Forums
Posted By: johnnysmoke Name origin? - Peter Price's Lane, Bebington - 22nd Nov 2011 12:06am
I've often wondered how Peter Price's Lane in Bebington got its name and have had no luck in my attempts to find out.

Every google search brings up references to houses for sale there, or to Pete Price from the radio.

Does anybody here know who Peter Price was and how the lane came to be named after him?

Genuine information or wild guesses welcome.

Thanks.
I thought it was to do with Price's candle factory but that was Edward which was a fictious name.

There is Bishop Peter Price but nowt to do with the area that I can find.

Only other thought is a Mayor of Bebington but I haven't got a list of them to hand.
Thanks diggingdeeper,

I had looked into the possibility that it was linked to the candle factory but the name didn't fit and was fictitious anyway, as you said.

I also couldn't find anything that linked Bishop Peter Price to the area, but your idea that it may be a former Mayor gives me another line to pursue. No luck finding any lists online so far, though.
I've often wondered about it too.
It depends really how far back this road name goes, I’m sure you could ascertain it off old maps. There could be a connection to Storeton Quarry as there was lots of activity round this area when the quarry was active, I believe there was a rail track to Bromborough Dock at one point, this was adjacent to Prices works, so there could be a connection there. Even further back, the stage coach route from Chester ( and I presume London) used to go up mount Road. A pal of mine assures me that there is a stone in Mount Road at the side of the Brackenwood Golf course which was the furthest point up the hill the stage coach could get. When it got there the coach man would stand on the stone and blow on his coachhorn to summon an additional team from the Halfway House pub to assist the coach up the hill. Not sure of the truth of this but it sounds likely.Maybe Peter Price was a coach man??
Are you sure he didn't mean the Travellers Rest?

I grew up around there and also often wondered where the name came from. I always assumed the land was owned by a Peter Price at some point.

Looking at the Tithe Map you get this message. This plot does not appear on the tithe apportionment document and has no ownership data. An arbitrary plot number has been assigned for the purposes of this project.

It doesn't have a name on either the 1875 or 1910 maps.

Interestingly Brackenwood Road is named Heath Road on the 1910 map.
Posted By: arsenal Re: Name origin? - Peter Price's Lane, Bebington - 22nd Nov 2011 2:00pm
it was named after a man who was a recluse who lived in the farmhouse at the end of the lane just before brimstage road by local people in the early 1900 this info is from a book of that time about peter prices lane hope this helps
The only thing in that area was Needwood Farm.

Must have been there.
You're right I did mean the Travellers' Rest
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Your answer seems interesting, arsenal - do you know the name of this book?

I tried to check the census on ancestry.co.uk but I don't have an account with them. I think that the libraries still provide free access to the site, so I'll have a look on there next time I get to one.
Posted By: arsenal Re: Name origin? - Peter Price's Lane, Bebington - 22nd Nov 2011 7:22pm
hi the name of the book is the echo rambler printed by the daily post on behalf of the liverpool echo it is a book containing 36 walks for rambling on the wirral in the early 1900 it also includes pictures and sketches the info i gave you is from a ramble from peter prices lane to wishing gate by red hill lane the book i have is from the early 1900
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Name origin? - Peter Price's Lane, Bebington - 22nd Nov 2011 8:06pm
would looking up price st help as in named after the same person? sorry I'm only trying to help
Posted By: jimbob Re: Name origin? - Peter Price's Lane, Bebington - 23rd Nov 2011 7:06pm
On the subject of the names. The wishing gate on the corner of Red Hill lane. Prior to all the trees suround the house on that land. you could stand at the white painted wooden gate and make a wish as you looked out towards the welsh hills from that spot.
Thanks for that, arsenal.

I had a look online and found copies of this book for about 20 quid but that's a bit too much to pay for satisfying idle curiosity.
There are also 3 copies of a book of the same name, published in 1969, in local reference libraries. I'll take a look when I go in and check the census records.
Posted By: bigpete Re: Name origin? - Peter Price's Lane, Bebington - 20th Feb 2012 3:04pm
Yay - I know something !!!!! grin

The first factory on the Bromborough Pool Estate - was :
"Peter Price's Patent Candle factory"
The Pool estate was built soon after to serve it.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral