Forums
Posted By: nightwalker Sandbrook House, Moreton - 14th Oct 2010 10:11am
During the 1880s my great grandparents, Richard and Mary Jones lived at Sandbrook House in Moreton (Mary died there in 1886). I assume that this house was in the Sandbrook Lane area but haven't been able to find it on any of the old maps of the time. Presumably it's been well demolished. Anyone out there got any info?
Posted By: LisaW Re: Sandbrook House, Moreton - 14th Oct 2010 10:21am
Have you found Richard and Mary on the 1881 census? If so, you can look at the census pages before and after to check the street names and this should narrow down the area for you

If you need any help, pm me Richard and Mary's place and year of births and i'll look at the census records for you smile

Posted By: nightwalker Re: Sandbrook House, Moreton - 14th Oct 2010 10:35am
Thanks, Lisa, but they weren't there in 1881 and Richard had moved on by 1891. I first found out about SH from Mary's burial records and since found Richard living there in a Kelly's directory showing him as a "Gentleman"! Apparently he made a fortune as a Contractor in Birkenhead when it was expanding in the middle of the century. In 1886 he was 71 so I assume he had retired and SH would have been a fairly substantial property. thanks again for the offer and suggestions
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Sandbrook House, Moreton - 16th Oct 2010 11:35am
Don't hold me to ransom on this....but I think the house stood on the corner of present Sandbrook Lane and Hoylake Road. Flats now occupy the site. Sacred Heart Church is on the opposite corner.
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Sandbrook House, Moreton - 16th Oct 2010 12:51pm
I thought that Sacred Heart church was built on Smith's Farm, and on the opposite corner, where the flats are, was Stanley's Farm.

That said, I'm having trouble finding references to Sandbrook House.

Sandbrook Cottage was part of Smith's Farm.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Sandbrook House, Moreton - 16th Oct 2010 2:03pm
From my site on Wallasey Churches :-

In 1955 the [old] church was demolished and a new rustic brick design with a tower was built on the former site of Smith's Farm. The foundation stone was laid on 25th June 1955. The Church then re-opened on 26th June 1957 and cost £42,000.

Posted By: uptoncx Re: Sandbrook House, Moreton - 16th Oct 2010 2:26pm

Found it - Sandbrook House was on the same side of Sandbrook Lane as Sacred Heart Church, but further down on the other side of Glebelands.
Posted By: nightwalker Re: Sandbrook House, Moreton - 16th Oct 2010 3:10pm
Thanks for all your searching. The only two mentions I've got of Sandbrook House are in Mary's burial records in 1886 which state "brought from Sandbrook House, Moreton" and Kelly's directory of 1892 which shows Richard as living in Sandbrook House in Moreton.
The info I posted to Lucy was wrong. Richard was living in Moreton in 1871,1881 and 1891. Unfortunately, on all the census records the address is just shown as "The Village". In 1871 he was a farmer of 160 acres and was recorded next to George Piggott (farmer of 110 acres) and Job Thomas (Baker and Grocer). 1881 he was only farming 13 acres and was recorded next to Samuel Broad, the Blacksmith and a farm labourer. 1891 recorded as a Retired Contractor and shown next to two farm labourers.
Posted By: nightwalker Re: Sandbrook House, Moreton - 16th Oct 2010 3:11pm
Brilliant! How did you discover it?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Sandbrook House, Moreton - 16th Oct 2010 4:58pm
Uptonx doesn't live in a house - its called a library lol.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral