Forums
I'm looking for a map showing Birkenhead Wards 1889 ish

Would The Holt be Holt Hill
and how many of the different buildings are still standing

Attached picture 1889 churches and stations.jpg
Attached picture 1889 schools and chapels.jpg
It used to be the Holt and Clifton ward, it might still be, which covered the Clifton rd and Holt hill area. The school of art might have been what turned out to be the dance school at the top of Holt hill, a big might, I don't know for sure. I don't think standing now.
I think these buildings from the main list are still standing, although most are no longer used for their original purpose -

Town Hall, Sessions Court, School of Art, Children's Hospital, The Priory, Birkenhead Union Workhouse (St Cath's?), St Aidan's College, General Post Office, as well as Rock Ferry, Central, Hamilton Square, Green Lane and Park stations.

- the only two churches I know are St Werburgh's and St Anne's, which I think are both still there.

The Holt was the Administrative heart of the old Tranmere Township.
7 School of Art was part of Technical Institute at corner of Kelvin Rd & Hillside Rd.
Later site of Hillside Court Flats - built 1966 , now demolished
18 Temperence Hall . Probably building still standing in Holt Road .Originally
Drill Hall on some maps -now Electrical Co premises. J.E.S. I think called .
One of the oldest surviving bldgs inTranmere now.
Can place each & every one of the churches & chapels if you wish.Getting past
my bed-time now but let me know if you want me to list them with location &
" Extant or demolished "
The Holt Technical Institute was the 'predecessor' to the Borough Road Tech College. I first went there starting 1951 for electrical engineering Ordinary National Certificate, then to Borough Road when it opened about 1955.
Perhaps the road names 'Kelvin' and 'Leighton' came from the technical and art institute connection.
I'd like to know of the history of the building but there is nothing on the web. Are there any photos anywhere?
Bri

pic 1 Is this the building in Holt Road?
pic 2 Titan gym was this a pub? Church Road
pic 3 Can someone get a street view of the Royal Hotel which is on the google map (just interested if it's a pub)

pic 4 The wards I'd like to see the area where they cover
1889ish

Description: pic 1
Attached picture holt road.jpg

Description: pic 2
Attached picture titans gym.jpg

Description: pic 3
Attached picture the Royal Hotel.jpg

Description: pic 4
Attached picture wards.jpg
I think the Titans gym building used to be a bank or building society, halifax maybe?
As I remember Titan's gym (bit with the metals shutters on) was butchers. And the other building was Harlands an estates agents. I lived down the road, about 30 years ago.

Hope this helps
it was harlands estate agents in the 60s,on the other corner of harland rd was a sayers with a taxi firm obove it,then a sweet shop,edna mays knitting wool shop,and phil amys pet shop.then the hospital.on the other side of the rd was,the midland bank on the corner of seymour st,then,a launderette,which became abbacans.next was the black and white house,owned by the old mr abbacan, which was a lodging house.next was the old vicarage where the abbacans lived,then a docs surgery,the nxt shop was on the corner of allerton rd,then by church terrace was john prescot sweet shop next to that was a clothes shop,a side entrance to cottages a house come little garage and then the allotments over the rd from st caths.
Originally Posted by bert1
It used to be the Holt and Clifton ward, it might still be, which covered the Clifton rd and Holt hill area. The school of art might have been what turned out to be the dance school at the top of Holt hill, a big might, I don't know for sure. I don't think standing now.

The building for the dance school is still there at the top of holt hill
© Wirral-Wikiwirral