Forums
Posted By: jabber_Ish charing cross - 2nd Dec 2010 10:04am
can anyone shed any light on the history of this building in Charing Cross pls.

I only noticed it for the first time the other day , no camera with me so this pic will have to suffice for now

Attached picture ccross.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: charing cross - 2nd Dec 2010 10:11am
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_Buildings,_Birkenhead
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: charing cross - 2nd Dec 2010 10:23am
thanks bert1 smile
Posted By: Nigel Re: charing cross - 2nd Dec 2010 10:34am
Originally Posted by bert1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_Buildings,_Birkenhead

Kimpri1 kindly showed me how to do this.

Click here
Posted By: Rover Re: charing cross - 2nd Dec 2010 11:23am
I think this building was "The Gearbox" Mens boutique in the 70's The best place for your Ben Sherman shirts & Wrangler Jeans etc. Them was the days
Posted By: derekdwc Re: charing cross - 2nd Dec 2010 11:36am
I think somewhere on wikiwirral it says there used to be a church on that corner
Posted By: jimbob Re: charing cross - 2nd Dec 2010 9:44pm
The workmanship that went into that whole block of buildings is fansastic. Stand on the other side of the road and study the detail of the stone work, the roof work, the window details and every thing else on the exterior of the buildings. there are not that many other building left in Birkenhead with that workmanship and in such good condition.
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: charing cross - 3rd Dec 2010 8:48am
i know its a stunning bit of craftsmanship
Posted By: chriskay Re: charing cross - 3rd Dec 2010 12:11pm
I had a mate at school whose father was the manager of the bank there; Martins Bank at the time
Posted By: ChrisNewcastle Re: charing cross - 5th Feb 2011 9:23pm
I used to work in the building next door (when it was Christopher Thomas solicitors)It's a strange building with a stone spiral staircase and the basement I don't think was touched at all over the years (except for electric)it was stone bare walls that were painted white but it had a strange smell damp and very musty.
I don't think it's as old as it looks though.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral