Forums
Posted By: chriskay Yolk of Egg Lane - 22nd Sep 2011 1:12pm
Anybody know the origin of this earlier name of Derby Rd.?
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Yolk of Egg Lane - 22nd Sep 2011 1:18pm
where did you get that from chris
Posted By: chriskay Re: Yolk of Egg Lane - 22nd Sep 2011 2:58pm
There's a reference to that name in "Sidelights on Tranmere" and on the tithe maps, two parcels of land on Derby Rd., on the Borough Rd. side are called Yolk of Egg and Further Yolk of Egg.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Yolk of Egg Lane - 23rd Sep 2011 2:49am
Hmm, could of been a private rd at one point and the name could of been named that by the chicken farmer?
Posted By: chriskay Re: Yolk of Egg Lane - 23rd Sep 2011 8:06am
Ste; in those days, there wouldn't have been chicken farmers, every farm just had a few chickens running around the farmyard. Interesting to see from the O.S. maps that it didn't go through to Whetstone Lane until some time between 1875 & 1910. Oh, and it didn't end at Further Yolk of Egg; there were two fields beyond that.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Yolk of Egg Lane - 23rd Sep 2011 10:52am
What a strange name for a road, couldn't begin to figure out that one.
Reminds of of a road in Lincolnshire, got the name plates up and everything so it is genuine, "Toil In Vain Lane", it's still there.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Yolk of Egg Lane - 23rd Sep 2011 11:01am
As Chris will verify, in Shrewsbury town centre there is a well signed Grope Lane. A book I'm reading at the moment on the history of the Ordnance Survey reveals the original name was Grope C*nt Lane !

* insert the letter "u"

I'm saying nuffin' !
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Yolk of Egg Lane - 23rd Sep 2011 12:40pm
ooo er!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Yolk of Egg Lane - 23rd Sep 2011 12:59pm
How rude.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Yolk of Egg Lane - 23rd Sep 2011 4:44pm
Dreadfully coarse I know. I've scrubbed the keyboard with Carbolic Soap!!
Posted By: Geekus Re: Yolk of Egg Lane - 23rd Sep 2011 5:05pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
As Chris will verify, in Shrewsbury town centre there is a well signed Grope Lane. A book I'm reading at the moment on the history of the Ordnance Survey reveals the original name was Grope C*nt Lane !

* insert the letter "u"

I'm saying nuffin' !

Grope Cnut? Who'd wanna grope King Cnut?? He's been dead for years... dunno
Posted By: Archaeo Re: Yolk of Egg Lane - 23rd Sep 2011 7:57pm
Yolk of Egg is the name of four enclosed fields in Tranmere. It's a fairly common name for a field in Cheshire and represents an area in a township which has the highest quality soil...i.e the best part of the field/egg.

Hope this helps!
Posted By: chriskay Re: Yolk of Egg Lane - 23rd Sep 2011 8:19pm
Thanks, Deano; that would explain it.
I've now found the four fields, but two of them have the same name; yolk of egg. The other two are lower yolk of egg and further yolk of egg. Do you know of any others in Cheshire?
Posted By: Archaeo Re: Yolk of Egg Lane - 23rd Sep 2011 8:21pm
There's one in Thornton Hough, One in Spital, Tarvin, Prestbury, Wybunbury.

These four fields would have all been just one area prior to the Enclosures Act in the 19th Century.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Yolk of Egg Lane - 23rd Sep 2011 8:41pm
Thanks again, Deano. Most interesting.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Yolk of Egg Lane - 24th Sep 2011 9:39am
Just found the one at Spital. Plot 108 on the tithe map, next to Poulton Hall, just West of Bromborough Rake station.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral