Forums
Posted By: miranda4 Magazines village Bromborough - 5th Mar 2011 5:48pm
Where would I start to look for more information and pictures about The Magazines. My Grandfathers family lived and worked there for some time and I can hardly find out anything about it.
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Magazines village Bromborough - 5th Mar 2011 5:58pm

Information and pictures of Magazine Village here
Posted By: miranda4 Re: Magazines village Bromborough - 5th Mar 2011 6:02pm
Fantastic! Thank you. There is so much info here smile
Posted By: Geekus Re: Magazines village Bromborough - 5th Mar 2011 7:30pm
If, by any chance, your grandfather was related to the Peers family I'm pretty sure there are a couple of family graves at St.Hilary's in Wallasey which mention The Magazines, Bromborough on the inscriptions.

Posted By: nightwalker Re: Magazines village Bromborough - 6th Mar 2011 2:15pm
Originally Posted by geekus
If, by any chance, your grandfather was related to the Peers family I'm pretty sure there are a couple of family graves at St.Hilary's in Wallasey which mention The Magazines, Bromborough on the inscriptions.

I was intrigued by the reference to St. Hilary’s. I did some research into the Wallasey Peers family a few years ago and have dug out my notes. Once again, geekus, you’re spot on:

Double plot

Here resteth the body of Margaret Peers, wife of William Peers of the Magazines, Liscard, who departed this life on the 17th day of March 1819 aged 74 years.

Also, William Peers of the Magazines, Bromborough, son of William and Margaret Peers, died 22 July 1867 in his 81st year.

Here resteth the body of William Peers of the Magazines, Liscard, who departed this life on the 19th day of September 1816 aged 78 years.

Looks as though William senior passed the job on to his son, as William junior is recorded at Liscard Magazines in the 1841 and 1851 censuses. He must have been transferred to Bromborough in 1852 (even though he was then 65 years old) as he appears on the 1861 census there as the Storekeeper.
Posted By: Geekus Re: Magazines village Bromborough - 6th Mar 2011 5:33pm
Cheers Nightwalker.

I can picture the graves in my mind and I could tell you their exact location in the churchyard, but I didn't have an actual note of the full inscription - so thank you for confirming the details.

I believe the Liscard Magazines were established as early as the 1760's but were removed following an Act of Parliament in 1851.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral