Forums
Posted By: NJC1971 The murder of Nellie Clarke, January 1925 - 21st Jan 2012 10:19am
Hi all, i'm new to the site but have spent the last week reading through the threads and looking at some great photos

Apologies if this is already mentioned somewhere, but I can't find it after a good search of the site.

As a child, my Nan told me the story of Nellie Clarke, who was found murdered a back alley behind Spenser Avenue, Rock Ferry. Nan had lived in Spenser Ave in the 1950's, so I imagine the story had been passed along through the generations.

I have found this little bit from the Wirral Globe, but it doesn't really tell you a lot:

http://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/1921475.mystery_of_the_pink_envelope/

Does anyone know anymore about the story?

I remember reading a book about the murder a few years ago, it covered the story in a lot more detail, and mentioned a few suspects, one being Father Christmas from the party, or a policeman? But, I can't remember what the book was called, or where I got it from.

This story may explain my irrational fear of Father Christmas. crazy
Posted By: bert1 Re: The murder of Nellie Clarke, January 1925 - 21st Jan 2012 10:41am
Have a look at link,
Nelly's story

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/523434
Posted By: NJC1971 Re: The murder of Nellie Clarke, January 1925 - 21st Jan 2012 11:04am
Oh thank you - interesting site.
Posted By: Maisie Re: The murder of Nellie Clarke, January 1925 - 21st Jan 2012 4:12pm
Funnily enough I read a book with the story in a few days ago. The book is called Merseyside Murders of the 1920's.
I might be able to scan the story for you!!
Posted By: Maisie Re: The murder of Nellie Clarke, January 1925 - 21st Jan 2012 4:35pm
Ok here you go managed to scan the whole story.

Attached picture img096.jpg
Attached picture img097.jpg
Attached picture img098.jpg
Attached picture img099.jpg
Posted By: NJC1971 Re: The murder of Nellie Clarke, January 1925 - 21st Jan 2012 6:29pm
Thank you Maisie - i'll read this tonight.

I was speaking to my Mum about the story earlier today. They lived in Spenser Ave until she was in her teens, and she always remembers being scared of that back alley and running past it without looking when she went to the shop. She also had the irrational fear of Father Christmas when she was a child. We're blaming my Nan, her Mum, for sharing this story with us when we were little.
Posted By: Maisie Re: The murder of Nellie Clarke, January 1925 - 21st Jan 2012 7:14pm
You're very welcome smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral