Forums
Posted By: bambi18 Manor Mansions on Manor Road, Wallasey - 8th Feb 2011 4:05pm
Can anyone please tell me anything about the history of Manor Mansions and whether it is haunted ?
many thanks
Posted By: Geekus Re: Manor Mansions on Manor Road, Wallasey - 8th Feb 2011 5:16pm
Don't know if it's haunted but I know it was originally part of a school. Weatherhead, I think.

The school first started in the concert hall building on the corner of Manor Road & Grosvenor St., before expanding across the way (into the Manor Mansions site) & then later into Mount Pleasant Rd.
Posted By: nicky Re: Manor Mansions on Manor Road, Wallasey - 8th Feb 2011 5:48pm
Hey just found this link to another thread on here, dunno if its any help. I didnt read it enough to work out if they were talking of manor road or lane!

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/295146/Mansions_of_Wallasey_Manor_Roa.html
Posted By: little_pob Re: Manor Mansions on Manor Road, Wallasey - 8th Feb 2011 5:52pm
It was originally 2 semi-detached houses.

According to my copy of Almost an Island (Noël E Smith), the school that became Weatherhead was located at in the building from 1890. It goes on to imply they were still at this site in 1908 when Cheshire County Council took over running of the school. However, the section about St. Columba's Church on the Egremont Churches page of PaulWirral's site suggests they had vacated before 1904.

The name seems to come from the original conversion to flats after the school left the premises, rather than a name applied to the two homes.
Posted By: Geekus Re: Manor Mansions on Manor Road, Wallasey - 8th Feb 2011 5:55pm
Didn't explain myself very well before but, yes, Manor Mansions did first start out as a pair of Victorian semis. These were then converted in school buildings before later becoming flats.

What makes you think that they're haunted?
Posted By: little_pob Re: Manor Mansions on Manor Road, Wallasey - 8th Feb 2011 6:20pm
Originally Posted by nicky
Hey just found this link to another thread on here, dunno if its any help. I didnt read it enough to work out if they were talking of manor road or lane!

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/295146/Mansions_of_Wallasey_Manor_Roa.html

There were a couple of "manors" around Wallasey...

Manor Lodge was on the corner of Withens Lane and Manor Road. The site is currently a two storey block of flats.

Liscard Manor House was located on the site the Mariners' Home now occupies - if you go down Manor Lane to the river you'll pass where it used to be.

Also the building used as the children's library at Earlston might have been known as the Manor House or Old Manor House before becoming known as Rose Mount and then Earlston House.
Posted By: bambi18 Re: Manor Mansions on Manor Road, Wallasey - 9th Feb 2011 9:07am
My daughter lives in one of the flats, sometimes when she's in bed she hears doors opening and closing, plates in the kitchen as if someone is moving them and when she wakes up in the morning there's internal doors open which where closed when she went to sleep. When her fiance is there though nothing happens.
Posted By: Geekus Re: Manor Mansions on Manor Road, Wallasey - 9th Feb 2011 9:29am
Maybe if you post a seperate message about this on the paranormal forum you'll get some more info or ideas. Not all ghost fans are into history, so some Wiki members may not have seen your request.

Very interesting story though. Perhaps your daughter is just less anxious when her fiance is around, so she isn't giving off so much disruptive nervous energy of her own?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral