Forums
Posted By: derekdwc Claughton Manor - 31st Mar 2012 10:01am
Where would Claughton Manor have been sited today and any pics and info of it?
Possibly at the top of Tollemach Rd/Upton Rd junction?

A View of Birkenhead from Claughton Manor, Wirral
by G. Dove
Date painted: c.1850

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/...ings&page=2

Attached picture claughton manor.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Claughton Manor - 31st Mar 2012 10:05am
info here
https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/282783/Old_old_map_Flaybrick_Hills.html
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Claughton Manor - 31st Mar 2012 10:34am
Thanks bert
Now got a good idea where it was.
I wonder if the buildings in the foreground in painting were fronting Birkenhead Park?

Attached picture manor hall.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Claughton Manor - 31st Mar 2012 12:50pm
Possibly and the park was open in 1847, what would the 2 churches be, Holy Trinity and St Lawrence's?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Claughton Manor - 31st Mar 2012 1:40pm
Must of been a blooming big manor, that looks very high up.

would like to see a picture of the manor.

Bck in the days of civilized people and non over population, you can see people enjoying themselves in the park having a relaxing day, fat chance of that these days.
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Claughton Manor - 31st Mar 2012 3:51pm
Originally Posted by derekdwc
Thanks bert
Now got a good idea where it was.
I wonder if the buildings in the foreground in painting were fronting Birkenhead Park?

The large house just right of centre was called Outwood; it became St Anselm's College in 1933. At the extreme right amongst the trees you can see Cathcart, home to various members of the Laird family.

St Anne's Church spire is on the left, St John's on the right, and the tower of Holy Trinity is just visible right in the centre.
Posted By: littlestan Re: Claughton Manor - 31st Mar 2012 5:53pm
The past editions of the Newsletter of the Birkenhead History Society are a great source of reference , Issue No 84,Page 1( Front) has a fine print of the large Italianate Mansion which was the residence of William Jackson . Inside-page 2
has a Map. All that is left today is a Gate post in Manor Hill - between St. Anselms
and Birkenhead High School for girls. Sorry, my computer skills do not stretch to
copying the picture and putting it up onto this site . Perhaps somebody at
WIKI WIRRAL could give a tutorial on this but it would have to be simply put for
my tiny brain to take it in. You may be interested to know that Peter de Loriel
is the nearest ancestor of William Jackson and he resides in West London and owns
several properties in Kensington & Chelsea.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Claughton Manor - 3rd Apr 2012 12:57pm
The place I thought was it was the lodge

Attached picture manor.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral