Forums
Posted By: snowshoes Remembering - 22nd Mar 2011 10:14am
Does any-one remember Warmingtons Hardware Store in Wallasey Village in the early 60's? He was my uncle 'Uncle Vic'. His wifes name was Elsie and they lived on Leasowe Rd. Before that he was a police man.
Posted By: lansyp Re: Remembering - 22nd Mar 2011 12:39pm
was it the place with the conveyor belts to the store room?
Posted By: snowshoes Re: Remembering - 22nd Mar 2011 1:30pm
I don't remember the conveyor belts. The shop was roughly opposite The Lighthouse pub.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Remembering - 23rd Mar 2011 7:08am
Originally Posted by softshoes
I don't remember the conveyor belts. The shop was roughly opposite The Lighthouse pub.

I lived in the village about then & the name rings a bell. Opposite the Lighthouse was Allens coal yard, a chippie that had been a restuarant in busier times & a large tin shed that was a spiritualist place, right on the corner of Green Lane.

Calling "Snodvan" & his Mum!
Posted By: snowshoes Re: Remembering - 23rd Mar 2011 9:37am
"uncle Vic' could be described in statute as having a rather rotunde figure. A very jovial person, forever a smile on his face. Sort of the like "The Laughing Policeman'.

I had a friend about the same time who lived opposite "the Phoenix', his name was Chris Gibbons.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Remembering - 24th Mar 2011 7:23am
I went to school (St. Georges, Leasowe Rd) with a George Chatterton who lived in a stone cottage opposite the Farmers Arms/Cosmo Garage (Esso Station) if that's any help.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Remembering - 24th Mar 2011 8:30am
Originally Posted by Tatey
Originally Posted by softshoes

I lived in the village about then & the name rings a bell. Opposite the Lighthouse was Allens coal yard, a chippie that had been a restuarant in busier times & a large tin shed that was a spiritualist place, right on the corner of Green Lane.

Calling "Snodvan" & his Mum!

I'll print the thread and see mum later

Somewhat more worrying is that I AM easy old enough to be able to remember "things" in the Village during the 60s. By the mid 60s I used to get my coal delivered by Allens. In earlier years I remember us kids banging on the tin walls of "Spooks Hall" as we called it, just for a laugh.

Snod
Posted By: snowshoes Re: Remembering - 24th Mar 2011 10:08am
Thank-you

btw...if you don't mind me asking. How old is your Mum?
My Mum ran the 'Merrivale' guest house in New Brighton
featured in that brochure on here recently
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Remembering - 24th Mar 2011 7:18pm
Mum is 93 and has lived in the Village all her life
She was born in what was then Granville Terrace just off Green Lane "around the back" of Spooks Hall. Now it is called Wood Lane. The family names from the Village are Ledsham, Hughes and Upton/ Upshon.

Snod
Posted By: nightwalker Re: Remembering - 28th Mar 2011 1:32pm
Originally Posted by Snodvan
Mum is 93 and has lived in the Village all her life
She was born in what was then Granville Terrace just off Green Lane "around the back" of Spooks Hall. Now it is called Wood Lane. The family names from the Village are Ledsham, Hughes and Upton/ Upshon.

Snod

Are these your family names, Snod? My Mum was an Upton and I know that her Mum lived in Granville Terrace before she was married.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral