Forums
Posted By: bert1 Birkenhead College - 12th Mar 2011 10:24am
Whats known about this college?
What building did it occupy and is the building still standing, etc, etc.

Attached picture col1.JPG
Attached picture col2.JPG
Posted By: paranoidballoon Re: Birkenhead College - 12th Mar 2011 10:40am
I think this might be the old nurses home which stood next to the bowling green.
Posted By: nightwalker Re: Birkenhead College - 12th Mar 2011 10:53am
1881 census shows the address as 2 Park Road South if that helps. A fascinating read. Interesting to note that they find it necessary to state that each boarder has their own bed!
Posted By: bert1 Re: Birkenhead College - 12th Mar 2011 11:09am
Cheers Nightwalker, so that would be the opposite side of the park from Para's thoughts, Need Derek to put a Street/building map up.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Birkenhead College - 12th Mar 2011 11:17am
I guess 2,Park Rd. South would be next to the Gothic Lodge, the building marked "inst." on the map.

Attached picture Park Rd. South.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Birkenhead College - 12th Mar 2011 11:31am
map as requested 1950s

Attached picture park rd south.jpg
Posted By: paranoidballoon Re: Birkenhead College - 12th Mar 2011 11:37am
I have read about this but cant find it again. Bert has me spot on.My question is what was the building I am thinking of.I can remember going to dances in the buiding in the sixties. It was demolished in the late seveties, I think. When I was reading the History of the building (colledge etc) I took it to be the one on North Road.I was doing double smackers with my coat collar in my mouth in the 50s, around the park so a good chance we galloped past each other.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Birkenhead College - 12th Mar 2011 11:37am
Thanks Chris, Derek, so Para may be right, i was thinking of the bowling greens the other side of the park, this building may have been it.

Attached picture inst.JPG
© Wirral-Wikiwirral