Forums
Posted By: Elizabeth High Tide at Parkgate? - 10th Dec 2011 3:36am
I've tried looking on the Wirral History forum to see if I can find anything about high tide at Parkgate but realised I would have to spend umpteen hours sifting through all the posts tired Browsing through another website earlier I saw an old photograph from the 1940's showing high tide there (I'd post a link to it on here if I knew how to)
Anyway, does anyone know when the last time was that the tide came up to the wall and also are there ways of telling when or if it may happen again?
Posted By: bert1 Re: High Tide at Parkgate? - 10th Dec 2011 4:48am
might be something in this, haven't read through it.

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/475595/1.html
Posted By: Salmon Re: High Tide at Parkgate? - 10th Dec 2011 7:25am
If you go to Dee Estuary Birding, lots of info there

http://www.deeestuary.co.uk/tides.htm
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: High Tide at Parkgate? - 10th Dec 2011 11:42am
I found it a complete yawn. The tide trickles in at a snail's pace.
Posted By: Geekus Re: High Tide at Parkgate? - 10th Dec 2011 11:49am
Originally Posted by Elizabeth
I've tried looking on the Wirral History forum to see if I can find anything about high tide at Parkgate but realised I would have to spend umpteen hours sifting through all the posts tired Browsing through another website earlier I saw an old photograph from the 1940's showing high tide there (I'd post a link to it on here if I knew how to)
Anyway, does anyone know when the last time was that the tide came up to the wall and also are there ways of telling when or if it may happen again?

Try this link for old photos -
https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums...at_House_and_Swimming_Po.html#Post314994
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: High Tide at Parkgate? - 10th Dec 2011 2:39pm
I saw the highest tide in four years it was halfway up the Bank wall opposite the Red lion .... as it come in` swarms of field mice came over the sea wall would've made a good photo
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: High Tide at Parkgate? - 10th Dec 2011 3:24pm
When was that Vanmanone. I've been down a couple of times for spring tides and they have been none event tbh
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: High Tide at Parkgate? - 10th Dec 2011 3:27pm
Must admit I have had the same dissapointment SS.
Posted By: petzl Re: High Tide at Parkgate? - 10th Dec 2011 3:32pm
Heres a pic i lifted from a dvd shot @ parkgate in 1990 i believe.

Attached picture p gate 90.jpg
Posted By: yoller Re: High Tide at Parkgate? - 10th Dec 2011 3:51pm
High tide in a storm, about 1930

Attached picture tide1930.jpg
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: High Tide at Parkgate? - 10th Dec 2011 3:58pm
Originally Posted by Softy_Southerner
When was that Vanmanone. I've been down a couple of times for spring tides and they have been none event tbh
About eight or so years ago smile
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: High Tide at Parkgate? - 10th Dec 2011 4:10pm
Originally Posted by Bezzymate
Must admit I have had the same dissapointment SS.
About four times a year it comes in .. If it were me` I would have a look the "Speed=high tide" its coming in` save yourself a wasted journey.This is one site you could look at however am sure there are better tide tables about

http://www.deeestuary.co.uk/tides.htm
Posted By: Historybook Re: High Tide at Parkgate? - 10th Dec 2011 4:17pm
The last time i can say i saw the tide over the wall was in the mid 80's, i can also recal poping in to see a friend in parkgate at the beginning of 1991 and the tide was right up but not over the wall when i saw it !.

I have seen the tide far higher in the past when no one was about than when it has been a publicised high tide event !.
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: High Tide at Parkgate? - 11th Dec 2011 1:03am
Thanks for all the info. I used to visit Parkgate a lot and never once saw the water up to the wall or anywhere near it. I had heard it mentioned too, Vanmanone that rats & mice scurry to dry land when the tide comes in.
Posted By: PaulTaters Re: High Tide at Parkgate? - 21st Dec 2011 9:59pm
I was just going through some of my photos this evening, when I saw these I took on 30th March 2002. This was with my first digital camera.

I didn't go to Parkgate that day to see the incoming tide, I just happened to be there when I saw it slowly trickling in towards the wall. (This is incredibly tame compared to the 1990 and 1930 pics! laugh )

Whether it came in any further or not that day, I don't really know as I didn't hang around for too long - as others have said it was coming in really slowly. I certainly missed the peak of the tide, but I don't think it broke any records though. laugh

Still as always, plenty of people gathered at Parkgate to watch it.

Attached picture DSC_0198.jpg
Attached picture DSC_0210.jpg
Attached picture DSC_0213.jpg
Posted By: greasby_lad Re: High Tide at Parkgate? - 29th Dec 2011 7:54pm
Tide heights are the result of –
(1) astronomical effects, which can be predicted
(2) meteorological effects which can not be predicted.

Astronomical – Spring tides are nothing to do with the Spring season. Each month has two spring tides – at full moon and at new moon. The moon is the main influence on the height of high water. The sun also has an effect but it is much less than the moon. Twice every year, around each equinox, the alignment of the sun and moon causes a stronger than normal influence on the tides – for 2012 these dates are 10th March (high water predicted to be 9.98 metres above Chart Datum) and 16th October (predicted to be 10 metres above CD). (A particularly high water of 10.37 metres is predicted on 29th September 2015.)

Meteorological – air pressure, wind direction and wind speed have a significant effect on water height. The bird-watchers who gather at Parkgate on the dates shown above will hope for low air pressure combined with a strong westerly wind. An exceptional storm surge on 27th October 2002 added 2.26 metres to the water height locally.

How much difference does one metre of tide height make? A typical high water of 8.5 metres floods the nineteen miles from Hilbre Island to the weir at Chester.

At Parkgate, silting has raised the marshland height above the estuary sands. Nevertheless, a combination of astronomical and meteorological influences still has the potential to cause the water to breach the sea wall.

Lots of information here and on that website’s other pages.
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: High Tide at Parkgate? - 29th Dec 2011 8:24pm
For anyone interested in the River Dee, this upcoming radio programme (Sun 1st Jan, 2115, Radio 3) looks as though it might be good - Parkgate isn't mentioned in the BBC website blurb, but Burton Marshes are.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b018nr4z
Posted By: FiremanFil Re: High Tide at Parkgate? - 29th Dec 2011 8:41pm
I didn't realise that Emma Hamilton, Nelson's mistress was actually from the Wirral. I knew she met him at Parkgate, as I read it in a local guide book. Fascinating stuff. Incidentally, if you ever get the chance to go to see HMS Victory, that's an education in itself. You are generally shown around by a bootneck (Royal Marine) NCO. They really know their history and it's well worth a visit. As an added bonus, the Mary Rose is next door. One of 'em had me laughing when we arrived at the plaque which shows where Nelson fell. It is raised about two inches off the deck. He said "No wonder he fell-he tripped over that bloody plaque"!!Another interesting piece of Nelson memorabilia is the topcoat he was wearing when he was shot by the French marksman. It shows the bullethole in the shoulder area, complete with bloodstain. It is on display at the Greenwich Maritime museum. Nelson was a true Brit. One of my all-time heroes.
Posted By: granny Re: High Tide at Parkgate? - 29th Dec 2011 9:33pm
Originally Posted by FiremanFil
I didn't realise that Emma Hamilton, Nelson's mistress was actually from the Wirral. I knew she met him at Parkgate, as I read it in a local guide book.

Yes, she was christened in St.Mary's and St. Helen's Church, Neston.
We really do have loads of good connections in Wirral ! Try to get a copy of Neston Trail leaflet (it was available from the library a couple of years ago) that is also very interesting.
Posted By: FiremanFil Re: High Tide at Parkgate? - 29th Dec 2011 11:48pm
I stayed in a hotel in Exeter (opposite the cathedral) where Nelson stayed with Emma. It was funny to think he was in the room bonking a Wirral girl!! :-)
Posted By: granny Re: High Tide at Parkgate? - 30th Dec 2011 1:16am
I stayed in a hotel in Exeter (opposite the cathedral) where Nelson stayed with Emma. It was funny to think he was in the room bonking a Wirral girl!! :-)

Has the room got a plaque on the door?
I think she had a fair bit of experience too. I was reading about her on wikipedia earlier , there is a lot of info about her. The casting couch may have played a big part in her rise to fame. Her father was a blacksmith who died when she was 2 months old and her mother took them off to Hawarden. So she wasn't here for long but we like our claim to fame here in Wirral.
Posted By: FiremanFil Re: High Tide at Parkgate? - 30th Dec 2011 1:19am
Well if her dad was a blacksmith, she certainly had the pedigree for banging away all day!! :-)
Posted By: granny Re: High Tide at Parkgate? - 30th Dec 2011 1:27am
Well if her dad was a blacksmith, she certainly had the pedigree for banging away all day!! :-)

Fil ! You are getting worse by the day.
Posted By: FiremanFil Re: High Tide at Parkgate? - 30th Dec 2011 1:31am
Ha!! can just see Horatio hammering away at Emma-just like her Dad on the anvil!!
Posted By: granny Re: High Tide at Parkgate? - 30th Dec 2011 5:16pm
Originally Posted by Elizabeth
Thanks for all the info. I used to visit Parkgate a lot and never once saw the water up to the wall or anywhere near it. I had heard it mentioned too, Vanmanone that rats & mice scurry to dry land when the tide comes in.

Hi Elizabeth. Greasby lad is correct. A very high tide with strong weather conditions gives the desired effect of getting battered. The next I can see is
10 meters on 10th March at 12.09pm. My experience at Parkgate was much the same as others, pretty uneventful for myself as I didn't have binoculars like the experts. There was a lot of activity, loads of birds flying off their nests. Some interesting species apparently. It's a shame there isn't a webcam there, that was another gimmick which only managed to be put in certain places like Hoylake. What happens at Hoylake?

Put into your search engine: Tide Tables Liverpool 2012.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral