Forums
Posted By: leelad03 more ruins like Flint Castle - 15th Apr 2011 8:30pm
i have always been very interested in old ruins like this one... as i dont know much really, are there anything else simular to flint castle, very old ruins around wirral, or wales just as close to liverpool as flint castle is??

any pictures??. would be interested to read up about the places
Posted By: Archaeo Re: more ruins like Flint Castle - 15th Apr 2011 8:34pm
not exactly ruins, but there's a great mott and bailey at Shotwick Castle. Wirral's only Norman castle.
Posted By: Ogwen Re: more ruins like Flint Castle - 15th Apr 2011 8:52pm
Theres Ewloe castle in wepre wood. Its only a small ruin but its in a beautiful setting smile
Posted By: poodlepup Re: more ruins like Flint Castle - 15th Apr 2011 8:55pm
Caergwrle,near wrexham,nice day out!
Posted By: Archaeo Re: more ruins like Flint Castle - 15th Apr 2011 9:11pm
Originally Posted by Ogwen
Theres Ewloe castle in wepre wood. Its only a small ruin but its in a beautiful setting smile

I was here yesterday, take a picnic and a camera, it's stunning. Caergwrle is good too, as the castle sits within an Iron Age hillfort
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: more ruins like Flint Castle - 15th Apr 2011 9:17pm
pics on here mate https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/445626/Ewloe_castle_flint.html#Post445626
Posted By: woofie Re: more ruins like Flint Castle - 16th Apr 2011 12:59pm
Beeston Castle, just outside of Chester is worth a view. Also if you visit on the first Wednesday of the month they have a really good market & auction not far from the site.
Posted By: peodude Re: more ruins like Flint Castle - 16th Apr 2011 1:24pm
IIRC correctly there is an Abbey somewhere in North Wales, been a long time since i been so can't remember the name.
Posted By: poodlepup Re: more ruins like Flint Castle - 16th Apr 2011 1:30pm
Valley crucis abbey,llangollen maybe?
Posted By: Ogwen Re: more ruins like Flint Castle - 16th Apr 2011 1:47pm
Originally Posted by poodlepup

Or possibly basingwerk abbey near holywell smile ,
Posted By: peodude Re: more ruins like Flint Castle - 17th Apr 2011 12:08pm
I was thinking it was near Llangollen, so it may be Valley Crucis Abbey. Especially, given the name, i assume it is in a valley, and you can see it from the road below you, which is what i remember?

Google says you have to pay there now, i never remember having to pay in the past.
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: more ruins like Flint Castle - 17th Apr 2011 3:51pm
Here's a link to the website:

Valle Crucis Abbey

Posted By: Garygadge Re: more ruins like Flint Castle - 18th Apr 2011 9:39am
Greenfield Valley Heritage Park

What is left of basingwerk abbey.

Nice place to look around and not far away.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: more ruins like Flint Castle - 18th Apr 2011 4:17pm

We stumbled upon this place today when we were visiting the horseshoe pass, nice old place. Built around 1105 irc smile
Posted By: poodlepup Re: more ruins like Flint Castle - 18th Apr 2011 4:24pm
Yeah nice isn't ste,great place llangollen!
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: more ruins like Flint Castle - 18th Apr 2011 4:44pm
yes Not done the town yet but was out at the aquaduct yesterday.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: more ruins like Flint Castle - 18th Apr 2011 5:49pm
Yeah nice isn't ste,great place llangollen!

Yes, on the way home we went to Chester to visit the cathedral but couldn't find a legal parking space, we decided we would head home only to find that Chester are having new water pipes fitted and we were diverted through the busy shopping centre smack how embarrassing, my red car isn't the quietest of cars! There were people sitting eating lunch with us driving past in a tank which no matter how slow you drive it doesn't get any quieter frown
Next time I'll be taking the black one.
Posted By: chriskay Re: more ruins like Flint Castle - 18th Apr 2011 9:23pm
It's gas pipes actually. I love Chester but would never drive there; train is easy & there's a free bus from the station to the centre every 10 minutes.
Oh, & they want £5 entry to the cathedral now, unless you're attending a service.
Posted By: w10694 Re: more ruins like Flint Castle - 18th Apr 2011 9:41pm
There was a tramway that ran alongside the Horshoe Pass, past the abbey, and crossed over the stone arches to the canalside, it came down from the slate quarries on the top, there was an incline plane up to the top as well, just about still obvious. The route is pretty obvious alongside the road (on the left going up).

Excellent signalling on the railway as well......
Posted By: atw1960 Re: more ruins like Flint Castle - 23rd Apr 2011 1:10pm
On the subject of Llangollen,Dinas Bran castle is well worth seeing and the view from the top is breathtaking.Just follow the signs from the canal cafe.
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: more ruins like Flint Castle - 24th Apr 2011 6:07pm
Originally Posted by atw1960
On the subject of Llangollen,Dinas Bran castle is well worth seeing and the view from the top is breathtaking.Just follow the signs from the canal cafe.

Is that the ruin that is also known as Crow Castle? It used to give me the creeps when I was a child, seeing it from the river! Don't know why, but it did! Many years later I climbed up there (walked - not difficult) and tried to exorcise the creepy feeling!
Posted By: chriskay Re: more ruins like Flint Castle - 24th Apr 2011 8:34pm
Originally Posted by Roslynmuse

Is that the ruin that is also known as Crow Castle? It used to give me the creeps when I was a child, seeing it from the river! Don't know why, but it did! Many years later I climbed up there (walked - not difficult) and tried to exorcise the creepy feeling!

Yes, that's it. Dinas Bran literally translates as Crow City.
Posted By: leelad03 Re: more ruins like Flint Castle - 25th Apr 2011 7:04pm
thats brilliant, how far is that from liverpool would be interested in going with my camera smile
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: more ruins like Flint Castle - 25th Apr 2011 8:15pm
Originally Posted by leelad03
thats brilliant, how far is that from liverpool would be interested in going with my camera smile

About an hour, maybe slightly more, by car. It's about 50 miles via the tunnel.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral