Forums
Posted By: Martin1943 Harrison Park - 27th Jan 2011 2:31pm
I am intrigued by Harrison Park. I walk the dog there every day and have visited there since the late 1940's. However it seems evident that the "hill" is artificial. It sticks out of the flat surroundings as if planted there, moreover it contains what appears to contain building rubble, bits of iron pipework stick out of it and also concrete.
I wonder if it is compose of the remains of an earlier building on the site, or if it contains war rubble (can't be second World War though).
Does anyone have its history?
Posted By: overthehill Re: Harrison Park - 27th Jan 2011 5:19pm
My late father in law told me that the site was a 'tip' well before WW2 when all sorts of rubbish was dumped there. It was then eventually developed into Harrison Park. Might answer the question regarding rubble etc. Anyone else heard of this?

Posted By: Martin1943 Re: Harrison Park - 28th Jan 2011 10:46pm
Thanks for that information. It was certainly much as it is now when I first played there in the late 1940's so that precludes WW II. It did occur to me while walking there today that it may be spoil from the building of the railway. That is just a guess of course, but it would mean it was developed in the 1800's.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Harrison Park - 29th Jan 2011 8:38am
"The land for Harrison Park was presented to the town in 1886 by the family of James Harrison in memory of their parents"
from The Rise & Progress of Wallasey.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral