Forums
Posted By: bettybiscuit Bertha street prefabs birkenhead - 24th Jan 2011 10:44pm
does anyone remember the prefabs in bertha street birkenhead ?:/ or have any photographs
Posted By: arsenal Re: Bertha street prefabs birkenhead - 25th Jan 2011 10:25am
my wife remembers them cos her auntie dot lived in a house there no.3.she remembers the o'flaherty,s lived in the corner one and a family called hughes lived in one of the others.but no photos sorry
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Bertha street prefabs birkenhead - 25th Jan 2011 2:17pm
Talking about resurrecting prefabs now to help with the housing shortage. Different papers say different things about them, e.g. one said they were badly designed, but I remember going in them and thinking they were brilliant. The peeps who lived in them weren't too dischuffed either, they were better than the back to backs in the side streets. Had a couple of mates lived in the ones on the corner of Price Street and Livingstone Street, lovely little pads.
Posted By: paranoidballoon Re: Bertha street prefabs birkenhead - 25th Jan 2011 2:35pm
Tin town Ellersmere Port are prefabs really nice inside I think they had the tin roofs changed to tiles. Anybody remmember the St Anne street area bookies in a prefab, kept the loot in a tin box at the back as far away from the punters as possible. Somebody put a hammer through the wall and had the lot,This was happend when it was open.(sixties)
Posted By: cathcart Re: Bertha street prefabs birkenhead - 25th Jan 2011 3:02pm
i remember the prefabs on livingstone street and price street in the 50s always thought they was ok.
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Bertha street prefabs birkenhead - 25th Jan 2011 3:19pm
Didn't there used to be a little estate of prefabs in Highfield South in Rock Ferry, just by the church?
Posted By: arsenal Re: Bertha street prefabs birkenhead - 25th Jan 2011 8:41pm
anyone remember the prefabs in moon street and moon street
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Bertha street prefabs birkenhead - 25th Jan 2011 9:00pm
Originally Posted by arsenal
moon street and moon street
?
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Bertha street prefabs birkenhead - 25th Jan 2011 10:01pm
I can remember a load Pasture Rd opposite to Cadburys
and vaguely an estate of them on the left as you go through the lights at Upton towards Greasby
Posted By: arsenal Re: Bertha street prefabs birkenhead - 26th Jan 2011 10:07am
sorry i meant moon street and rose street(senior moment)
Posted By: Spellbinder Re: Bertha street prefabs birkenhead - 19th Jan 2012 4:06pm
Originally Posted by ludwigvan
Didn't there used to be a little estate of prefabs in Highfield South in Rock Ferry, just by the church?

Yes. They were in Ward Grove off Highfield South.

Posted By: bigpete Re: Bertha street prefabs birkenhead - 20th Feb 2012 1:45pm
There's a couple in private hands in Quarry Lane, Thingwall
Posted By: elizamarie Re: Bertha street prefabs birkenhead - 3rd Jul 2012 10:50pm
I used to live in corporation road and I remember the prefabs. I remember linda Binnie who lived there
Posted By: bigpete Re: Bertha street prefabs birkenhead - 22nd Aug 2012 1:01pm
Don't remember them - but remember the ones between Ilchester Road and buccleuch Street - where the centre is now.... me Nan lived in station Road
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Bertha street prefabs birkenhead - 22nd Aug 2012 1:32pm
Originally Posted by cathcart
i remember the prefabs on livingstone street and price street in the 50s always thought they was ok.

Peter Currie and Paul Lowe used to live in them, I always thought they were ok too. Bathroom, indoor lavvy, little garden - cushty.
Posted By: dool4lit4tle Re: Bertha street prefabs birkenhead - 22nd Sep 2012 8:11pm
My friend used to live in a prefab, on the corner of Leicester Street and St.Mary's gate.
Posted By: Briannic Re: Bertha street prefabs birkenhead - 23rd Oct 2019 10:42pm
I remember the Prefabs in Moon Street and Rose Street, Birkenhead..
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Bertha street prefabs birkenhead - 24th Oct 2019 12:04am
There were quiet a lot of different places, here are some near the tunnel and others near Livingstone Street baths I spotted the other day when I was looking for something else. Third one is by Seymour Street, Tranmere. Fourth is Laurel Road and Milton road, Tranmere

Attached picture 2019-10-24_005825.jpg
Attached picture 2019-10-24_010128.jpg
Attached picture 2019-10-24_011218.jpg
Attached picture 2019-10-24_011542.jpg
Posted By: dingle Re: Bertha street prefabs birkenhead - 7th Feb 2020 5:27am
Quite a few in Tranmere. I was born in Dingle Rd, directly across Borough Rd from my later school Christchurch Claughton. The bombers in WW2 dropped a number of bombs in that area from Victoria Road thru to the other end of Dingle Rd. Also over Borough Rd at the bottom of Brattan Rd, destroyed maybe 20 plus houses that were replace by prefabs. As an aside, if the bombadier on that plane had dropped those bombs about 30 metres later you would not be reading this. Because at the bottom of our back garden on Borough Rd is a Petrol Station.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral