Forums
Posted By: RUDEBOX Pub Bell Service - 9th Nov 2011 5:55pm
Today I was in Fort Perch Pub in New Brighton.
I noticed old fashioned buzzers, spaced evenly around the walls- apparantly still used to order drinks from the Bar?
Anybody know when this was generally common in pubs and when it phased out?
I've never heard of this before! Thanks.
Posted By: torryman Re: Pub Bell Service - 9th Nov 2011 6:20pm
They used to still have the buzzer in the "snug" at the old Dale Inn in Seacombe in the 70's ...you paid a small surcharge for the service (extra penny or something).
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Pub Bell Service - 9th Nov 2011 6:49pm
They still have these in the back room of the Cheshire Cheese in WV - and I understand they still work (although they are no longer 'in use' if you get my meaning)...
Posted By: jimbob Re: Pub Bell Service - 9th Nov 2011 6:59pm
when you where in a pub during the 50s and 60s if the pub had not had a make over by then and in one of the rooms {not the bar} you pressed the bell button for service. Hence the term given to the lady who came and asked you for your order {BAR MAID} The entrance to the bar was via a seperate door from outside, the other rooms of the pub where accessed by a different door. Yes the cost of the glass or pint was more than what it cost in the bar. {thats where the term Bar Room price comes from} PROPER PUBS THOSE DAYS

Posted By: Helles Re: Pub Bell Service - 9th Nov 2011 8:58pm
Used those bells many a time in the Perch and across the road in the Commercial. You couldn't move in the back room of the Perch in those days for lifeboat men and needed the barmaid to come to you.

Had to fight your way to the bogs though!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Pub Bell Service - 9th Nov 2011 9:05pm
I'm loving the responses. Thanks.
I love how an 'observation' can kick-start a 'forgotten history', here on Wiki.
How did the barmaid know which buzzer to respond to? Was this 'service' originally exclusive to affluent people? (Therefore pay at the end of the evening?) - or- did barmaids run back and forth with payment/change etc?
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Pub Bell Service - 9th Nov 2011 9:36pm
I think there's a panel in the bar area somewhere with indicators, that showed which button had been pressed...
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Pub Bell Service - 9th Nov 2011 9:57pm
I don't think they usually ran tabs, back then, it was pay per round. The barmaid would tot up the round (back when people could still add up money in their heads!) - you'd pay her, she would then go get and bring you your drinks (and your change - if any!)
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Pub Bell Service - 9th Nov 2011 10:13pm
Years ago I used to frequent the Childwall Abbey Hotel, L'pool. In the lounge they had the Cronapress Contact Strip above the wall seats. This was the same bell strip as on the buses for the conductor to press anywhere along its length. How the Bar Maid used to know who had pressed it, I don't know.

I've a length of that strip as a door bell!! I used to know the guy who made and patented it, Stuart McCrone - became a millionaire due to his invention.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Pub Bell Service - 9th Nov 2011 10:24pm
Its all a bit upstairs downstairs, in the past civilised society it was far more desirable to press a bell for service rather than what seems to be the way now, whistling and clicking fingers.
I was in an establishment in Dundee, not a pub but a restaurant type of place that had a button on the table, if pressed a light lit up above the table and service was on its way.
Posted By: Helles Re: Pub Bell Service - 9th Nov 2011 11:10pm
Barmaid always had the change on a tray. You took your change and left some kind of tip. They were proper barmaids in those days and could handle three or four orders without the benefit of note books etc.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Pub Bell Service - 10th Nov 2011 10:15am
In The Perch Rock Hotel, it was Jeanie Molaney served the back room & Phylis Donnoley the front. Never went in the darts room!
Posted By: MikeT Re: Pub Bell Service - 10th Nov 2011 12:39pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
Today I was in Fort Perch Pub in New Brighton. I noticed old fashioned buzzers, spaced evenly around the walls- apparantly still used to order drinks from the Bar?

Stork Hotel in B'head still has them, though not in use. Can recommend the Stork by the way, usually 5 beers on pump and well kept. Place is interesting, all original fittings and tiles.

Posted By: Helles Re: Pub Bell Service - 10th Nov 2011 1:10pm
Originally Posted by Tatey
In The Perch Rock Hotel, it was Jeanie Molaney served the back room & Phylis Donnoley the front. Never went in the darts room!

Thanks for that, had forgotten their names but that brings it back.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Pub Bell Service - 10th Nov 2011 1:26pm
Originally Posted by MikeT
Stork Hotel in B'head still has them, though not in use. Can recommend the Stork by the way, usually 5 beers on pump and well kept. Place is interesting, all original fittings and tiles.

The beer is nice but the landlady is a real right harridan!
Posted By: petethebike Re: Pub Bell Service - 10th Nov 2011 2:39pm
The Boot in Liscard had this service in their back room.They also had an off licence that sold draught beer to take out.You could get it in glass gallon demi-johns,half a crown deposit and less than ten bob for the beer!Those were the days,'60s obviously.
Posted By: MikeT Re: Pub Bell Service - 10th Nov 2011 3:32pm
Originally Posted by CrocodileDundee
The beer is nice but the landlady is a real right harridan!

Oh, she's alright. Rather fond of her, actually happy
By the way, the Stork has a happy hour from 4 to 7 where the ale is 1.75 a pint. Good for a pint or two after work.

Posted By: polo_phil Re: Pub Bell Service - 10th Nov 2011 4:03pm
The Heather Brow in Claughton still has them in the snug part... don't work anymore though
Grandma said they were used when she used to go after she got married in the 50's
Posted By: jimbob Re: Pub Bell Service - 10th Nov 2011 7:46pm
bert, those lights on the table {what colour where they} he he
Posted By: Tatey Re: Pub Bell Service - 11th Nov 2011 6:32am
Originally Posted by jimbob
bert, those lights on the table {what colour where they} he he

There may have been different colours for the type of "service" you required?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Pub Bell Service - 11th Nov 2011 6:59am
The red lights where outside, blue above the tables.
Posted By: FormoD Re: Pub Bell Service - 13th Nov 2011 2:18pm
We used to go to the Egremont Ferry in the late 70's / early 80's and they had a bell service there, and the best pint of Higsons bitter you ever tasted.
Posted By: paranoidballoon Re: Pub Bell Service - 13th Nov 2011 4:32pm
I am glad you put the Higsons after the best pint of.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral