Forums
Posted By: chris58 Location of a Birkenhead street - 23rd Jun 2012 1:01pm
Going back to around the 1880's anyone any idea where Liverpool Terrace in Birkenhead was. My sister has a death certificate of a relative who died in a house there
Posted By: chriskay Re: Location of a Birkenhead street - 23rd Jun 2012 3:58pm
Nothing in Kellys/Gores 1894 & 1900. Must have been demolished before that I guess.
Posted By: ickymicky Re: Location of a Birkenhead street - 23rd Jun 2012 4:25pm
Rows of terraced houses were named like that in those days, one road could have many terraces. I used to live in Wallasey in a road that had 30 houses yet had 5 terraces. In the 1881 census they went by the terrace name and terrace number, in 1891 they went by both terrace name and terrace number and street name, in 1901 they went by street name and street number, almost as if they didn't use terrace names any more.
Do you know what road it was on or near? Birkenhead 1881 census could be helpful.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Location of a Birkenhead street - 23rd Jun 2012 5:54pm
Name on the death cert would help, Liverpool Terrace on the 1881 census shows up Nantwich.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Location of a Birkenhead street - 23rd Jun 2012 7:00pm
Only Liverpool Terrace I can find in directories are in Crewe.

found there was Liverpool Buildings in Tranmere
clicky
Posted By: TheDr Re: Location of a Birkenhead street - 23rd Jun 2012 8:12pm
I have some official documentation from the 60's which gives an address in Liverpool (Bootle) which has never existed in any records I can find anywhere.

The closest is a place that is pronounced, as it was written, but is spelt differently, so sometimes even the records themselves are not always 100% accurate.

Oh yes, there was a Liverpool Terrace on Virgil Street in The mid 1800's if that helps.
Posted By: granny Re: Location of a Birkenhead street - 23rd Jun 2012 11:22pm
Could it have been Pool Terrace 1861? Unfortunately, this link won't open but you can at least, see what it is.

http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php?title=Place:Birkenhead_Registration_District,_1861_Census_Street_Index_P-R

eg Living at Pool Terrace rather than Liverpool Terrace
Posted By: chris58 Re: Location of a Birkenhead street - 24th Jun 2012 2:14pm
Thanks for your help. Will look into it . Thanks again I knew I could rely on you all!
Posted By: Rover1 Re: Location of a Birkenhead street - 24th Jun 2012 2:43pm
I think there was a Liver Terrace off Old Chester Rd in Tranmere
Posted By: gopher Re: Location of a Birkenhead street - 24th Jun 2012 3:27pm
Originally Posted by Rover1
I think there was a Liver Terrace off Old Chester Rd in Tranmere

Thats LEVER TERRACE
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Location of a Birkenhead street - 25th Jun 2012 1:13pm
In the 1870s there was a terrace of properties called Liverpool Buildings. Together with Birkenhead Buildings and Mersey View they were situated in what was then called Rose Place off Union Street in Tranmere, just off New Chester Road. Most of Rose Place was subsequently renamed Roslyn Street, part of which still remains (though not the end where Liverpool Buildings was). That's the closest I can find to a Liverpool Terrace in any of the Directories.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral