Forums
Posted By: ManxCat Vine Street Birkenhead - 19th Feb 2012 5:44pm
Hi smile

Does anyone have any information about Vine Street in Birkenhead?

My ancestors lived there around 1911 to 1921.

I believe it's no longer there and may have been bombed during the war years.

Many Thanks
Posted By: arsenal Re: Vine Street Birkenhead - 19th Feb 2012 7:55pm
it was off livingstone street, between price street and brook street
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Vine Street Birkenhead - 19th Feb 2012 8:44pm
The pre-war maps show buildings along both sides of vine street (as it was in 1913 also), the post-war map shows only numbers 5 to 33 which were the SW quartile of the road.

I've got no records of Vine Street being bombed but Livingstone Street had more than its fair share of bombs and incendiary devices.

Description: Vine Street 1936
Attached picture Vine-St-1936.jpg

Description: Vine Street 1954
Attached picture Vine-Street-1954.jpg
Posted By: BJH4488 Re: Vine Street Birkenhead - 19th Feb 2012 9:47pm
Hi
My great-grandfather used to live at 44 Vine Street from about 1895, where my grandmother and her 3 sisters were born in the early 1900s. Later (about 1912) they moved to 50 Vine Street, were my mother was born. My great-grandfather died in 1935 and the family moved out of Vine Street to Bidston. I don’t know when Vine Street was demolished but I suspect it was in the slum clearance in the late 50s, early 60s.
I do have the census forms from 1901 and 1911 for Vine Street (houses around 44 and 50) if they will help. I have not been able to find any old photos of the area but my great-grandfather used to drink in the “Old English” pub on the corner of Livingstone Street (I think there is an old photo on this site)

Barry
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Vine Street Birkenhead - 19th Feb 2012 10:28pm
Vine Street disappeared sometime between 1966 and 1971 when the extent factory warehouses were built on the site
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Vine Street Birkenhead - 20th Feb 2012 3:15pm
I used to knock around in Viney when I was a kid. The top end was bombed, up at the Livingstone St end, and a couple of houses at the bottom by Vittoria Street as well. My Gran lived there as a kid, which I didn't know about until recently. Had an aunt who lived there until it got demolished as well. Remember lots of the families that lived there. They mostly got moved to the North End, up near the River Streets area. I still nip into the Piggy for a pint in case any of the old crowd turn up, no joy yet. I used to drink in the "Old English Gentleman", or the "Gents" my self when I was home on leave. There, the Shamrock, the North Star, the Myrtle, Never fussed on the Atlantic for some reason. It was a good area to live though, if a bit rough. I lived on the corner of Vittoria and Cleveland by the Falcon Laundry.
Posted By: ManxCat Re: Vine Street Birkenhead - 20th Feb 2012 3:19pm
Thanks DiggingDeeper,

Your maps and information are just what I need.

Cheers Mate smile
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Vine Street Birkenhead - 20th Feb 2012 3:28pm
Just noticed the second map Manx, it shows where the bombed houses made a difference, forgot about the ones on the right hand side also being flattened. It was a rough field all the way up there, towards Marchbanks woodyard which was on Livvy. Your folks and mine would have known each other, amazing coincidence.
Posted By: ManxCat Re: Vine Street Birkenhead - 20th Feb 2012 3:29pm
Thanks Barry,

My ancestors the Ferguson's moved from Scotland in the early 1900's and settled in Vine Street Birkenhead. The 1911 Census places them at 47 then 40 then 38 in 1921.

smile
Posted By: ManxCat Re: Vine Street Birkenhead - 20th Feb 2012 3:36pm
Cheers BandyCoot,

Looks like it was bombed afterall at the end of the road my ancestors lived in. I know they did all move onto Beckwith street and then the Towers in Vicky Park.

Your memories are very interesting, now I know were my great grandad may have drank.

Yes the Fergies were at three house in Vine Street back then.

smile
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Vine Street Birkenhead - 20th Feb 2012 5:02pm
from 1916 Wilmers

Attached picture vine st .jpg
Attached picture vine st 2.jpg
Posted By: ManxCat Re: Vine Street Birkenhead - 20th Feb 2012 5:12pm
Thanks Derek,

This is interesting, I take it it's a list of Vine Street residents and occupations. My Fergie worked on the docks then.

smile
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Vine Street Birkenhead - 21st Feb 2012 1:20pm
Yep cheers Derek, my great grandad was John Samuels living at 45, the Stotts from 65 ended up in Vittoria Street, probably old Jimmy's lad but it could well have been the one mentioned on the list as he was old. There's other names I recognise from the town as well so it's a good list.
Thomas Samuels, who would have been my Nan's brother got killed in WWI and I have his "Death Medal", which I found in the market.
Posted By: debs54 Re: Vine Street Birkenhead - 3rd Apr 2012 9:40am
My parents lived at number 25 vine street in the 40s,then moved to the north end.
Posted By: Jeeps Re: Vine Street Birkenhead - 7th Apr 2012 2:07pm
The Robert Kendal at no. 69 was my husband's gt. uncle. He was there on the 1911 Census with his wife Isabella and their four girls Annie, Isabella, Marie and Eveline. Robert's brother Joseph was also living there and both were shipyard workers.

Robert completed the census himself, confirming there to be four rooms at the property - "scullery, landing, lobby, closet, bathroom" were not to be classed as a room. From my (now dim) knowledge of the area I think it was a typical two up, two down. I very much doubt there would have been a bathroom at the property and Livingstone Street Public Baths were just along the way.
Posted By: Jonnymac Re: Vine Street Birkenhead - 10th Feb 2018 2:25pm
Yeh wasn't all bombed as I was born at no 17 in may 44 , MCALENY's
Posted By: Fergies13 Re: Vine Street Birkenhead - 8th Oct 2020 7:02am
Hi
I notice this post whilst researching my family’s history.
Some how we are related assume via one of my fathers brothers. I lived in the Towers from 1952 until it was pulled down.
Posted By: Mollie3 Re: Vine Street Birkenhead - 22nd Mar 2021 10:25pm
My grandmother - Frances Ann Chiverton ( as she was then ) lived at 5 Vine Street in 1901, together with her husband Roscoe Chiverton and her father John Pearson.
By 1902 Frances and Roscoe had moved to 11 Vine Street.
Posted By: Mollie3 Re: Vine Street Birkenhead - 22nd Mar 2021 10:27pm
Can anyone tell me why I am unable to open the downloads on the previous page ?
Posted By: Salmon Re: Vine Street Birkenhead - 23rd Mar 2021 7:35am
You need to subscribe to be able to see pictures and other things. This link will explain it for you.
https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/subscriptions.html
© Wirral-Wikiwirral