Forums
Posted By: cooldarls war memorials in wirral - 14th Feb 2012 10:51pm
Hi everyone I am hoping you maybe able to help me. I am trying to research were there are War memorials in the wirral area. This is for a project I am doing with a few friends.

Every week War Memorials all through the country are being vandalised for the brass and other metals on them. We are working we a charity who are wanting to record where all these are and make a note of who looks after them. THe war memorials can be Crosses, chruch windows, roll of honour and statues.

These are very important to alot of people and should be looked after and protected.

please please help. If you let me know where they are we will go out mark them on a map and take photographs.

Thankyou in advance for all your help and support.

Emma xxx
Posted By: Geekus Re: war memorials in wirral - 14th Feb 2012 10:58pm
...only problem is, any would be metal thieves reading this thread will get a heads-up on where to target next.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: war memorials in wirral - 14th Feb 2012 11:08pm
This guy has done an amazing job and beaten you to it.

CARL'S CAM

Also the War Memorials Trust website is worth a look

English War Memorials
Posted By: Helles Re: war memorials in wirral - 14th Feb 2012 11:21pm
I've got some photo's of Wirral ones, plus most of the war graves on the Wirral if they are any good to you?
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: war memorials in wirral - 15th Feb 2012 11:35am
Originally Posted by cooldarls
Hi everyone I am hoping you maybe able to help me. I am trying to research were there are War memorials in the wirral area.
If you let me know where they are we will go out mark them on a map and take photographs.

Emma xxx

There is a War Memorial Officer at Wirral Borough council who might have some useful information.

There is a beautiful Bronze WW1 Wallasey Memorial plaque in the corridor next to reception at Mill Lane Hospital Wirral. St Oswalds Church Bidston has interesting War memorial plaques
Posted By: Norton Re: war memorials in wirral - 15th Feb 2012 12:37pm
The Memorial plaque at Mill Lane used to live on a wall of the old hospital on that site. It was very nearly scrapped when the old building was being demolished. Thankfully, a sharp eyed member of staff spotted what was happening, literally just hours before it was gone forever..
Posted By: Lil_bird Re: war memorials in wirral - 17th Feb 2012 9:36am
There is one (a cross dedicated to the merchant seamen who perished I think) on Liscard Road in the grounds of the old church that has just been sold. Easily visible from the pavement, no brass on it for any prying scumbags
Posted By: Geekus Re: war memorials in wirral - 17th Feb 2012 10:56am
The lists on the Carl's Cam site are certainly very good but still appear to be missing a few. For example, I don't think they mention the memorials at many branches of the Royal British Legion; Rafa Clubs; and RNA throughout the area.

Also some of the earlier war memorial sites, like the Boer War statue of Britannia in Wallasey's Central Park appears to be missing from the list (it's made of stone so I'm happy enough to mention it).

By the way, what's the name of the charity you are helping? Surely the War Memorials Trust already does what you claim to be doing?

Posted By: Wench Re: war memorials in wirral - 17th Feb 2012 11:19am
There's a beautiful sandstone one in Town Lane cemetery. I found it by accident when a relatives name jumped out at me. It's on the bottom right hand side if you're at the gates.
Posted By: cooldarls Re: war memorials in wirral - 26th Feb 2012 11:09pm
hi everybody. thankyou for getting back to me. I have been having trouble with my computer the last couple of weeks. I understand some of you are alittle bit worried about who i am doing this for. Here is a copy of the email i was sent.

Members of all Cadet Forces are encouraged to take part in Project “In Memoriam 2014”. This project is supported by all Cadet HQs.

The project involves locating, logging and protecting of thousands of war memorials across the United Kingdom .

Cadets are asked to locate war memorials in the local area and register details of their location, custodian and type of memorial on a dedicated “In Memoriam 2014” website. The website can also be used to alert the War Memorials Trust to any vandalism or other damage that may have been caused. If a custodian cannot be found it may be possible for cadet units to become registered custodians.

War memorials do not just have to be the traditional stone crosses with engraved metal plates. They can be any object from a Roll of Honour Book to a stained glass window that has been created, erected or installed to commemorate those involved or affected by a war or conflict.

In Memoriam 2014 is a joint project, organised by the War Memorials Trust and the SmartWater Foundation. It is estimated that approximately one war memorial a week is being stripped of its metal components by thieves for scrap.

I hope this clears some stuff up for you all. i think i have some hunting and photos to be taking.

thankyou all
Posted By: chriskay Re: war memorials in wirral - 27th Feb 2012 10:10am
Don't forget the Wilfred Owen memorial window in Birkenhead Library.

Attached picture Library small.jpg
Posted By: Helles Re: war memorials in wirral - 27th Feb 2012 11:50am
Wilfred Owen one is the most brilliant one. Should be reproduced all over.

The best memorial that I have ever seen is the Port Sunlight one. The detail in it is amazing plus it lists every man killed from the area. All more or less Levers workers.

The memorial in Mill Lane hospital lists every man killed in the first war from Wallasey. Have a photo somewhere but can't find it.
Posted By: Wench Re: war memorials in wirral - 27th Feb 2012 12:38pm
Not sure if you will class this as one to be looked at as it's in Liverpool, but I love it:

Attached picture SD card - liverpool and ships etc 115.JPG
Attached picture SD card - liverpool and ships etc 117.JPG
Attached picture SD card - liverpool and ships etc 118.JPG
© Wirral-Wikiwirral