Forums
Posted By: MerseyMan School photo about 1950? Tollemache school - 30th Aug 2011 3:26pm
Does anyone recognise anyone on this photo? My dad is on the bottom left of the photo and he was born in Aug 1944. Not sure on his age here but he went to Tollemache School does this ring a bell? He did say he went to the school on Laird Street (where Portland is?) and he mentions Tollemache school, are they the same. He later went to Birkenhead Institute..or was that known as the Tollemcahe school. Without having to phone him to find out again here it is. If there are any older members who were born about 1944 and went to the same school I thought someone might recognise someone.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: arsenal Re: School photo about 1950? Tollemache school - 30th Aug 2011 4:15pm
according to my wife this is laird street school.it wasnt her class as she was born in 1946 but the teacher is mr mcqueen.he met his wife when she too was a teacher there
Posted By: arsenal Re: School photo about 1950? Tollemache school - 30th Aug 2011 4:25pm
tollemache road school was a secondary school for boys,then the birkenhead institute went there when they closed the institute down in whetstone lane. the housing estate next to flaybrick cemetary is where the school used to be
Tollemache (Road) School became Birkenhead Institute

See thread

HERE

and site

HERE

Posted By: jimbob Re: School photo about 1950? Tollemache school - 30th Aug 2011 9:18pm
half of the Tollemache {road}school was taken over by the catholic church after the 2nd world war and was used by them as a girls school {its name was Our Ladies} this was during the late 40s and up to at least the mid 50s. I know this as my wife went to this school in the early 50s.
Posted By: Raymondoj Re: School photo about 1950? Tollemache school - 23rd Dec 2011 8:48pm
The kids are too young for it to be Tolly. I suggest you go onto Friends Reunited and look up any photo's for Laird Street School. There might be some names tagged there.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral