Forums
Posted By: nightwalker Photo - where? what? when? - 28th Jun 2011 1:55pm
Glad of any info. Think it's a megaphone, possibly to do with either Seacombe or Woodside ferries. No idea of the date. Any ideas?

Attached picture wherewhatwhen.jpg
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Photo - where? what? when? - 28th Jun 2011 2:40pm
not a crazy telescope?
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Photo - where? what? when? - 28th Jun 2011 2:50pm
No it's a megaphone, by the Locks, for hollering to ships / tugs that were manouevring into the Alfred Dock / East/West float lock gates I think! Didn't have walkie-talkie radios back then...?!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Photo - where? what? when? - 28th Jun 2011 3:03pm
When working in the area I used to sit in the car and have my lunch just there - long before the fences went up. The Lock Master would shout instructions through the megaphone to the tugs assisting vessels in and out of the locks. It was still in use in the early 1970's.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Photo - where? what? when? - 28th Jun 2011 3:12pm
Looking at what would be the mouthpiece end, it doesn't strike me as being big enough to shout through, most old megaphones I've seen normally have a larger mouthpiece, is it possible it was some sort of bugle call instrument.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Photo - where? what? when? - 28th Jun 2011 3:19pm
From memory Bert, the mouthpiece was about 3" x 2 1/2" and oval in shape. Looking at the photo again, it "looks" circular ? Maybe it was detachable ?? The Lock Master - in uniform too, definitely used to shout through it.

Good to see one of the I.O.M. steamers at the stage across the river!
Posted By: bert1 Re: Photo - where? what? when? - 28th Jun 2011 3:30pm
Detachable mouthpiece makes sense Pinz. bloody antwacky or what, even in the 70s they had talkietalkie shiptoshorey
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Photo - where? what? when? - 28th Jun 2011 4:17pm
Wow can't believe they still used that into the 70's.
Posted By: bri445 Re: Photo - where? what? when? - 28th Jun 2011 4:41pm
Probably kept in case the electronic version, to its left, broke down!

Attached picture wherewhatwhen.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Photo - where? what? when? - 28th Jun 2011 5:59pm
Well spotted bri. I took that to be a GLS type floodlamp, but it does make sense - one of those new-fangled electric loudspeaker things.

"COME IN No.2 YOUR TIME IS UP" (Or similar)
Posted By: bri445 Re: Photo - where? what? when? - 28th Jun 2011 7:07pm
Hmm! Could be open to abuse if the mike is on the end of that wire. Must have a secret switch somewhere!
'Left hand down a bit, Number 1!'
'Left hand down it is, sir.'

Attached picture 74.gif
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Photo - where? what? when? - 28th Jun 2011 7:16pm
Oh no..... It's Nunky in his tug !!
Posted By: paranoidballoon Re: Photo - where? what? when? - 28th Jun 2011 10:08pm
The ship at the landing stage looks like Her Majesty s Yacht Britannia, wrong color funnel for I.O.M boat.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Photo - where? what? when? - 28th Jun 2011 10:22pm
I think I know the location wink

[Linked Image]
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Photo - where? what? when? - 29th Jun 2011 12:55am
Could it possibly be one of the Guinness boats?
Posted By: yewgarth Re: Photo - where? what? when? - 29th Jun 2011 1:35am
Nah! It's definitely an IOM ship, either the manxman or monas isle. There's no mistaking them! It's even on the IOMSPCo's berth.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Photo - where? what? when? - 29th Jun 2011 6:49am
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
Oh no..... It's Nunky in his tug !!

Oops, sorry pardon Mr. Phillips!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Photo - where? what? when? - 29th Jun 2011 8:34am
paraniod: if you enlarge the pic (hold down "Ctrl" and press "+" a few times) you can see the black topping on the funnel. Britannia's funnel is all beige/cream. Different superstructure too.

For good looks, the IOM steamers left Britannia dead in the water !
(IMHO of course!)

Have been aboard Britannia (as a paying, lower-orders pleb) a couple of times in Leith. She's absolutely pristine from stem to stern. She must consume about 75 tins of Brasso an hour !!

The smell and atmosphere of the IOM steamers was something to behold. Am I right in thinking there's one lying rusting away somewhere ??

Full ahead together !!

Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Photo - where? what? when? - 29th Jun 2011 2:23pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
paraniod: if you enlarge the pic (hold down "Ctrl" and press "+" a few times) you can see the black topping on the funnel. Britannia's funnel is all beige/cream. Different superstructure too.

For good looks, the IOM steamers left Britannia dead in the water !
(IMHO of course!)

Have been aboard Britannia (as a paying, lower-orders pleb) a couple of times in Leith. She's absolutely pristine from stem to stern. She must consume about 75 tins of Brasso an hour !!

The smell and atmosphere of the IOM steamers was something to behold. Am I right in thinking there's one lying rusting away somewhere ??

Full ahead together !!

Here: Topic
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Photo - where? what? when? - 29th Jun 2011 2:37pm
Thanks. I'd forgotten all about that thread. I contributed to it as well ! Memory - wot memory ?????
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Photo - where? what? when? - 29th Jun 2011 6:59pm
YW Pinz. So sad to see such a beautiful little ship end up in that state - brings a tear to the eye, for sure...
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Photo - where? what? when? - 29th Jun 2011 8:11pm
Looks like TSS Tynwald, so that places the original photo pre-1974
(TSS Tynwald's last year of service, she was scrapped in 1975)...
Posted By: nightwalker Re: Photo - where? what? when? - 30th Jun 2011 9:01am
Thanks for all the info on the photo. Glad it brought back so many memories.
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Photo - where? what? when? - 30th Jun 2011 1:14pm
Thanks for posting it, that was always one of our favorite spots to sit in the car and watch the river - or sometimes, watch a ship pass through the lock - it's really quite nostalgic, looking at it now, from here (Stateside!) I can tell you!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral