Forums
Posted By: areyoumycuz looking for my roots - 2nd Mar 2012 8:09pm
Hi Wirralians, I'm a Canadian in search of my roots so I'll be hanging out in the history section. Love to hear from anyone named Elmslie, Stirling, Broster, Woodward or Mort with an interest in genealogy.
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: looking for my roots - 2nd Mar 2012 10:10pm
Welcome to Wiki hi
Posted By: Snodvan Re: looking for my roots - 2nd Mar 2012 10:15pm
Do you have known family links to this part of the world?

Snod
Posted By: Lightning Re: looking for my roots - 2nd Mar 2012 10:44pm
Welcome to wikki x
Posted By: Capt_America Re: looking for my roots - 2nd Mar 2012 11:44pm
Welcome to the WikiWirral machine © Capt America 2008

Posted By: granny Re: looking for my roots - 3rd Mar 2012 1:46pm
Hello areyoumycuz. No, I'm not your cuz, can't help with that but welcome to Wiki.
Posted By: Helles Re: looking for my roots - 3rd Mar 2012 3:51pm
Think there are quite a few Brosters living in Moreton?
Posted By: areyoumycuz Re: looking for my roots - 3rd Mar 2012 7:59pm
Originally Posted by Snodvan
Do you have known family links to this part of the world?

Snod

Hi Snod, My Grandfather moved to Canada as a young boy in the early 1900's. He was born in Tranmere in 1907. His parents were James Elmslie and Beatrice Broster. His uncles were Alexander Elmslie and William Elmslie and his aunts were Maggie and Sara. All were born in Birkenhead between 1871 and 1883. I know that Maggie moved to Scotland and I am in touch with a cousin there. On the Broster side he had 4 uncles, George, Peter, Thomas and Edward; and an aunt, Mary. All were born in Bromborough between 1858 and 1880. I have no contact with anyone on that side. Wouldn't it be cool if someone scrolled by my post and recognized this family!
Posted By: areyoumycuz Re: looking for my roots - 3rd Mar 2012 8:04pm
Originally Posted by Helles
Think there are quite a few Brosters living in Moreton?

Hi Helles. Do you know any of them? I'd love to be put in touch.
Posted By: areyoumycuz Re: looking for my roots - 3rd Mar 2012 8:06pm
Thanks for all the welcomes!
Posted By: Geekus Re: looking for my roots - 3rd Mar 2012 8:31pm
Beatrice Broster (and quite a few other local Brosters) are mentioned on this link:

http://www.uk.mundia.com/gb/Search/Results?surname=BROSTER&birthPlace=United%20Kingdom

The Broster name goes back quite a long way in the Bromborough area. As early as 17th Century.
Posted By: Geekus Re: looking for my roots - 3rd Mar 2012 8:51pm
You might also find the following of interest, as there appear to be a few others researching the Brosters of Wirral:

http://131740.activeboard.com/t44082400/the-farming-brosters/?page=1&sort=newestFirst

Posted By: Sarah_ZR Re: looking for my roots - 4th Mar 2012 1:00am
Welcome to Wikki smile
Posted By: areyoumycuz Re: looking for my roots - 5th Mar 2012 5:35pm
Geekus: Thanks so much for your suggestions. The trees at Mundia turned out to be the ones my cousin and I created at Ancestry a few years ago. Now I am busy copying the info, one person at a time, to a new tree on Mundia. In doing so, I have found a few lateral connections but nothing new that goes back farther than I have gone already. I read the link about 'farming Brosters' but I am not hopeful. all the brosters I have recorded have been millers, merchants and labourers. Cheers. J
Posted By: Geekus Re: looking for my roots - 6th Mar 2012 10:54pm
Originally Posted by areyoumycuz
I read the link about 'farming Brosters' but I am not hopeful. all the brosters I have recorded have been millers, merchants and labourers. Cheers. J

Might be worth you leaving a message for 'Little Nest' on the Old Wirral web-site or try emailing if contact details are available. The person probably found details of many other Brosters whilst researching those in the farming community.

You could also try contacting the Family History Society of Cheshire:

http://www.fhsc.org.uk/

Posted By: bri445 Re: looking for my roots - 7th Mar 2012 5:33pm
I seem to remember the Broster name at Stanton Road School, Bebington, in the early 1940s.
Posted By: chriskay Re: looking for my roots - 7th Mar 2012 7:03pm
There was a Broster at Birkenhead School in 1948. He was a couple of years ahead of me. Can't remember his first name. I guess he would have been born 1933/4/5.
Posted By: ex0__ Re: looking for my roots - 8th Mar 2012 12:58pm
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Lightning Re: looking for my roots - 8th Mar 2012 1:44pm
Originally Posted by ex0__
[Linked Image]
laugh i see you found yours good one raftl
Posted By: chris58 Re: looking for my roots - 8th Mar 2012 1:51pm
I work with a Broster and my son knows a Mort I will ask if either linked to those names
Posted By: areyoumycuz Re: looking for my roots - 20th Mar 2012 3:24pm
Awesome roots! Thank you, but I think mine are a little deeper than those. wink
Posted By: areyoumycuz Re: looking for my roots - 20th Mar 2012 3:26pm
Originally Posted by chris58
I work with a Broster and my son knows a Mort I will ask if either linked to those names

Thanks Chris. Eager to hear if they know anything. Broster seems to be pretty common but I haven't come across any other Morts.
Posted By: bert1 Re: looking for my roots - 20th Mar 2012 3:37pm
Hi,
was your grandfather sent to Canada as part of the infamous Home Children scheme.
Posted By: granny Re: looking for my roots - 20th Mar 2012 6:25pm
Just as a matter o interest. A friend of mine went to Landican Cemetry last week to do a search on burials at Bebington and one other church. Had she continued it would have cost £42...so she didn't bother. Is that normal?

Sorry if I'm off topic a bit but it might warn someone.
Posted By: areyoumycuz Re: looking for my roots - 22nd Mar 2012 4:42pm
Originally Posted by bert1
Hi,
was your grandfather sent to Canada as part of the infamous Home Children scheme.

Hi Bert. He emigrated with his parents, James Elmslie and Beatrice Broster.
Posted By: areyoumycuz Re: looking for my roots - 22nd Mar 2012 4:44pm
Originally Posted by granny
Just as a matter o interest. A friend of mine went to Landican Cemetry last week to do a search on burials at Bebington and one other church. Had she continued it would have cost £42...so she didn't bother. Is that normal?

Hi Granny. I don't know anything about it, but it sounds very expensive to me if she was doing it herself. I guess if they have staff doing the search, it makes sense to charge a fee, but that still sounds steep.
Posted By: Helles Re: looking for my roots - 23rd Mar 2012 1:23pm
Originally Posted by granny

Just go to Birkenhead library and pay 60p to use the viewer and all the deaths are recorded there including where buried if applicable. Never heard of anyone being charged unless the staff do the search but stand to be corrected.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral