Forums
Posted By: BennyBoy War medal - 19th May 2012 9:17am
Came into possession of a ww1 victory medal. I bought a replica ribbon etc to make it how it was. All I have of the person who won it was his name and initials of the regiment he was in.

I remember that somebody put up a website on here where you can find war records for free.

If anyone wants to help me find out more about this person then I would appreciate it.

I will post up the deatils of the soldier shortly
Posted By: bert1 Re: War medal - 19th May 2012 9:20am
I can run him through the Ancestry mangle for you Benny.
Posted By: BennyBoy Re: War medal - 19th May 2012 9:23am
His name is Frederick j Thompson. The document is blurry but underneath his name it says
RASC/1018241............

There are other numbers and initials which I can't make out. Can't upload the picture because I'm doing this off a phone.
Posted By: BennyBoy Re: War medal - 19th May 2012 9:23am
Thanks bert
Posted By: bert1 Re: War medal - 19th May 2012 10:08am
Up to now,

There are plenty of men with that name that served, only one so far on the medal roll in the RASC, unfortunately that number doesn't match and he never received that medal. If that number is his army number, he must have served after 1920, if that is the case, with him being in the RASC it should have a prefix, as follows.

S (Supplies), T (Transport), M (Mechanical Transport) or R (Remounts).

any more info you can make out.
Posted By: bert1 Re: War medal - 19th May 2012 10:29am
Benny,

Is there anything that could possibly resemble,

M/345794
Posted By: BennyBoy Re: War medal - 19th May 2012 11:57am
Hi best

In the top right hand corner I have:

ASC. ...... M/345794

The other number again

RASC/101824/94500

Then it looks like it says do do

That's all there is
Posted By: bert1 Re: War medal - 19th May 2012 1:19pm
Benny,

He was in the Royal Army Service Corps, his regimental number was M/345794, which is on his Medal Card.
He probably survived the war, can't find any pension records for him up to now, on saying that, not all records survived the bombing in WW2.

Attached picture medal card.jpg
Attached picture md.JPG
Posted By: BennyBoy Re: War medal - 19th May 2012 1:31pm
Thanks bert. The first document is what I have but couldn't read most of it. So we cannot get any more information about him then?

Thanks again appreciate it
Posted By: Laraine Re: War medal - 19th May 2012 9:43pm
Originally Posted by BennyBoy
Hi best

In the top right hand corner I have:

ASC. ...... M/345794

The other number again

RASC/101824/94500

Then it looks like it says do do

That's all there is

the do do usually means that there is another medal record, in this case the do do is on the line for British War Medal, there may be another card that could have further details on it, if it survives.
Posted By: Helles Re: War medal - 19th May 2012 10:36pm
Do do meaning ditto. He is not on the CWGC so survived the war. Was it RASC then or just ASC? Later RCT (Royal Corps of Transport) and now RLC (Royal Logistics Corps).
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: War medal - 20th May 2012 7:10am
Originally Posted by Helles
Do do meaning ditto. He is not on the CWGC so survived the war. Was it RASC then or just ASC? Later RCT (Royal Corps of Transport) and now RLC (Royal Logistics Corps).

An old army mate of mine reckoned it was RASC(Run Away Someone's Coming)
Posted By: bert1 Re: War medal - 20th May 2012 7:49am

They got the Royal after 1918, no more on this chap and as far as I know Ancestry have transcribed everything that was available after the fire. Both medals he received are on the one card, unlikely to be another one. The only option would be to get in touch with the RASC museum and see if they have anything on him, these days there's normally a fee and it could be money down the pan.
Posted By: Helles Re: War medal - 20th May 2012 1:26pm
Originally Posted by BandyCoot

An old army mate of mine reckoned it was RASC(Run Away Someone's Coming)

And then they changed to RCT Rickshaws, Camels and Taxis.
Posted By: joney Re: War medal - 21st May 2012 1:58pm
My father always said always said that A.S.C was Ally Slopers Cavalry.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral