Forums
Posted By: cathcart figure 8 lake birkenhead park - 30th Dec 2010 6:32am
i discovered the figure 8 lake in birkenhead park earliy this year. its a lovely place, very peaceful,with lots of wildlife,especially newts. surprising how many other people dont know about it,i must go on one of the days with the rangers.
Posted By: davew3 Re: figure 8 lake birkenhead park - 30th Dec 2010 1:56pm
Would that be the Lone Ranger,in my time we had the Park Police headed by Sgt Woodcock who we affectionately called Sgt Plankdick.
As kids we tended to be always in the wrong part the park and always at the wrong time,so our physical exercise in the art of running away from the dear Sgt and his playmates was paramount to our safety,those park coppers had eyes in the back of their heads and a nose for trouble,
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: figure 8 lake birkenhead park - 30th Dec 2010 2:06pm
There are a couple of Ranger led walks in the New Year. Damn, i've binned the leaflet, ring up and enquire smile
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: figure 8 lake birkenhead park - 30th Dec 2010 3:53pm
It is not supposed to be fished, re the notice at the gate, but you do see pillocks maggot drowning in there. Never see any wardens though.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: figure 8 lake birkenhead park - 30th Dec 2010 3:54pm
Originally Posted by davew3
Would that be the Lone Ranger,in my time we had the Park Police headed by Sgt Woodcock who we affectionately called Sgt Plankdick.
As kids we tended to be always in the wrong part the park and always at the wrong time,so our physical exercise in the art of running away from the dear Sgt and his playmates was paramount to our safety,those park coppers had eyes in the back of their heads and a nose for trouble,

Woodcock also carried a long truncheon instead of the little 'un. I think it must have been a Sgt's staff of authority. he was probably a decent bloke really.
Posted By: bert1 Re: figure 8 lake birkenhead park - 30th Dec 2010 3:54pm
Which lake is supposed to be like a figure 8, and i thought it was permit maggot drowning.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: figure 8 lake birkenhead park - 30th Dec 2010 4:14pm
i thought the fig 8 was the little school kids one at the top end of bottom park. Don't tell me I've been wrong. There were still blokes fishing in it though.
Posted By: bert1 Re: figure 8 lake birkenhead park - 30th Dec 2010 4:21pm
Oh that one, we used to call that, the secret garden, just off the roadway, its alright to fish in the big lake, isn't it.
Posted By: cathcart Re: figure 8 lake birkenhead park - 30th Dec 2010 4:55pm
when i was a kid in the 50s we never had problems with the police, marion street boys were well behaved !
Posted By: davew3 Re: figure 8 lake birkenhead park - 30th Dec 2010 9:55pm
Since when ? devil raftl
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: figure 8 lake birkenhead park - 30th Dec 2010 9:58pm
I thought it must be tongue in cheek!
Posted By: arsenal Re: figure 8 lake birkenhead park - 31st Dec 2010 4:27pm
unlike us bentinck street lads smile
Posted By: rocketqueen Re: figure 8 lake birkenhead park - 31st Dec 2010 4:32pm
arsenal my family were bentninck st lads....heard the tales omg lol x
Posted By: derekdwc Re: figure 8 lake birkenhead park - 31st Dec 2010 4:44pm
a bit off topic - sorry
How many pubs were there 6?
Royal Standard 2 Bentinck Street Conway st,
Bentinck Arms 25 Bentinck Street
Chester Hotel 39 Bentinck Street
Little Red House 59 Bentinck Street Crown st
Stag Hotel 73 Bentinck Street 73
Beresford 63 to 65 Bentinck Street
Scotch Thistle 93 to 95 Bentinck Street

any pics of them please
Had my first drink in one of them when about age 16
Posted By: rocketqueen Re: figure 8 lake birkenhead park - 31st Dec 2010 4:57pm
derek omg where there more pubs than houses in that road lol x no wonder they call them the good old days xxx
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: figure 8 lake birkenhead park - 31st Dec 2010 5:17pm
You must have been in them all again, I was asking where the bloody figure 8 lake was in Birkenhead Park, now I'll never know. Fishing is allowed in the big lakes but not that little one. Fishing didn't used to be allowed in the Top Park, I was surprised to see that it was now allowed. It'll only have what the cormorant leaves anyway, which won't be a lot.
Posted By: Bradinho Re: figure 8 lake birkenhead park - 2nd Jan 2011 3:16pm
Originally Posted by cathcart
i discovered the figure 8 lake in birkenhead park earliy this year. its a lovely place, very peaceful,with lots of wildlife,especially newts. surprising how many other people dont know about it,i must go on one of the days with the rangers.

If you enjoyed the wildlife and relaxtion of that part of the park then why not visit RSPB Inner marsh Farm - I'd say its just as relaxing www.rspb.org.uk/innermarshfarm
© Wirral-Wikiwirral