Forums
I've got a couple of photos in my collection that I've got no idea who they are (they are not members of my immediate family as far as I know).
Any help to recognise them would be much appreciated.

On the back of the picture of the soldier it says John , died menigitis 1923 ,Mary died June 2nd 1924 ,Dad died 21st Feb 1930.

My family are Dodds,/Brown's &Iveson's from New Ferry /Bebington and Port Sunlight , but as i said I don't think these are photo's of immediate family.

Attached picture IMG_0015.jpg
Attached picture IMG_0015 - Copy.jpg
Posted By: chris7777 Re: A couple of mystery photos in my collection - 10th Apr 2011 10:41am
lovely phot's wish i could help, but have to say the baby in 1st photo has a look of the soldier in the 2nd!
There is a massive Dodd family tree on Ancestry.co.uk who come from new ferry bebington area. I think the last one listed who has died is Alan Dodd 1999 so maybe some of the authors of the trees can shed a light. I'm attached to the tree via a distant relative
Thanks Cameraman , Alan Dodd was my Dad, and I know the treeon Ancestry , but I suspect the photos may be friends of the Browns/Iveson's , not that i've got anything to base that on.
will have a scout around and see what I can dig up, looks like a local regiment by the cap badge, I do a lot of military and family history and as I said, we are distantly related via a relative from the late 1800's. Alan is attached to the Woodfin family tree
Posted By: bert1 Re: A couple of mystery photos in my collection - 11th Apr 2011 6:27am
The outline of the cap badge looks like the Cheshire Regiment, possibly an officer, i think thats an officers belt he's wearing and could be a pip on his shoulder.
Posted By: Helles Re: A couple of mystery photos in my collection - 11th Apr 2011 10:29am
Looks like a Cheshires badge but I doubt he is an officer. "Pip" is probably just his battalion id but only guessing.
Photoshop'd the shot, deffo Cheshire regt and a junior rank not officer. Have done a quick trawl through Cheshire regt archives. Looking at the age of the soldier would say over 25 under 40. About 3 Dodd's from Wirral match. Two are John Dodd's, one KIA 10 Aug 1917 and the other survives. Other Dodd's are too young ( Frank Dodd KIA 4 Sept 1916, his photo in the Roll of honour book doesn't match yours. If the surname is Brown, there are over 10 in the Cheshires from the Wirral but drawn a blank on Iveson. Still playing with the other names on the photo but can't get a match at the moment
thanks Cameraman
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: A couple of mystery photos in my collection - 12th Apr 2011 12:21pm
Definitely not a Sam Brown belt, so he's just a squaddie. Not quite an officer style hat either. He does look very relaxed though.
The photograph of the soldier is definitely not Cheshire Regiment as Cameraman suggested. The soldier is of the Army Service Corps / Royal Army Service Corps (from 1918 onwards), and the photo was probably taken post 1916.
Just had another look at the photograph of the soldier, and it looks like he is wearing the economy shoulder title slides, rather than the brass shoulder titles. These were brought in about 1916/1917
I stand corrected Soldier 13. I'm more of a navy history buff than army. Will have another scout through the records now. Thanks for the tip cool
Posted By: Helles Re: A couple of mystery photos in my collection - 7th Jun 2011 4:35pm
Originally Posted by cameraman
I stand corrected Soldier 13. I'm more of a navy history buff than army. Will have another scout through the records now. Thanks for the tip cool

Careful, his great uncle was in the Royal Naval Division WW1. smile
smile Studied about the RNR in the naval division battalions and did 20 years myself (Not during WW1 before you say anything smile
Hope you not offended, or think I'm a smart-alec, mate. Although I'm a plastic pongo (25 years), I do like Naval history a good deal. Was researching (and intend going back to) the sinking of the former White Star Liner and Armed Merchant Cruiser H.M.S. Laurentic, which sank on 25th January, 1917, with the loss of 350 men out of a compliment of 470.
No worries soldier 13, plastic myself HMS Eaglet grin
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: A couple of mystery photos in my collection - 9th Jun 2011 6:35pm
My Uncle Roy was RNR, Lt Cdr, (R. L. Bird) he served aboard HMSS Thunderbolt (formerly Thetis, of course)... there's a pic of him here: Click for topic

Oops! sorry - didn't mean to thread-jack...!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral