Forums
Posted By: pjcags Brighton Street, Seacombe / Wallasey - 22nd Nov 2011 2:18am
I am trying to find information regarding two businesses that were locate just doors apart as late as 1925. They were operated by Thomas Williams and George Williams respectively.

Tom Williams operated the "Waterlily Hand Laundry" at 88 Brighton Street and his brother, George, operated the "Wallasey Grotto" at 82 Brighton Street.

Also, what is the relationship between Wallasey, Birkenhead and Seacombe? Are they separate towns in Wirral?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Brighton Street, Seacombe / Wallasey - 22nd Nov 2011 7:42am
Sorry but don't know anything about the businesses, but Wallasey,Seacombe & Birkenhead are all now under the Postal area of Merseyside & were Cheshire, but are all on the Wirral Peninsula.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Brighton Street, Seacombe / Wallasey - 22nd Nov 2011 8:08am
Welcome to WikiWirral, not heard of those businesses but give it a bit of time as this motley crew wake up from their slumbers and get into gear.

I will ask at Fort Perch Rock when I go later, you never know.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Brighton Street, Seacombe / Wallasey - 22nd Nov 2011 9:19am
and at No, 82, George Williams had a top shop called the "Wallasey Grotto", which became the Doll's Hospital where one could take a broken doll and have it repaired. Next door, Miss Ogden always had a nice selection of ladies' blouses in her window and the housewives would stop and see the latest fashions. Mrs. Williams had the Water Lilly hand Laundry.

Either search with Google or look for Paul Wirral on this site. This is taken from his web site.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Brighton Street, Seacombe / Wallasey - 22nd Nov 2011 9:25am
Go to www....co.uk then click Headlines, then Shopping in Wallasey, then Borough Road. Scroll way down to just before the pictures & there is the quote!
Posted By: Helles Re: Brighton Street, Seacombe / Wallasey - 22nd Nov 2011 10:06am
Wallasey and Birkenhead are separate towns that come under the council of Wirral. Seacombe is an area of Wallasey. If you use facebook and want to see old photographs of the area then join Old photo's of Liscard (that's another area in Wallasey just to confuse you more). Can't guarantee your shops are shown but would give you an idea of the location.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Brighton Street, Seacombe / Wallasey - 22nd Nov 2011 1:11pm
Originally Posted by Tatey
Go to www....co.uk then click Headlines, then Shopping in Wallasey, then Borough Road. Scroll way down to just before the pictures & there is the quote!

I referred the new member to wiki because he had Birkenhead questions which I know the lovely (if insane) members here will assist.

The 'Shopping In...' series is under 'Index', not 'Headlines'. cool
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Brighton Street, Seacombe / Wallasey - 22nd Nov 2011 1:13pm
Originally Posted by Helles
Wallasey and Birkenhead are separate towns that come under the council of Wirral. Seacombe is an area of Wallasey. If you use facebook and want to see old photographs of the area then join Old photo's of Liscard (that's another area in Wallasey just to confuse you more). Can't guarantee your shops are shown but would give you an idea of the location.

...also Wallasey Memories which covers all Wallasey, including Seacombe.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral