Forums
Posted By: cooldarls smugglers tunnels royden park - 19th May 2011 11:14pm
Does anyone know if this is true. I remember years ago being told about them, apparently they went from thurstaton to royden park - red rock area. I know many years ago doing a night exercise in royden and one of our members of staff fell through into some sort of tunnel.

just wondered if anyone on here knew anything about them.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: smugglers tunnels royden park - 19th May 2011 11:25pm
There is evidence of a tunnel that may run from Thurstaston beach (or more correctly Dawpool Port)to Thurstaston Hall.

There may have been a tunnel under Telegraph Road near the bottom of the cutting by Thurstatson Common.

I remember some mention of a subsidence in Royden Park but no details.
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: smugglers tunnels royden park - 20th May 2011 7:35am
Good info DD, i'd be interested to hear more on this, i had a friend who lived next to irby hall, the chap that lived there apparntly had tunnels running under the land their I, vaguly rember seeing something as a kid behined one of the barns that looked like it may have had something to do with it ?
Posted By: davew3 Re: smugglers tunnels royden park - 20th May 2011 8:49am
A tunnel from Thurstaston beach to the hall through glacial clay?
Posted By: Helles Re: smugglers tunnels royden park - 20th May 2011 10:48am
Originally Posted by davew3

About as feasible as tunnels from Red noses to Mother Redcaps but instead of the clay it is pure sand. Good yarn though!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: smugglers tunnels royden park - 20th May 2011 10:54am
Originally Posted by davew3
Under the clay is solid sandstone, this is quite visible along parts of the coastline there.

There are a number of houses/buildings in the area (and even on the beach) which gives the clue that all is not mud wink
Posted By: philmch Re: smugglers tunnels royden park - 20th May 2011 9:19pm
I've certainly seen some tunnels in Royden Park close to Hillbark. It was back in the 1980s though and my memory is somewhat vague.

Having had a look at Google Earth, I'd say the location is somewhere in the woods at approx 53°21'46.10N, 3°08'12.36W

As for their going all the way to Thustaston though, I'm afraid it's rubbish.
Posted By: cooldarls Re: smugglers tunnels royden park - 20th May 2011 10:07pm
thnaks for all the replies. I know there are tunnels in royden park cos I seen them. the story of them going to thurstaston maybe be a myth but isnt that what this is for to try and find out the truth. thanks for all the nice replies
© Wirral-Wikiwirral