Forums
Posted By: Guevara66 Carrgate Farm - 1st Oct 2011 6:31pm
Does anyone have any knowledge of Carrgate Farm in Moreton, it was situated just by Carr lane. If not how I could find out about it. It appears on the Tithe maps Circa 1850?
Posted By: janjan Re: Carrgate Farm - 1st Oct 2011 9:52pm
That wouldn't be Carr farm would it..maybe the name changed slightly after a re-sale? Just a shot in the dark but I can't imagine there is more than 1 carr(gate) farm in moreton.
Posted By: Guevara66 Re: Carrgate Farm - 2nd Oct 2011 12:51am
No, it no longer exists. But thanks anyway.
Posted By: Geekus Re: Carrgate Farm - 2nd Oct 2011 5:01pm
Try looking in Frank Biddle's books on Moreton. If any pictures or info exist, they'll probably be in one of his books. Most local library's have copies.
Posted By: ianbx1 Re: Carrgate Farm - 2nd Oct 2011 6:28pm
If you cut and past this link, then load the tithe map you found the farm on (I think it may be on the one this links into anyway, as Moreton is on Chester / Bidston tithe maps) you can then swap between the tithe map and today's maps (as well as several in between). Have a play you'll soon get the hang of it.

http://maps.cheshire.gov.uk/tithemaps/TwinMaps.aspx?singleplot=EDT_408-2*142*EDT_408-1&singlesrch=st.6!lwd.Bidston+Church+Land
Posted By: Blazeparadox Re: Carrgate Farm - 3rd Oct 2011 9:43pm
Hiya
Had a look at the maps you suggested I presume Carrgate Farm is where Carrgate (road on housing estate) is now and is the cluster of buildings on the old maps at the top of Carr Lane (Moreton) at the junction to Birkenhead Road? If this is the case I looked at the 2 books I have on Moreton and Meols by Frank Biddle and there is no mention of that farm in either book (checked the Meols one just in case) only the one that was opposite Michaels chippy (where the Tesco express is) Sorry that it doesn't help, but at least you know it's not in the Biddle books!! I can now only suggest Wirral Council Archives at Cheshire Lines - ask switchboard to pop you through on 606 2000. Good luck smile
Posted By: Geekus Re: Carrgate Farm - 3rd Oct 2011 10:30pm
I don't know Moreton all that well, so I'm only guessing, but I don't suppose it was on the site of what is now Carr Farm Garden Centre was it?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral