Forums
Posted By: chris58 Old graveyards in birkenhead - 22nd Sep 2011 6:43pm
Does anyone know where I can get a list of all the old graveyards in Birkenhead particularly ones that have been 'built on'. Am I right in thinking wilkos and poundstretcher are on the site of one? My sister and me are trying to trace family graves going back to the mid 1800's. I said to her today if anyonecan help it will be wiki folk. Thanks
Posted By: Helles Re: Old graveyards in birkenhead - 22nd Sep 2011 10:09pm
You are correct but it was a church graveyard. The remains were reinterred in Landican as far as I know.

Birkenhead library would be your best bet. Flaybrick and Woodchurch are about the oldest but there were a number of churches that had burials including St Werbergs (sp?) There were also burials in the Priory although how recent I don't know? Again, a lot of them were reinterred when the ship repairers was extended and I presume that was at Landican?
Posted By: chris58 Re: Old graveyards in birkenhead - 23rd Sep 2011 10:47am
Thanks Helles! Does anyone know the name of the church on the site?
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Old graveyards in birkenhead - 23rd Sep 2011 10:49am
Actually, this isn't true at all: Wilkinsons/Poundstretcher, and the old Asda they replaced, were built on the site of some old houses that used to stand between Hemingford Street and a continuation of Camden Street. St Andrew's Presbyterian Church was further along Conway Street, on a site which became part of the old Asda car park. As far as I can work out, the graveyard was roughly where the entrance to the new slip road around the ouside of the Bus Station now is.
Posted By: OxtonHill Re: Old graveyards in birkenhead - 23rd Sep 2011 5:30pm
Look here help

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/chs/birkenhead.html

It lists all Birkenhead's churches and dates for burials.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Old graveyards in birkenhead - 23rd Sep 2011 6:10pm
I think we've had info before about
Birkenhead Cemetery, Chapel Lane. Opened 1900 but can't find it.
Could anyone say where it was?
Was it Landican cemetary?
Posted By: BennyBoy Re: Old graveyards in birkenhead - 23rd Sep 2011 7:51pm
The Priory church has a small graveyard. William Laird is buried there. There are other older ones there as well
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Old graveyards in birkenhead - 23rd Sep 2011 8:49pm
Originally Posted by derekdwc

Birkenhead Cemetery, Chapel Lane. Opened 1900 but can't find it.
Could anyone say where it was?
Was it Landican cemetary?

Not only can no-one find the cemetery, no-one can say where this bit of misinformation came from! As far as I know, there's never been a Chapel Lane in Birkenhead, and no local municipal cemetery opened in 1900. There was a Chapel Street, facing the old Wesleyan Chapel on Price Street (now the site of Brunswick House), but that never had a cemetery and certainly wasn't built in 1900. Can't be Landican either as it's over 30 years too early...
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Old graveyards in birkenhead - 25th Sep 2011 10:25am
May actually have solved this one. There was a Chapel Lane Cemetery that opened in 1900, but it was in Burtonwood not Birkenhead. Clicky
Posted By: chris58 Re: Old graveyards in birkenhead - 25th Sep 2011 2:31pm
Thanks folks you have given us something to work on. Appreciate the info.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Old graveyards in birkenhead - 25th Sep 2011 2:40pm
Originally Posted by marty99fred
May actually have solved this one. There was a Chapel Lane Cemetery that opened in 1900, but it was in Burtonwood not Birkenhead. Clicky
Sounds like you've possibly nailed it, my only other thoughts were the recently acquired expansion at Flaybrick (which WAS Birkenhead cemetry) being opened officially - there are some areas whose gravestones start around 1900. The extension was acquired in the 1890s
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Old graveyards in birkenhead - 25th Sep 2011 4:57pm
I lived a couple of minutes walk away from Flaybrick Cemetery for over 30 years and there's definitely no Chapel Lane there! I think it's just a simple case of somebody somewhere not knowing their Burtonwood from their Birkenhead, and the error being copied by others...
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Old graveyards in birkenhead - 30th Sep 2011 3:35pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Originally Posted by marty99fred
Sounds like you've possibly nailed it, my only other thoughts were the recently acquired expansion at Flaybrick (which WAS Birkenhead cemetry) being opened officially - there are some areas whose gravestones start around 1900. The extension was acquired in the 1890s

Is that Bidston Avenue marked as Bailey St

Attached picture bhead cemetary.jpg
Posted By: chriskay Re: Old graveyards in birkenhead - 30th Sep 2011 4:18pm
Certainly looks like it, Derek. Not the only name change on that map (Broom's plan 1888). Park Rd. North is shown as Conway St. Also, that's the plan which shows the "Authorised Connah's Quay Railway" (the Borders line) with a spur to Central Station.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral