Forums
Posted By: cathcart cathcart street school and marion street - 12th Jan 2011 9:23pm
i know i have tried before but with all the new members since i asked im hoping someone has pictures of cathcart street school in the 50s or before. also marion street and the the swing park at the bottom of marion street on camden street.
Posted By: cathcart Re: cathcart street school and marion street - 17th May 2011 5:34pm
thanks for your interest,i wont give in someone must have something of interest.thanks again.
Posted By: marty99fred Re: cathcart street school and marion street - 21st May 2011 2:20am
No luck with Cathcart Street School - there must be photos of it out there somewhere - but I have managed to find some of Marion Street/Camden Street, admittedly only from the mid-70s, but they're better than nothing...

Description: Marion Street looking west
Attached picture Marion_Street_looking_west.jpg

Description: 30-68 Marion Street & Star Yachts (Denye's)
Attached picture 30-68_Marion_Street_+_Denye's.jpg

Description: 21-43 Marion Street
Attached picture 21-43_Marion_Street.jpg

Description: 62-68 Marion Street
Attached picture 62-68_Marion_Street.jpg

Description: Camden Street from Conway Street
Attached picture Camden_Street_from_Conway_Street.jpg

Description: Camden Street/Dacre Street junction
Attached picture 81-95_Camden_Street.jpg

Description: Camden Street/Marion Street junction
Attached picture 57-79_Camden_Street.jpg

Description: 32-36 Camden Street and the Angel
Attached picture 32-36_Camden_Street_+_Angel.jpg

Description: Camden Street, Price Street end
Attached picture Camden_Street,_Price_street_end.jpg

Description: Rowland Street looking towards Marion Street
Attached picture 27-49_Rowland_Street.jpg
Posted By: cathcart Re: cathcart street school and marion street - 23rd May 2011 9:55pm
fantastic marty very emotional great place to be brought up in. nearly got our house 75,marion street in,great to see denyes.
Posted By: cathcart Re: cathcart street school and marion street - 25th May 2011 8:01pm
where did you find these great pics marty,im amazed how clear they are,good as digital.
Posted By: chriskay Re: cathcart street school and marion street - 25th May 2011 10:04pm
Originally Posted by cathcart
good as digital.

LOL, digital still has some way to go before it matches the best of film, and I doubt it will ever match 10" by 8" glass plates.
Posted By: cathcart Re: cathcart street school and marion street - 26th May 2011 11:35am
i would never have thought that thanks thats interesting.
Posted By: littlestan Re: cathcart street school and marion street - 26th May 2011 10:12pm
Thanks for all those pics. Brilliant ! For pics of Cathcart St School - I wonder
if you have asked at the Reference Library on Borough Road or at Wirral Archives
on Shore Road .
Posted By: cathcart Re: cathcart street school and marion street - 27th May 2011 4:44am
found the headteachers log from cathcart street. found my name in for passing the elementary exam,[11 plus],going to go and go through it to find what happened 1952-58,fascinating.thats at the archives,very helpfull staff,great memories.
Posted By: cathcart Re: cathcart street school and marion street - 31st May 2011 8:44pm
hi marty have tried to get my e mail address to you but cant get through on my stuff,
Posted By: LinKeogh Re: cathcart street school and marion street - 20th Sep 2011 11:49am
These foties are great,Bring back so many memories for me.I was born in 44 rowland st+lived there until i was 6.My mum+dad drank in THE CROWN PUB+even when we moved up to rock ferry they still got the bus 2 the crown every weekend.Although we moved I still went back to rowland street every weekend to stay at my aunty eileens+uncle stans,They lived in their house right up 2 the time they were getting knocked down.Their daughter who was also called eileen married alfie o,donnell+moved into the house next door but 1 to her mum+dad.I have loads of GREAT memories of all these places.My friend linzy padmore use to live in marion st right on the corner her house is in the pics as her nan use to run the bookies right nxt door+u could get thro it from her house.Cant rem the shop name that was on the corner of rowland st but do rem the 1 in the middle by the entry use 2 be called Mrs Hunts she was a lovely little old lady+we use 2 get 1p walker toffee sweets there,also at the top of the street was Dennys shop+if i remember well denny the man always had a snotty nose+grunted alot,naver spoke much+was never really that polite.On the corner of Leta st was a chippy,These pics have brought all my memories bk,THANKS
Posted By: cathcart Re: cathcart street school and marion street - 20th Sep 2011 2:16pm
hi lin,i posted this thread. i have been trying for stuff about marion st. for a while. marty sent me a load of photos,fantastic. i lived at 75,marion street from 1952-1960. are house was owned by denyes and my nan worked in the angel.great place to live,no matter what some people have said.
Posted By: LinKeogh Re: cathcart street school and marion street - 3rd Oct 2011 12:37pm
Yeah we loved it there 2.My mum died 4yr ago+my sis has all her old foties,I have asked her for them+she has sorted them all out,I just need 2 get there+pic them up.There will be lots of pics even cathcart st school as i no me,my sister+brother went there.They are both older than me.Will try+ sort pics asap. smile
Posted By: cathcart Re: cathcart street school and marion street - 3rd Oct 2011 1:55pm
fantastic lin ive sent you a pm.
Posted By: cathcart Re: cathcart street school and marion street - 27th Oct 2011 4:38am
i note there has been an influx of new members.im still looking for photos of marion street and cathcart street school before it was demolished.
Posted By: cathcart Re: cathcart street school and marion street - 12th Dec 2011 5:16pm
i would like to get in touch with LinKeogh,you have a few photos of marion street,cant get on your pm as its full,thanks lin.
Posted By: Bennie Re: cathcart street school and marion street - 16th Nov 2012 8:50pm
Hi little Stan, I also went to Cathcart st and passed the 11 plus, it was a great little school. I got married in St.Peters church there, it was a brilliant area to grow up in. Bennie.
Posted By: alfie48 Re: cathcart street school and marion street - 19th Nov 2012 4:24pm
Great pictures anyone have pictures of Payson street it was by Cathcart st I believe
Posted By: cathcart Re: cathcart street school and marion street - 19th Nov 2012 4:34pm
hi bennie,what year did you pass the 11 plus.
Posted By: ColinW Re: cathcart street school and marion street - 25th Apr 2013 10:46pm
Ive just come across this site and the memories have all come flooding back I lived in Rowland Street from 1960 until around 1971 and then moved to Lord St opposite what was at the time the social services building and the school dentist,I have sent Lin a pm as I lived 2 doors down from her in number 38 plus I also went to Cathcart St and then left to go to Conway middle for 2 years the headmaster at Cathy and Conway was Mr Powell who I met many years later and he still remembered me and I then went onto Birkenhead institute,I can remember a few first names of the kids i used to play with in the street but a lot of surnames escape me, I think the shop on the corner of Rowland St and Marion St was called Dolly's she used to give my mum tick till dad got paid on a thursday lol. I am now living in Glasgow and to find a site like this has really made my day and am looking forward to more memories
Thanks everyone
Colin Williamson
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: cathcart street school and marion street - 25th Apr 2013 10:51pm
Hi, Welcome to Wiki. I noticed Lins last post was on 3rd Oct 2011. So I wouldn`t have much hope for a reply. Cheers
Posted By: ColinW Re: cathcart street school and marion street - 25th Apr 2013 11:05pm
Thanks Zipper was worth the try
Wow, memories for me just reading your post. I lived in Leta Street when I was a kid. I often think of Denny's, I remember wondering if the bit of snot on the end of his nose was going to fall into whatever he was wrapping. I remember the toffee sweets at 2 for a 1d, I can remember going to that shop, but could not remember the name of the shop. I went to Cathcart street school.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral