Forums
Posted By: tigertiger1953 MINES AS COLLECTING BOXES - 27th Oct 2010 9:39am
What happened to the dissarmed naval mines that used to be used around the Wirral as charity collection boxes? There was one in New Brighton with no horns (magnetic mine?) and one with horns maybe at Woodside Ferry and then there was a huge 16 or 18 inch shell located I think at Seacombe ferry. Where did they go?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: MINES AS COLLECTING BOXES - 27th Oct 2010 10:29am
Spotted one near the jetty in Girvan last week, but they seem to be a rarity now. Like most of the others that seem to have vanished, it was a big collection box for the RNLI. That was the first one I've seen for years either on the Wirral or up here.

Yes tiger, the one at Woodside had it's horns on. I suspect they were brass dummy ones, as the originals were quite thin brass tubes. Just a cover for the glass tube within, known as a Hertz Tube. When the glass is broken, acid inside instantly activates a basic battery and fires the detonator. Alarm and despondency follows immediately !

Posted By: Tatey Re: MINES AS COLLECTING BOXES - 27th Oct 2010 5:05pm
There is still one on the quay at Conway, in front of The Liverpool Arms.
Posted By: 24424m Re: MINES AS COLLECTING BOXES - 27th Oct 2010 7:01pm
....and there was one at Moelfre on Anglesey, although I haven't been for several years.
Posted By: bazzoh Re: MINES AS COLLECTING BOXES - 27th Oct 2010 7:53pm
my late dad used to work for the council and there was at least one dumped in the dock road depot - few years ago though
Posted By: tigertiger1953 Re: MINES AS COLLECTING BOXES - 27th Oct 2010 9:19pm
That might be the one from New Brighton. How sad.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: MINES AS COLLECTING BOXES - 27th Oct 2010 9:36pm
If I remember correctly, there is a big bomb collecting box at Fort Perch Rock, I'm probably wrong (and DD will correct me as he was there at the same time as I) but I think it was there.
Posted By: w10694 Re: MINES AS COLLECTING BOXES - 31st Oct 2010 11:16pm
One at Saltburn from a few weeks ago:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: MINES AS COLLECTING BOXES - 31st Oct 2010 11:31pm
Originally Posted by w10694
One at Saltburn from a few weeks ago:

[Linked Image]

Thanks, always wondered what they looked like, bigger than i thought happy
Posted By: w10694 Re: MINES AS COLLECTING BOXES - 31st Oct 2010 11:37pm
They usually have spikes on them. There are some at Witherensea - perhaps it's a Yarkshire thing !
© Wirral-Wikiwirral