Forums
Posted By: Anonymous "Wallasey : Ivanhoe" - 4th Sep 2011 4:06pm
Can anyone tell me where the building is located? The sign says "Wallasey Ivanhoe". Taken in 1926.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Helles Re: "Wallasey : Ivanhoe" - 4th Sep 2011 4:23pm
Think they are different houses, one Ivanhoe and one Wallasey. Might not even be in Wallasey though? Quite possibly one of the resorts local people went to because a lot of them named their guest houses like that. Notice the name Stirrat over one of the doors, might be the name of the owners? Possibly look up Stirrat in street directories?
Posted By: katieann19 Re: "Wallasey : Ivanhoe" - 4th Sep 2011 5:10pm
Second picture looks alot like the houses on Wellington Road, that are b&bs in New Brighton. Could be wrong smile
Posted By: Helles Re: "Wallasey : Ivanhoe" - 4th Sep 2011 6:09pm
Originally Posted by katieann19
Second picture looks alot like the houses on Wellington Road, that are b&bs in New Brighton. Could be wrong smile

The girls in the second pic look as though they are leaning on promenade railings and I know of nowhere that is like that in New Brighton. Possibly West Kirby or seaside resort?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: "Wallasey : Ivanhoe" - 4th Sep 2011 6:43pm
In all the old pictures of the Promenade at New Brighton and Egremont I've seen, where the horizontal rails meet the upright stanchions, there are heavy cast iron "boxes" (for lack of a better word) at the joints. Also a similar casting as a finial/knob on the top.

Could of course be plain railings in the town (??)
Posted By: bert1 Re: "Wallasey : Ivanhoe" - 4th Sep 2011 6:54pm
Like so.

Attached picture nb rails.jpg
Posted By: lauralou2 Re: "Wallasey : Ivanhoe" - 4th Sep 2011 7:10pm
the picture with the old man is seacombe ferry i think the pub in the background is still there only left theres no building just a huge anchor that the kids play on !!!!
Posted By: Helles Re: "Wallasey : Ivanhoe" - 4th Sep 2011 7:19pm
Originally Posted by lauralou2
the picture with the old man is seacombe ferry i think the pub in the background is still there only left theres no building just a huge anchor that the kids play on !!!!

Actually the Eggy ferry but take your point. My point is that there is nowhere with those railings with that type of house so close to the railings in Wallasey to my knowledge unless bombed in the war?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: "Wallasey : Ivanhoe" - 4th Sep 2011 7:20pm
Thanks Bert. That's them! A picture is worth............etc.
Posted By: Geekus Re: "Wallasey : Ivanhoe" - 4th Sep 2011 8:28pm
Originally Posted by Helles
Think they are different houses, one Ivanhoe and one Wallasey. Might not even be in Wallasey though? Quite possibly one of the resorts local people went to because a lot of them named their guest houses like that. Notice the name Stirrat over one of the doors, might be the name of the owners? Possibly look up Stirrat in street directories?

I think Helles might be right. The two names appear to be different colours and have slightly different style lettering. The 'Stirrat' names scrapped off the Ivanhoe window was probably the name of the hotel/B&B before it became the Ivanhoe.

I don't think it's Wallasey.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: "Wallasey : Ivanhoe" - 4th Sep 2011 8:39pm
I only know two "Ivanhoe" - both private houses - Grosvenor Drive and Mount Pleasant Road. I can't see this actually being Wallasey!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: "Wallasey : Ivanhoe" - 4th Sep 2011 9:18pm
This is part of the "Metropole Mansions", Douglas Isle of Man

CLICKY
Posted By: Geekus Re: "Wallasey : Ivanhoe" - 4th Sep 2011 9:46pm
Here's a more recent photo of the Metropole buildings:

http://www.geolocation.ws/v/W/4d741e528786560f7502ecc7/filemetropole-mansions-queens-parade--/en

They're certainly very similar. No balconies over the doors though and larger windows.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: "Wallasey : Ivanhoe" - 4th Sep 2011 10:01pm
It is definitely the same building, I checked, the Stirrats were at 2 Metropole Mansions which ties up with the name of the glass above the door.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: "Wallasey : Ivanhoe" - 4th Sep 2011 10:07pm
Well done DD. I think you hit the nail on the head. Cheers.
Posted By: Capt_America Re: "Wallasey : Ivanhoe" - 4th Sep 2011 11:08pm
Fantastic bit of detective work!
Posted By: Helles Re: "Wallasey : Ivanhoe" - 5th Sep 2011 10:51am
Totally concur, well done.
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: "Wallasey : Ivanhoe" - 5th Sep 2011 11:45am
Hi Bert the picture with the old man on is The Eggie ferry .That building opposite, would that be the old Davey Jones Locker just looks like it to me
Posted By: bert1 Re: "Wallasey : Ivanhoe" - 5th Sep 2011 12:58pm
Originally Posted by gypsyjune
Hi Bert the picture with the old man on is The Eggie ferry .That building opposite, would that be the old Davey Jones Locker just looks like it to me

Your right June, Egremont Promenade 1939, in case the pic has caused any confusion, it was put up to prove Pinz correct on his memory of the stanchions and railings, not to where the original photo above was taken.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral