Forums
Posted By: jenscho Old School - Hoylake - 8th Mar 2011 11:31pm
Does anyone remember the old school that was on Meols Drive between Hoylake and West Kirby? I lived quite close to it and in the old days (!) me and my brother and our friends all used to go and play in the remains of bits that were there, including the empty swimming pool. There was a rumour there were big air raid shelters too. Now, I'm going back nearly 20 years (oh my god!) so my memories are a bit hazy but does anyone know what I'm on about or have any piccies etc??
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Old School - Hoylake - 8th Mar 2011 11:49pm

Leas school?
Posted By: jenscho Re: Old School - Hoylake - 8th Mar 2011 11:57pm
oooh yeah that sounds familiar!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Old School - Hoylake - 9th Mar 2011 12:07am
It was on the edge of the Royal Liverpool golf course, has a new "estate" built there now called Leas Drive or similar.

Haven't found a full picture yet, friendsreunited has some pictures -but I've forgotten my logon idiot
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Old School - Hoylake - 9th Mar 2011 12:16am

Attached picture Leas School.jpg
Posted By: hoseman Re: Old School - Hoylake - 9th Mar 2011 7:53am
I remember riding past this place in my teens on way to Saturday job in butchers in west Kirby. We lived in moreton, i did this after school every nite and all day Sat and got paid the pricely sum of £6.00 in late 70`s.
It was Baxters butchers in The Cresent
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Old School - Hoylake - 9th Mar 2011 11:11pm
A couple of old pics of the Leas School in Edwardian times, and one of the school's original indoor pool - not sure if this was the same one you played in though, they'd probably had a new one built by then!

Attached picture The Leas 1.jpg
Attached picture The Leas 2.jpg
Attached picture Leas Pool.jpg
Posted By: Dolly_007 Re: Old School - Hoylake - 10th Mar 2011 6:22pm
Hi,

My Aunt was the Housekeeper and her husband looked after the Gardens in the late 1960's/early 70's.

Cheers
Dolly.
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Old School - Hoylake - 19th Jan 2012 6:30pm
I used to muck about there in my teens in the 90's been looking for the history one this for ages, thanks to Dd for the clicky smile
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Old School - Hoylake - 19th Jan 2012 6:31pm
Wonder wether ghe air raids are still intact ?
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Old School - Hoylake - 19th Jan 2012 7:01pm
The pool building was still intact for years after the school was demolished. My mate was a budding photographer and did what we now call UE there in the late 90s. I remember the school building being there when our school bus used to pass it every day.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Old School - Hoylake - 19th Jan 2012 7:54pm
Any remains are well gone, Leas Park having been built right over the site. Leas Park was started to be built in 2000.

Here is an aerial from 1997 after all the buildings had been demolished and before the re-development.

Attached picture leas1997.jpg
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Old School - Hoylake - 19th Jan 2012 8:28pm
The pool building has indeed been gone a long time now but it survived for a few years after the school because it was away from the main building and not on the site of the housing development. It was also largely hidden from sight from the road by vegetation and small trees so I presume demolishing it was not a high priority to the land owner.
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Old School - Hoylake - 19th Jan 2012 8:38pm
My version of google earth throws up this image from 2000 of the Leas park development getting built and the pool building.

Attached picture pool..jpg
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Old School - Hoylake - 19th Jan 2012 9:40pm
Spot on kev, the swimming pool was all that remained when i was last there, amazing to see what it was once like and how big the actual site was, gutted i never got to see it in its hay day frown
Posted By: PatriciaM Re: Old School - Hoylake - 26th Jun 2022 9:19am
How can I access the photos of the old Leas School. Three of my Moss ancestors went to school at Leas
Posted By: moretonkiwi Re: Old School - Hoylake - 3rd Sep 2022 9:55am
Hi Patricia, I don't have any photos of the old Leas School but have you tried contacting the Wirral Archives on their website www.wirral.gov.uk as they may be able to help you.
Just as a matter of interest are you in anyway related to the late Jim and Doris Moss of Moreton, and their son Peter and daughter Susan? My mother and her siblings went to Hoylake Parade School, and they had known Doris and Jim for most of their lives. As I was growing up we lived in the same road as Doris and Jim. Peter and Susan would be in their 70's now if they are still living.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral