Forums
Posted By: ghostly1 The York Tavern (Hotel) Oxton - 11th Mar 2012 5:01pm
Apologise if there is already a post out there about this.

RE: the York Tavern or hotel

I am looking For any more info about this pub or possibly even a pic?? I know it was somewhere at the top of Townfield lane in Oxton but not sure which side and I know the name of the landlord in its hey day. Any other info but be much appreciated and that pic would be amazing :-)

Cheers in advance!
Posted By: Geekus Re: The York Tavern (Hotel) Oxton - 11th Mar 2012 6:32pm
According to the Oxton Society web-site, the village bookshop is opening a permanent archive on the history of Oxton on March 17th (next Saturday). Might be a good place to look if you don't get any other info on here.

You may find something on their pages about it anyway if you go through the links.

http://www.oxtonsociety.org.uk/
Posted By: ghostly1 Re: The York Tavern (Hotel) Oxton - 11th Mar 2012 7:04pm
Many thanks geek us for the heads up will give them
Both a try smile
Posted By: Lightning Re: The York Tavern (Hotel) Oxton - 11th Mar 2012 7:10pm
brilliant feedback Geekus thats what you call wikki spirit thumbsup
Posted By: chriskay Re: The York Tavern (Hotel) Oxton - 11th Mar 2012 7:53pm
Originally Posted by Lightning
brilliant feedback Geekus thats what you call wikki spirit thumbsup

It's wiki, wiki, wiki!!!
Posted By: ghostly1 Re: The York Tavern (Hotel) Oxton - 13th Mar 2012 12:26am
Thanks again I booked the archive intro on Saturday will return feedback how I get on wink
Posted By: derekdwc Re: The York Tavern (Hotel) Oxton - 13th Mar 2012 12:14pm
If you do get a pic please post it in the pub forum
Posted By: ghostly1 Re: The York Tavern (Hotel) Oxton - 17th Mar 2012 2:15pm
No pics I'm afraid just got back from a very interesting meeting about the oxton society and their archives which are available in the cellar of the post office in Christchurch road.
Posted By: masterbun Re: The York Tavern (Hotel) Oxton - 31st Mar 2012 2:05am
Sorry never heard of it.
I used to live at the top of Townfield Lane and the only pub was the Carnarvon Castle.
The only 2 properties at the top were 3 Bidston Road (now Townfield Court and 1 Townfield Lane) and the Oxton Cricket Club.
3 Bidston was built just after WW1 together with 1 Bidston Road (now Homebank) as diplomatic residences.
The original Oxton Village was centred around here in the 19th centuary where Bidston Rd is very much wider (opposite St Saviour's). It may have been there. Bit before my time !!!
Posted By: bert1 Re: The York Tavern (Hotel) Oxton - 31st Mar 2012 1:36pm
A little here on it, may have to copy and paste link

http://78.110.174.12/~oxtons/images/stories/newsletterhistory1106.pdf
Posted By: masterbun Re: The York Tavern (Hotel) Oxton - 31st Mar 2012 2:18pm
Relevant part of Bert's link
" This particular establishment was
sometimes called Th York Hotel or The
York Tavern, but always being owned by
Joseph Hanson. The York Tavern was in the
old Oxton Village, set back from the road at
the top of Townfield Lane. Its first licensed
victualler was Peter Nichols (1841)... "
So we have a date.
There was no trace of the old village in my time after WW2 just derelict land till the houses now extant were built in early 1950's (5,7,9 Bidston I think).
I have been down this road trying to find maps of about late 19th & early 20th which cover this area. I have seen a photo of the old village when the road was very narrow but can't track it down.
Posted By: Geekus Re: The York Tavern (Hotel) Oxton - 31st Mar 2012 8:40pm
There's a fab history file you can download full of maps and photographs of the Oxton area.

Great for anyone remotely interested in the history of Oxton Village. Save a copy to your computer to read at leisure. It's over 80 pages long! Well worth a look.

www.wirral.gov.uk/downloads/2315 happy
Posted By: Geekus Re: The York Tavern (Hotel) Oxton - 31st Mar 2012 9:28pm
If you look on the Cheshire Tithe Maps Online website and enter in the name of Joseph Hanson, Oxton
plot number 241 gives the location of the only property linked to that person's name. It was a row of three small cottages with gardens.

Perhaps, one of these was The York Tavern?
Posted By: bert1 Re: The York Tavern (Hotel) Oxton - 1st Apr 2012 6:27am
The 1841 census for Oxton shows Peter Nichols living with his 4 children, their address is given as "Village" and his occupation is Publican. In 1851 his address is still "Village" and his occupation looks like (bad writing) Collector of Taxes.

Joseph Hanson in 1841, his address is only given as "Village" and his occupation was Tailor. In 1851 I couldn't make out his occupation but it doesn't look like anything to do with the ale trade.Address again "Village"

Also living in the Village in 1851 is John Knowles?, occupation , Innkeeper.

I didn't count them but there must have been 20+ families with the address "Village".
Posted By: marty99fred Re: The York Tavern (Hotel) Oxton - 1st Apr 2012 9:42am
Originally Posted by bert1
Joseph Hanson in 1841, his address is only given as "Village" and his occupation was Tailor. In 1851 I couldn't make out his occupation but it doesn't look like anything to do with the ale trade.Address again "Village".

His occupation in 1851 was Grocer. As such he could have held a licence for off-sales of beer, wine or 'sweets' (ie mead, metheglin and fruit wines).
Posted By: derekdwc Re: The York Tavern (Hotel) Oxton - 1st Apr 2012 1:12pm
It could have been a beerhouse originally and then upgraded to an inn/hotel/tavern/public house
Posted By: bert1 Re: The York Tavern (Hotel) Oxton - 1st Apr 2012 7:17pm
Whilst looking at the 1851 census the numerator has recorded Noctorum Rd before the Village and it appears to be Moss St after it, anyone know where Moss St was?
Posted By: Geekus Re: The York Tavern (Hotel) Oxton - 1st Apr 2012 9:17pm
...anyone know where Moss St was?

Could be coincidence, but there's a Moss Lane and a Moss Grove just off Woodchurch Road and Singleton Avenue.
Posted By: bert1 Re: The York Tavern (Hotel) Oxton - 2nd Apr 2012 7:10am
Originally Posted by Geekus
...anyone know where Moss St was?

Could be coincidence, but there's a Moss Lane and a Moss Grove just off Woodchurch Road and Singleton Avenue.

Thanks Geekus, I assumed also it could have been over that way, it had about 10 occupants give or take, they are all recorded as labourers, farm labourers and gardeners, tied cottages perhaps.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral