Forums
Posted By: Bezzymate Vaughan's shop,Martin's Lane. - 2nd Jan 2011 4:27pm
Does anyone remember going into this shop? It is still there but has been closed for a long time.
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Vaughan's shop,Martin's Lane. - 2nd Jan 2011 4:28pm
There used to be one opposite Huddlestones butchers and another nearly opposite the Saddle
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Vaughan's shop,Martin's Lane. - 2nd Jan 2011 4:40pm
It is the one by the Saddle I remember.
Come to think of it there was also one on Liscard Road,corner of Bell Rd.
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Vaughan's shop,Martin's Lane. - 2nd Jan 2011 4:43pm
And one on Rake Lane opposite the Queens
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Vaughan's shop,Martin's Lane. - 2nd Jan 2011 4:44pm
Every Morn think of Vaughans was above all their doorways
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Vaughan's shop,Martin's Lane. - 2nd Jan 2011 4:57pm
So it was. Where they a chain then?
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Vaughan's shop,Martin's Lane. - 2nd Jan 2011 5:00pm
I think they were a small local chain. They always seemed a bit seedy to me. Everything I had out of there it was stale
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Vaughan's shop,Martin's Lane. - 2nd Jan 2011 5:10pm
Yes that's what started me on this topic. My hubby remembers buying sweets in the 60's and the paper bag they were in had 'help the war effort'or something similar written on it.
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Vaughan's shop,Martin's Lane. - 2nd Jan 2011 5:23pm
I got the same bags in 1977...
Posted By: Helles Re: Vaughan's shop,Martin's Lane. - 2nd Jan 2011 6:41pm
It's actually Withens lane you are talking about. They had another one on Seabank road. Mr Vaughan but god knows which one ran the Withens lane one and we used to go in there from Manor road school. Not the nicest of men although we were all schoolboy scallies, and as stated previously the sweets were suspect. I can remember them being done in later years for selling rancid sweets.

Every Morn think of Vaughan(s) Pretty crap that really!
Posted By: Touchstone Re: Vaughan's shop,Martin's Lane. - 2nd Jan 2011 7:39pm
I seem to remember going to a sweet shop in Withens Lane opposite the Saddle in the late 1980s. Some horrible old bag was running it. It seemed very dirty and the old bag was like something out of a Roald Dal story.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Vaughan's shop,Martin's Lane. - 2nd Jan 2011 7:42pm
That's tha one! I thought that it was Martins Lane but it must be a continuation of Withens.Very dark smelly shop with black floor boards.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Vaughan's shop,Martin's Lane. - 2nd Jan 2011 7:45pm
Hey maybe the 'ghosty 'lot could go in there,looks like it could haunted!
Posted By: Touchstone Re: Vaughan's shop,Martin's Lane. - 2nd Jan 2011 7:50pm
It was probably worse than the infamous Sweet Corner by Oldershaw.
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Vaughan's shop,Martin's Lane. - 3rd Jan 2011 1:31pm
do u remember the bakery next door to it ? we used to buy "sally luns" and "mersey splits" in there at lunchtime
Posted By: Capt_America Re: Vaughan's shop,Martin's Lane. - 3rd Jan 2011 2:26pm
I am sure there was one in Grove Road on the corner of Keswick Road which had the same motto over the door and the name in mosiac on the floor.
Posted By: carcol2006 Re: Vaughan's shop,Martin's Lane. - 4th Jan 2011 6:57pm
Wasn't Vaughans a make of Tobacco I remember the shops use to go to Withensfield school also went to Oldershaw and used to go into the Tuck Shop on the corner of Leander Road and buy Kali lumps really good for the teeth and mint cracknel mmmmmm,mmmmmm
Posted By: janjan Re: Vaughan's shop,Martin's Lane. - 4th Jan 2011 9:43pm
My brother used to deliver papers for the shop on martins lane many years ago..there was a laundry next door which i think is still there. The one on withins lane was the 'main' shop and was where Mr Vaughn worked.It had a post office inside. The shop on the corner of Bell road (now closed) had a number of owners after vaughns sold it..i vaguely recall it being after his death. It was the end of an era when he died.
Posted By: petethebike Re: Vaughan's shop,Martin's Lane. - 16th Mar 2011 11:34am
Hi,I lived in Bell Road and remember the shop being called ,Heals,Heels or Healds,in the '50s.My father thought the owner a bit "flash" as he had a Jaguar Xk140!Can't comment on the sweets though as I never really got the sweet tooth bug.Down to rationing in my early years.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Vaughan's shop,Martin's Lane. - 1st Aug 2011 9:08am
Found this with a list of their shops,there where more than I thought!

Attached picture 193215_10150213017011057_699086056_8447572_8333984_o.jpg
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Vaughan's shop,Martin's Lane. - 3rd Aug 2011 10:04pm
'Every morn think of Vaughn's' it certainly was. Here are the Rake Lane and Grove Road ones...

Attached picture Rake Lane A.jpg
Attached picture Rake Lane B.jpg
Attached picture Grove Road.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral