Forums
Posted By: bert1 Weighing Machines - 9th Dec 2010 10:36am
Looking at the York Hotel thread and noticed the old weighing machine outside the bingo, got me thinking, which is dangerous, did they have one in Woolies in Grange Rd? and did you have to put a penny in, to work it?, i seem to remember them always being red and very heavy. stolen pic below.

Attached picture York_Hotel.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Weighing Machines - 9th Dec 2010 11:15am
You are quite right Bert. I remember it in Woolies too. I rescued a slightly smaller one made by Avery. Was in an old chemist's shop in Glasgow. Sadly, it was converted to 1p from 1d. It stands in the hall and use it to frighten myself on a daily basis. It is HEAVY - VERY HEAVY! Enamelled cast iron ! Use it as a 1p money box !!

When he was here, I caught chriskay trying to jemmy the coinbox open. Times must be hard in Shrewbury !
Posted By: starakita Re: Weighing Machines - 9th Dec 2010 11:23am
I can remember Woolies having one of those machines. They had them in chemists shops as well.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Weighing Machines - 9th Dec 2010 11:24am
Cheers Pinz, fascinating having one in the hall, keep your eye on that Chris, sounds a bit of a lad, i also remember a talking one somewhere, can't remember where, Old joke, penny in, "get off you fat ba........."
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Weighing Machines - 9th Dec 2010 11:40am
....or penny in....."One at a time please"
Posted By: littlestan Re: Weighing Machines - 9th Dec 2010 3:38pm
They have got one of these in the Chemists on Bebington Road, just by Tescos
and opposite Fairs Camera Shop . Takes one ' new' penny these days.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Weighing Machines - 9th Dec 2010 3:44pm
I remember the one in the old liscard market.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Weighing Machines - 9th Dec 2010 5:11pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
You are quite right Bert. I remember it in Woolies too. I rescued a slightly smaller one made by Avery. Was in an old chemist's shop in Glasgow. Sadly, it was converted to 1p from 1d. It stands in the hall and use it to frighten myself on a daily basis. It is HEAVY - VERY HEAVY! Enamelled cast iron ! Use it as a 1p money box !!

When he was here, I caught chriskay trying to jemmy the coinbox open. Times must be hard in Shrewbury !

& if you'd had a decent jemmy, I'd have succeeded. If I'd known you were so poorly equipped, I'd have brought my own.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral