Forums
Posted By: Jess53 Jones's milk bar - 19th Jun 2011 12:50pm
Hi Guys,
Can any one remember the Jone's milk bar on the corner of Poulton Rd and Lloyds corner? Do any of you have any photos at all? Great to hear from you about this!! Always a smile and great coffee from Sylvia Twigg the waitress. Jess
Posted By: 233Chris Re: Jones's milk bar - 19th Jun 2011 5:53pm
Hi, I only remember the coffee bar after it closed down. Sylvia Twigg was my nan. She worked at Lodges after she left the milk bar.
Posted By: torryman Re: Jones's milk bar - 19th Jun 2011 7:58pm
wasn't the milk bar next door but one to Gepps hardware store?
Posted By: Jess53 Re: Jones's milk bar - 19th Jun 2011 9:02pm
No Igoes was immediatley next door then Gepps. Mr Igoes had a doll in the window.
The doll was a ventquilist doll called Sonny Jim.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Jones's milk bar - 19th Jun 2011 10:11pm
Sorry,but I do think that Gepp's was next door but one to the milk bar.In between was a general store. In the summer of 1976 which was a heatwave,I remember Mrs Twigg collapsing after taking a cold drink of lemonade in the general store.
Posted By: Jess53 Re: Jones's milk bar - 20th Jun 2011 8:03am
Hi thanks for that. Would you have any photos of the area at all? We are building our family tree and would like to add photos as a part of the story of the members on our tree. Thanks Jess
Posted By: 233Chris Re: Jones's milk bar - 20th Jun 2011 2:08pm
I've come across a couple of negatives, can't really see much detail. Maybe you'd be intrested in having them properly developed?

Attached picture untitled2.JPG
Attached picture untitled.JPG
Posted By: annhigginson Re: Jones's milk bar - 20th Jun 2011 5:27pm
Loved the pictures >>>>>>>>> few cars
This was the hangout of the Atlantic Skiffle Group, Ron Harrison, John Lomax, Tony Cavannah,and my late husband Ron Higginson. Also several "boys" from the Littledale Road area.
Ann
Posted By: zigzagwanderer Re: Jones's milk bar - 20th Jun 2011 5:41pm
I don't remember the milk bar but there was a cafe - The Swinging Door (?) - close to Gepps , may have been by the bus stop , late '70's / early '80's .
Posted By: alan128 Re: Jones's milk bar - 20th Jun 2011 5:52pm
added tone to photos

Attached picture untitled a[1].jpg
Attached picture untitled2[1].JPG
Posted By: Jess53 Re: Jones's milk bar - 21st Jun 2011 10:31am
Pictures look much better with the tone, thanks!!
Posted By: olemuso Re: Jones's milk bar - 27th Jun 2019 4:26pm
Sorry to dig up this old post. I'm also trying to get some info on Jones' Milk Bar.
I do remember The Swinging Door, I used to spend quite a lot of time there. It was run by local entrepreneur, singer and compere Roger Planche.
Anybody know what happened to him?
He booked my mate Ken and I into The Grand Hotel Spanish Bar - Thursday nights I believe. We were called THE MINITS DUO (later a band).

ps. Why can't I view the pictures above?

Thanks.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral