Forums
Posted By: daveoffshore Greenfield Street - Birkenhead - 18th Sep 2011 2:18pm
Hi

Anybody have photos of Greenfield Street, Birkenhead.

I was born there in 1956 and stayed until 1961 I think

thanks
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Greenfield Street - Birkenhead - 18th Sep 2011 2:54pm
whereabouts was it - just interested
Posted By: daveoffshore Re: Greenfield Street - Birkenhead - 18th Sep 2011 3:48pm
Hi derekdwc

The street was off Claughton Road in down town Birkenhead - all demolished years ago - I am getting nostalgic in my old age (55) and I don't have any photos what so ever. So just trying to find a little of my past Thanks for asking
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Greenfield Street - Birkenhead - 18th Sep 2011 4:26pm
on map
Vaguely remember standing at the bus stop by the church for the no.96 bus after a night at the Craftsmans club and seeing one of our works lorries bombing past about 11.30pm
What kind of shop was on the corner no 178 - it's bugging me

sorry only just realised you would have only been aged 5

Attached picture greenfield st.jpg
Posted By: locomotive Re: Greenfield Street - Birkenhead - 23rd Sep 2014 6:06pm
My Grandparents lived there at no 7 from 1911 to 1958, I was usually to be found there after school, waiting for an apple pie to come out of the oven, I'm trying to remember the name of the shop on the corner, it was just a normal corner shop except you could put a bet on there, this was the days of the "Bookies Runner" before betting shops were legal, happy days, (so I probably saw you in your pram.)
Posted By: Japan07 Re: Greenfield Street - Birkenhead - 1st Dec 2020 1:19am
Hi David
You may be surprised by this reply but I am your sister! Yes we lived in Greenfield Street but moved in 1960 to Glover Street.
A lot has happened since then and I’ll wait and see if I get a reply to this.
Anne
Posted By: Fidelio Re: Greenfield Street - Birkenhead - 1st Dec 2020 5:51am
I got quite emotional reading this, can’t wait for the next episode.
Posted By: joney Re: Greenfield Street - Birkenhead - 1st Dec 2020 11:08am
Sorry no photos but I remember it well as my sister lived at 4 Willow st off Greenfield st in the forties which had just two houses 2&4. The bottom end of Greenfield st was bombed during the war and I think about 4 houses were demolished so Locomotive your grandparents were very lucky. The shop at the top end on the corner was in my time a sweet shop run by an old woman.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral