Forums
Posted By: Andy_U Greenhouse in Birkenhead Park - 23rd Oct 2011 7:45pm
Does anyone remember the large greenhouse in Birkenhead Park ?
Why did it shut down, and when ?
I tend to think it was vandals breaking the glass, but maybe there was another reason ?
Posted By: chriskay Re: Greenhouse in Birkenhead Park - 23rd Oct 2011 9:04pm
I remember it well. I took a lot of pictures in there, must have been 1950's. No idea when or why it was removed.
Posted By: karlb Re: Greenhouse in Birkenhead Park - 23rd Oct 2011 9:33pm
There's some pictures in the archive's shut in the 50's i think birkenhead park
Posted By: bert1 Re: Greenhouse in Birkenhead Park - 23rd Oct 2011 9:47pm
The Palm House was erected in 1921, not sure if its the same one but i remember a large greenhouse in the sixties with a huge palm tree in the middle, i think that one was removed because age got the better of it.

Attached picture 1.jpg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Greenhouse in Birkenhead Park - 23rd Oct 2011 9:54pm
Around 1950, the Palm House was replaced by a conservatory which was still there in the early sixties at least.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Greenhouse in Birkenhead Park - 24th Oct 2011 6:23am
I knew we had touched on this before, here is what we found then.

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums...rkenhead_Park_Palm_House.html#Post422971
Posted By: davew3 Re: Greenhouse in Birkenhead Park - 24th Oct 2011 9:22am
I thought it came down for the usual "political reasons" one side of the lunie tunes wanted it repaired and the other side decided to pull it down because the other side wanted it repaired.
Posted By: DanLongman Re: Greenhouse in Birkenhead Park - 24th Oct 2011 9:50am
I sadly imagine that if it still existed it would be smashed to bits every weekend frown
Posted By: Maisie Re: Greenhouse in Birkenhead Park - 25th Oct 2011 7:14am
I remember when I was a kid, we were coming home from somewhere with our Dad in the car. We drove down the road between the 2 parts of the park and there where quite a few fire engines and the water hoses across the road. I remember later on that day some said the greenhouse had caught fire.
This was probably about 1974, give or take a couple of years.
Posted By: Andy_U Re: Greenhouse in Birkenhead Park - 25th Oct 2011 5:37pm
Originally Posted by Maisie
I remember when I was a kid, we were coming home from somewhere with our Dad in the car. We drove down the road between the 2 parts of the park and there where quite a few fire engines and the water hoses across the road. I remember later on that day some said the greenhouse had caught fire.
This was probably about 1974, give or take a couple of years.

How does a greenhouse catch fire ??
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Greenhouse in Birkenhead Park - 25th Oct 2011 6:05pm
I had in my mind that it was a fire - given the era it was built it may have been wooden framed.
Posted By: Maisie Re: Greenhouse in Birkenhead Park - 25th Oct 2011 8:08pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
I had in my mind that it was a fire - given the era it was built it may have been wooden framed.

Yes DD you're right it was wooden framed. I rang my mum earlier and she said it was wooden framed, she too is of the opinion that is was a fire that eventually destroyed it. I did try to ask her for more information, but she's 81 years old and can't always remember things. She remember's it was extremely hot in there and she couldn't stay in there for more than a few minutes at a time.

Posted By: Maisie Re: Greenhouse in Birkenhead Park - 2nd Nov 2011 7:18pm
Just found this in a book that I have. Sorry it's not very good quality.

Attached picture IMG00122-20111102-1909.jpg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Greenhouse in Birkenhead Park - 2nd Nov 2011 9:47pm
That is the same picture as the colour one above, I'd like to see the picture in the book that's below that Maisie :thumbsip:
© Wirral-Wikiwirral