Forums
Posted By: Chorizo Factory in seacombe - 16th Oct 2011 5:35pm
Hello I'm just wondering if anyone knows what the factory in seacombe between new street and wheatland lane used to make and if anyone has access to any pictures or a website I can visit for info.

Thank you
Posted By: torryman Re: Factory in seacombe - 16th Oct 2011 6:09pm
not sure, but there was a cash and carry there ...can't remember its name though ....there was also a company that made showers/shower units...forgotten it's name now but they were classy showers.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Factory in seacombe - 16th Oct 2011 6:12pm
The Ghandi?
Posted By: Nigel Re: Factory in seacombe - 16th Oct 2011 6:25pm
Originally Posted by torryman
not sure, but there was a cash and carry there ...can't remember its name though ....there was also a company that made showers/shower units...forgotten it's name now but they were classy showers.

Daryl showers had 2 units on was on Kelvin road and the other was were you are talking about on Weatland lane. We used to do work for them in our factory. Both units are now closed.
Posted By: Mogzie Re: Factory in seacombe - 16th Oct 2011 6:26pm
If it is the Gandi building they used to make asbestos products - like brake shoes for cars.
Posted By: louise127 Re: Factory in seacombe - 16th Oct 2011 6:54pm
Many years ago there was a toy factory there called Benicks toys???? I think that was the name
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: Factory in seacombe - 16th Oct 2011 7:38pm
Yes your right but i think it was called Berwicks toys
Posted By: Billynomates Re: Factory in seacombe - 16th Oct 2011 7:40pm
Deffo Berwicks Toys. Think it's where the SoccerDome place is now.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Factory in seacombe - 16th Oct 2011 7:42pm
The Gandy was on Wheatland Lane, the entrance is still there opposite St.Pauls Rd.The company was divided between Brake shoe liners and conveyor belts.The conveyor belt section was bought by Dunlop and re-located to Leyland near Preston.
The toy factory was called Bewicks and the front of the original factory remains, next to the Soccer Dome.
Posted By: ianbx1 Re: Factory in seacombe - 16th Oct 2011 7:43pm
Gandy made industrial conveyor belts for machines it was The Gandy Belt Co, didn't know about the breaks bit, you learn something every day!).

Posted By: parkgater Re: Factory in seacombe - 16th Oct 2011 7:52pm
It was berwicks toys,and before that goodyear aviation,goodyear had their owwn railway siding,hope this helps.
Posted By: Chorizo Re: Factory in seacombe - 16th Oct 2011 8:55pm
It was a factory near the park just off bridle road where the blocks of flats used to be that were demolished a few years back. I live in the area buy I was too young to remember. Used to play round there as a child
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Factory in seacombe - 16th Oct 2011 10:24pm
One of my ancestors worked at the Gandy Belt factory; on the 1901 census he was down as a 'stationary engine driver' and I couldn't work out what on earth that meant, until I realised the engines ran the belts!
Posted By: Mike_Scott Re: Factory in seacombe - 16th Oct 2011 11:00pm
Ken Berwick lived on Chester High Road, a big house covered in Ivy. Drove a roller KB1
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Factory in seacombe - 17th Oct 2011 7:28am
Originally Posted by Greenwood
One of my ancestors worked at the Gandy Belt factory; on the 1901 census he was down as a 'stationary engine driver' and I couldn't work out what on earth that meant, until I realised the engines ran the belts!
I don't think the Gandy was opened until 1927, so possibly he worked elsewhere in 1901, I could be wrong!
Posted By: bri445 Re: Factory in seacombe - 17th Oct 2011 9:31am
Gandy advertising on the L.O.R.
Five means of transport in one 1947 photo!

Description: 1947
Attached picture Geo Dk. Prin Dk East 47.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Factory in seacombe - 17th Oct 2011 9:49am
Tram (tracks anyway), horse, motor car, steam lorry, electric railway ??

The "Gandy Belt" also made clutch linings. A friend "borrowed" a pair of clutch linings and a pile of copper rivets to re-line my Dad's Triumph Herald clutch. Quite a while ago !

I wonder how many employees of the Gandy Belt when down with asbestos related problems ? With the gift of hindsight, not a great place to work.
Posted By: Geekus Re: Factory in seacombe - 17th Oct 2011 10:02am
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer

...and Shanks Pony! oldman
Posted By: carol Re: Factory in seacombe - 17th Oct 2011 10:30am
In the late 70's I worked at Berwick Toys as PA to the MD.
Posted By: bri445 Re: Factory in seacombe - 17th Oct 2011 12:32pm
Originally Posted by geekus
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer

...and Shanks Pony! oldman

You've made it SIX!

Bri
Posted By: HistoricalTony Re: Factory in seacombe - 17th Oct 2011 12:43pm
Originally Posted by Bezzymate
The Gandy was on Wheatland Lane, the entrance is still there opposite St.Pauls Rd.The company was divided between Brake shoe liners and conveyor belts.The conveyor belt section was bought by Dunlop and re-located to Leyland near Preston.
The toy factory was called Bewicks and the front of the original factory remains, next to the Soccer Dome.

was it not true that miss bezzy worked there once? in both places
Posted By: paranoidballoon Re: Factory in seacombe - 17th Oct 2011 12:52pm
" Ship", mast in the background between the two cranes, you can just make out the cross tree (spar).
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Factory in seacombe - 17th Oct 2011 12:58pm
Well done that man ! No visits to Specsavers for you just yet eh?
Posted By: Helles Re: Factory in seacombe - 17th Oct 2011 8:13pm
Was on that job putting a new front on the Gandy offices which is still there today. Note the very small bricks that were used. We also built an electric sub station inside the factory. Horrible place for those who had to work there in those conditions. Be surprised if many didn't suffer later in life with all kinds of chest conditions. They made industrial belts, brake linings etc.

There was another factory further down Kelvin road that made ships containers when they first came out. Can't remember the name but a mate worked there in the sixties.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Factory in seacombe - 18th Oct 2011 7:50pm
Was it Beufords?
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Factory in seacombe - 18th Oct 2011 7:53pm
I had an interview at Bewicks and worked in the Planning Office at the Gandy!
Originally Posted by HistoricalTony
Originally Posted by Bezzymate

was it not true that miss bezzy worked there once? in both places
© Wirral-Wikiwirral