Forums
Posted By: nickie history of my house - 6th Jul 2011 3:03pm
I was wondering why my house on 2a cavendish street birkenhead has a upstairs baywindow and no other house on my side of the street does,and on the gate posts is has inscribed 'forward cottage' and its only on my house just wandering if anyone knows anything about it, i have tried googling it but no luck thanks
Posted By: MissGuided Re: history of my house - 6th Jul 2011 8:52pm
1911 map if it helps...

Right-click on pic and then click View Image to see it bigger...

Attached picture 1911 Cav St.jpg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: history of my house - 6th Jul 2011 9:25pm
That house has got a very flowery history in the not so recent past, as I'm sure you're aware.

It looks like it is a "foremans" house as it also has the shield on it. The rest of the terrace may not have had a downstairs bay originally, quite a lot of terraced houses had them added on, I'm not sure, but I think there may have been grants available to put the bays on.

Cavendish street got bombed 3 times during WW2, one bomb area was the corner of Cavendish St and Old Bidston Rd. So there is a slight chance your house was damaged then and rebuilt.
Posted By: nickie Re: history of my house - 7th Jul 2011 9:15am
Thanks missguided very interesting x
Posted By: nickie Re: history of my house - 7th Jul 2011 9:17am
diggingdeeper I am aware the houses were bombed the houses in the middle of the street are the ones that got rebuilt because now they are a completely different style, thanks for your help I am not aware of the flowery past of my house and I am a bit scared to ask what it was lol x
Posted By: chriskay Re: history of my house - 7th Jul 2011 2:30pm
Having looked at the houses on Streetview, & noticing that 2A comes before 2, it seems likely that 2A was built later than the rest of the street, and in a different, grander, style. Pity they didn't match the chimneys.
These are the occupants from the directories I have; DD was right about the foreman.
Kelly's 1894: John Ashworth, occupation not given.
Gore's 1900: John Ashworth, Foreman Boiler Maker.
Willmer's 1915-16: Joseph Povall, builder.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: history of my house - 7th Jul 2011 5:40pm
Originally Posted by nickie
I am not aware of the flowery past of my house and I am a bit scared to ask what it was lol x

Sorry, that bit was a mistake - I got it mixed up with another end terrace not a million miles away.
Posted By: knarfmorris123 Re: history of my house - 8th Jul 2011 4:11pm
Maybe it was built for the caretaker of the community centre.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral