Forums
Posted By: Nuge23 The Mount House / The Mount Primary School - 20th Feb 2011 12:45am
just registered/logged on haven't worked out how to use the site yet. I am doing some local history with children. Do you have anything on The Mount big house which I understand stood at the top of the hill on Mount Road and/or can you tell me what was on the corner plot of Hamilton Road before Mount Primary was built in the early 1950'x Any help would be well received especially if you can bring it/send it to the school Mount Plesant Road
Try THIS link, halfway down the page
Further to the above, on the corner of Hamilton was Hollybank???

Attached picture Hollybank.jpg
Posted By: Nuge23 Re: The Mount House / The Mount Primary School - 20th Feb 2011 1:35pm
Thank you so much, that's a real good start for me to search.

x
Welcomr to the WikiWirral machine Nudge.
Posted By: sparky Re: The Mount House / The Mount Primary School - 20th Feb 2011 6:19pm
The Mount was a large white house which stood at the corner of what is now Stoneby Drive and Mount Road. It was a school until it was demolished in 1935. I have a book called Old Mansions of Wallasey which has a picture of the house and a map. I could copy it and bring it to the school.
Great to hear that primary school children are getting involved in local history.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The Mount House / The Mount Primary School - 20th Feb 2011 8:16pm
I echo nightwalker's comments entirely. It is very good that children are taught about what has happened on their doorstep in years gone by. There's a chance they can relate to it.

I wish they had done "local" history when I was at school. Sorry, but being told of some Greek bint sitting on a rock doing kareoke or whatever at passing sailors left me a little cold.

Sorry. Off topic. Local history needs all the encouragement possible. Good work nudge!
The great thing about local history is its different facets, particularly the social aspect. It can be fascinating analysing the census returns. For example, on the 1901 census, Holly Bank, the big house identified by diggingdeeper as being on the old Mount Primary site had six residents who were looked after by four live-in sevants! Of the ten living there only one had been born in Wallasey - indicative of the huge influx of people into the area in the late 19th century.

Nudge, I've attached copies of the 1901 census covering the big houses in Mount Road. If you can't read them properly (I think there's a way to enlarge them but I don't know how!) let me know and I'll arrange for them to be dropped in at school if they are of any interest.

Incidentally, my grand daughter is an ex-pupil of Mount Primary and her interest in local history started with some of the projects she was involved in there. So much so that a recent project she did at Oldershaw on the Guide Dogs for the Blind Association has been placed on the .. site that diggingdeeper put you in touch with. Keep up the good work!

Attached picture 1901Census-mount1.jpg
Attached picture 1901Census-mount2.jpg
Attached picture 1901Census-mount3.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral