Forums
Posted By: Roslynmuse Wallasey heathland - 29th Oct 2010 7:07pm
Funny how one thread gets you remembering other things. I've been reading the Breck Road thread and had a memory from I guess around 1977 - 78 when a bit of heathland near to there (possibly between Station Road and Breck Road?) was taken over by the developers and houses were built on it.

Two questions - can anyone remember exactly where this was/is; and what was the name of that bit of land before it was 'developed'?

I was at school (Somerville Middle) at the time and had a few friends who lived near there and who were incensed by the thought of the land being built on - I remember serious conversations about petitions and sit-ins; how idealistic we could be aged 12 or 13!
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Wallasey heathland - 29th Oct 2010 8:07pm
Burford Avenue?
We used to live there, the house was brand-new when we bought it. Don't remember for sure what year, maybe 1975/6? It's in-between Breck Rd / Bluebell Woods and Station Rd...
Posted By: Helles Re: Wallasey heathland - 29th Oct 2010 8:13pm
It belonged to Spillers and was their sports and social club/football pitches. Heathbank. Entrance is still there on Breck road.
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Wallasey heathland - 29th Oct 2010 8:18pm
Originally Posted by Helles
It belonged to Spillers and was their sports and social club/football pitches. Heathbank. Entrance is still there on Breck road.
Right you are! I had clean forgotten that!
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: Wallasey heathland - 29th Oct 2010 8:29pm
Heathbank - brilliant! thanks!
Posted By: Capt_America Re: Wallasey heathland - 29th Oct 2010 9:44pm
What a fantastic works club. Went to my ucles wedding do there 1965.
Posted By: Helles Re: Wallasey heathland - 29th Oct 2010 10:11pm
Originally Posted by Capt_America
What a fantastic works club. Went to my ucles wedding do there 1965.

Went to watch my uncle play football there in the 50's. Couldn't believe it when we got free pork pies etc after the game. Well we were poor and times were hard. You youngsters have never had it so good! wink
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Wallasey heathland - 29th Oct 2010 10:43pm
was this where there is or was a lodge or something on Breck road
and you went up a steep winding driveway to a mansion that may have been Spillers club and I think 1 or 2 pitches
Played football there poss 1960s
Posted By: Tatey Re: Wallasey heathland - 30th Oct 2010 3:32am
derekdwc, thats the place, Heathbank was as has been said Spillers social club & my parents used to play tennis there. I also remember a bowling green & the big clubhouse.
Posted By: Helles Re: Wallasey heathland - 30th Oct 2010 7:48am
I think the house was one of the mansions of Wallasey at one time. There is a book "The mansions of Wallasey" out there somewhere that might have it in?

The lodge house on Breck road is still there.
Posted By: tigertiger1953 Re: Wallasey heathland - 30th Oct 2010 9:51am
I think it is mentioned in Mansions of Wallasey.
Posted By: LisaW Re: Wallasey heathland - 30th Oct 2010 2:26pm

Heathbank is mentioned in this link to ..'s website smile Link
© Wirral-Wikiwirral