Forums
Posted By: derekdwc Where are these streets please - 28th Jun 2012 2:24pm
Been down the archives looking at 1896/1900 licences and don't know where these streets were/are.
Any help would be appreciated
Demean Street poss may be Demain streetin Seacombe
Earl street
Meadow Lane
Mill street
Vincent street
Vine street
Walker street
Warrington street
Posted By: Norton Re: Where are these streets please - 28th Jun 2012 3:36pm
Vine St was parallel with Brook St and Price St, having Vittoria St at the east end and Livingstone St at the west end. It faced Cottage St, which is still there.

Walker St is still there, too. Opposite the top of Downham Rd, across Church Rd, with 'The Beehive' on the corner.

Vincent St still runs from Grange Rd (Pykes corner) to Borough Rd, behind the old fire station.

Mill St, Derby Rd to Church Rd, one road north of Whitfield St. Opposite the end of Aspendale Rd to the west, and the end of Thompson St to the east. Nowadays it's cut short and turns into Whitfield St. The Imperial Hotel is/was on the corner with Derby Rd.

Warrington St runs from the junction of Wheatstone Lane, Church Rd and Holt Hill. It goes south from there and parallel with Church St (but to the east of it) and into Thompson St.

I'll have to think about the others, but I didn't know of any licenced premises in the roads I've identified.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Where are these streets please - 28th Jun 2012 4:08pm
Desmense st pronounced demain, is close to Secombe ferry. Leasowe castle pub located there.
Posted By: solvas42 Re: Where are these streets please - 28th Jun 2012 4:29pm
Vincent street birkenhead is off grange road
Wallker st was off church road b-head
Warrington st was off top of whetstone lane jcn church road b-head
Posted By: gopher Re: Where are these streets please - 28th Jun 2012 4:42pm
Meadow Lane by Lidl, off Old chester Road opposite Well Lane
Posted By: alan128 Re: Where are these streets please - 28th Jun 2012 5:36pm
Meadow lane is off St Pauls road which is the road in the above post Streets off meadow lane were Meteor St,Comet st.Planet St and Lunar St.Pub at the corner of Meadow Lane and St Pauls Road is The Lord Napier
Alan
Posted By: chriskay Re: Where are these streets please - 28th Jun 2012 6:37pm
Originally Posted by dilly
Desmense st pronounced demain, is close to Secombe ferry. Leasowe castle pub located there.

Actually spelled Demesne St. Northwards continuation of Borough Rd. East.
A demesne was originally the land attached to a manor house and would usually be worked by the lord's tenants. The word is French; the English equivalent would be domain.
Posted By: Andysgirl Re: Where are these streets please - 28th Jun 2012 8:02pm
There is another Meadow lane which is the unmade road/track the runs off the top of Red Hill Road in Higher Bebington. It runs infront of Wishing Gate House. I dont think there was ever a pub there though!
Posted By: nightwalker Re: Where are these streets please - 28th Jun 2012 9:12pm
In 1901, the Revenue Hotel was at 30 Demesne Street, Poulton cum Seacombe - Michael Sherry, Tavern Keeper.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Where are these streets please - 28th Jun 2012 9:12pm
sorry for my mis spelling, but I thought this was a history section not an english test.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Where are these streets please - 28th Jun 2012 9:19pm
Originally Posted by dilly
sorry for my mis spelling, but I thought this was a history section not an english test.

I corrected the spelling in case anyone wanted to do a search for it; anyone searching for your spelling wouldn't have found it. Accuracy is important in a history context.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Where are these streets please - 28th Jun 2012 11:00pm
Thank you for all your replies.

Anyone know where Earl street is/was?

These may jog someone's memory
Alma Vaults Earl street
Wellington Vaults Earl street
Grosvenor Vaults Earl street
Royal Albert Inn Earl street
Posted By: Norton Re: Where are these streets please - 28th Jun 2012 11:14pm
Earl St was off St Pauls Road, according to the 1916 Birkenhead directory.
Also, there is still an Earl St between New Chester Rd and New Ferry Road, New Ferry. The directory only gives the one entry, which you can see in the extract.

Description: From Birkenhead Street Directory, 1916.
Attached picture Birkenhead Street Directory_Page_045_Earl St.jpg
Posted By: bonnieboo Re: Where are these streets please - 30th Jun 2012 5:08pm
queens vaults conway street
Posted By: Norton Re: Where are these streets please - 30th Jun 2012 5:55pm
Extract from Kellys Directory for 1902, below.

Note that some of the street names were changed.
Earl St used to be called Duke St, and is now Thorsway.
Blucher St used to be called Wellington St.
Pitt St and Brunswick St were not changed.

The comparisons were made using the 1875 Town Map (500) and the 1912 one.

The roads were to the south of St Pauls Rd, between the railway line and New Chester Road.

Attached picture Kellys 1902 Alpha A-Bla_Page_070_Earl St.jpg
Posted By: jimbob Re: Where are these streets please - 30th Jun 2012 6:08pm
If you walked down St Pauls Road and passed under the railway bridge the first street on your right was Earl Street. It ran along side the railway line and you reached Ionic Street school part way along it. This was in the 40s/50s. It probable disapeared when the school and houses in the area where knocked down.
Posted By: dougthepiano Re: Where are these streets please - 9th Dec 2012 12:32am
Earl St. = new ferry ( side of St. Marks church. - used to call church street in 1800s
Posted By: yewgarth Re: Where are these streets please - 9th Dec 2012 4:55pm
Originally Posted by dougthepiano
Earl St. = new ferry ( side of St. Marks church. - used to call church street in 1800s

I don't think that this is the Earl St that is being sought.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral