Forums
Posted By: bert1 Births, Marriages, Deaths - 9th Mar 2011 9:57am
Are there any actual sites that,

Show the name of the parents (birth)
Show the Fathers names (marriage)
Next of Kin (death)

Up to now, apart from one parish site, all i keep getting is a name, place, they could be anyone, then the con kicks in, send away for certificate which might not be the right one, I understand a trip to the records office would help, but just wondering if there is anything online.
Posted By: ManxCat Re: Births, Marriages, Deaths - 9th Mar 2011 10:21am
I got myself a Ancestry Family Tree maker program which comes with six months access to Ancestry.co.uk

This is an excellent resource for BMD information and has most up to date and acurate infomation.

I paid £29 for the software package which gave me full access to all records both english and irish.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Births, Marriages, Deaths - 9th Mar 2011 10:30am
Thanks Manxcat, I've got the full Ancestry, unless I'm doing something terribly wrong, i just get a name and place, it really could be anyone, it would help if it showed parents names in Births for example, at least one would be able to tell if one was on the right track.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Births, Marriages, Deaths - 9th Mar 2011 10:35am
Bert, I'm on there as well. I think the rule of thumb is that you shouldn't pay out for docs unless you are dead certain of the facts as to who the person is. There are lots who have paid out for false trails. I don't anyone is conning anyone though, just don't order on flimsy evidence. I haven't ordered any myself so gen is only from reading other peoples woes. Most of the bits I know of my lot are from someone else paying for the docs, got back to 1760 on paternal line.
Posted By: Geekus Re: Births, Marriages, Deaths - 9th Mar 2011 10:36am
Just a suggestion, bert ...but have you tried looking at the 'Family History Society of Cheshire' web-site? There's quite a lot of good advice and useful links etc., on there.

Might be worth a browse.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Births, Marriages, Deaths - 9th Mar 2011 10:45am
Thanks Geekus, I'll try that.

Bandy, i don't want the certs, as you know, the fathers name is on the census, its getting the womans maiden name, thats the main problem.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Births, Marriages, Deaths - 9th Mar 2011 10:56am
Register with Ancestry - they give you a free 14 day trial. They do take your details, but if you cancel within the 14 days they do not charge you smile
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Births, Marriages, Deaths - 9th Mar 2011 11:05am
Agree on the maiden name bit bert, some records here and there have them on but you have to hunt all over the place. It takes so much time you hardly have time to get on Wiki. Good hunting anyway.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Births, Marriages, Deaths - 9th Mar 2011 11:06am
Fully paid up member Stu, Grrrrrrrrrrr and to the crash hat wearing society.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Births, Marriages, Deaths - 9th Mar 2011 11:08am
Is it possible to find an exact death date on there? I registered, and all I got was month and year - which I already knew.... think
Posted By: ManxCat Re: Births, Marriages, Deaths - 9th Mar 2011 11:15am
Yes, when you sign up to Ancestry they do take your card details but you can cancel at anytime or change your card number on their systems.

There have been problems with people trying to cancel the trial subscriptions, some syaing it took up to eighteen months.

I have printed off the parish records instead of paying for the actual certificates.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Births, Marriages, Deaths - 9th Mar 2011 11:20am
Originally Posted by StuyMac
Is it possible to find an exact death date on there? I registered, and all I got was month and year - which I already knew.... think

You won't get the actual day of anything, just the month or quarter, they want you to send away for the cert for more detailed info.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Births, Marriages, Deaths - 9th Mar 2011 11:34am
Pah!
Posted By: Geekus Re: Births, Marriages, Deaths - 9th Mar 2011 11:59am
Just as a general pointer: -

Birth index shows the maiden names of the mother on records from Sept, 1911 but not before.

From March 1912, the marriage index shows the suname of the new spouse.

Death indexes from March 1866 to 1969 show the deceased's age at death. From June 1969, the deceased's date of birth is shown. frown
Posted By: nightwalker Re: Births, Marriages, Deaths - 9th Mar 2011 3:51pm
Originally Posted by bert1

Bandy, i don't want the certs, as you know, the fathers name is on the census, its getting the womans maiden name, thats the main problem.

If you have an idea of the date of marriage, try the freeBMD site (www.freebmd.org.uk/) which will show the full names of both spouses. Won't give you the actual date of marriage but could give you a maiden name to tie in with the wife's first name on the census.

Cheshire BMD (www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/) has a pretty good coverage for marriages - up to the 1930s and later for some places. Coverage varies for other parts of the country
Posted By: OxtonHill Re: Births, Marriages, Deaths - 9th Mar 2011 4:03pm
Originally Posted by bert1
i don't want the certs, as you know, the fathers name is on the census, its getting the womans maiden name, thats the main problem.

It should be pointed out that what is recorded on the census might not tie in with what's on a certificate. Many children are on the census as son, dau to a certain couple, it's only when you see the birth certificate it can show father unknown.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Births, Marriages, Deaths - 9th Mar 2011 4:04pm
Thanks Nightwalker, will try
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Births, Marriages, Deaths - 9th Mar 2011 4:19pm
Hi Bert,if i remember rightly on ancestry i use to pick out which marriage it could be say mr bill smith married june 1930 vol 1b,then if you have the first name of wife from census search for her marriage with the first name and the volume number 1b and then you can tie the two together

hope it helps,other than that only other way is to look in parish records or yes pay a bloody fortune for certificates
Posted By: bert1 Re: Births, Marriages, Deaths - 9th Mar 2011 4:47pm
Thanks Poodle, I'll give that a try.
Posted By: Dolly_007 Re: Births, Marriages, Deaths - 9th Mar 2011 10:29pm
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governm...vents/Familyhistoryandresearch/index.htm

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp

Cheers
DOLLY.
Posted By: areyoumycuz Re: Births, Marriages, Deaths - 2nd Mar 2012 6:47pm
I know you posted this over a year ago, but I just got here. This might help others. www.familysearch.org. They post as much information as they can with all their records.

© Wirral-Wikiwirral