Forums
Posted By: Norton Magazines markings mystery - 8th May 2012 3:50pm
I've always been puzzled by the meanings of the letters carved into the sandstone at either end of the Magazines by Vale Park.

"To HWM" might seem obvious, but it is a lot higher than the high water mark. We have WD (War Department) with its 'Crows Foot' mark, twice, and a number.

The wall is at the bottom of Magazine Lane, near the prom. The small stone in the pavement is at the southern end of the Magazines, in Magazine Brow.

Can anyone explain the markings for me, please?

Attached picture DSCF2120rw.JPG
Attached picture DSCF2117rw.JPG
Posted By: hoseman Re: Magazines markings mystery - 8th May 2012 4:39pm
The "To" mark is normally used to shorten Thomas I think!
Posted By: bert1 Re: Magazines markings mystery - 8th May 2012 5:07pm
Norton, last time it cropped up.

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums...5/magazine_brow_wallasey.html#Post319315
Posted By: Norton Re: Magazines markings mystery - 8th May 2012 6:17pm
Thanks for that, Bert. There's still things on this site that I havn't seen yet.

I accept that the arrow with bar above is a benchmark, and they can usually be matched up with the OS map.
I wonder if the numbers may refer to the equivalent of an inspectors stamp, as they appear in the same place as the finished marks?

The one thing that is still unanswered is the 'To HWM' carving as it does not fit with the finish mark or benchmark at other locations.
Posted By: Helles Re: Magazines markings mystery - 8th May 2012 6:20pm
You have to think before the prom was built. Why wouldn't it be the high water mark if there was just a beach in front of it? They stored the gun powder from ships visiting Liverpool so had to row it there. Seems practical to me?
Posted By: Wally1 Re: Magazines markings mystery - 9th May 2012 3:22pm
I think it means that the land/beach from
the mark down to the High Water Mark is owned
or controlled by the War Dept.
Posted By: Gold_Moon Re: Magazines markings mystery - 9th May 2012 11:28pm
Anyone seen the carving in the sandstone wall on the beach itself? It says "Legio Patria Nostra" and it's the motto of the French Foreign Legion. Who carved that I wonder? And why?
Now there's ANOTHER mystery! sherlock
Posted By: Gold_Moon Re: Magazines markings mystery - 12th Jun 2012 11:55pm
Just thought I'd add a couple of photo's of the carving for those who haven't seen it before...

It's not as clear up close as it is from the shore, because as you can see, it's overgrown with seaweed and moss.

For those of you who would like to look for themselves, be very, VERY careful if you're going to walk on the ledge, it's treacherously slippy!

Description: Wall carving
Attached picture Legio Patria (close up).JPG

Description: Wall carving from shore
Attached picture Legio Patria (from shore) - Copy.JPG
© Wirral-Wikiwirral