Forums
Posted By: chev_chelios Bit of mid 80s history wanted. - 25th Sep 2010 11:41pm
Anyone got pics of the cement/concrete factory in the dips on the prom. My m8 thinks im winding him up. Ta.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Bit of mid 80s history wanted. - 26th Sep 2010 5:13am
If your meaning a cement manufacturing site/factory where raw materials are brought in from a quarry and processed and bagged, etc, etc. The size of such a place would be memorable, can't say i remember anything like that, thats not saying it didn't exist. Could it be you are thinking more on the lines of a Ready Mix type of place where they mix the concrete and deliver to site. Also if any construction work was going on in the area at that time, it wasn't unusual for the builders to set up their own temporary concrete mixing site.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Bit of mid 80s history wanted. - 26th Sep 2010 6:47am
Originally Posted by stephen1972
Anyone got pics of the cement/concrete factory in the dips on the prom. My m8 thinks im winding him up. Ta.

Never ever saw one!
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: Bit of mid 80s history wanted. - 26th Sep 2010 9:46am
It was when they did the breakwater. It was the dip where the tunnel is.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Bit of mid 80s history wanted. - 26th Sep 2010 10:10am
I remember it but I thought it was where they made those weird concrete things that they used on the enbankment at Moreton to slow the speed of the incoming tide down,to save damage and stop the tide picking up the sand and dumping it elsewhere as those groynes do
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: Bit of mid 80s history wanted. - 26th Sep 2010 10:21am
Yeah it was there that they made the wierd things and then transported them to the beach.

Attached picture 2668343642_254ecf590c.jpg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Bit of mid 80s history wanted. - 26th Sep 2010 10:35am
I have seen pictures of it, so worth looking - they are around somewhere.
Posted By: MrG65 Re: Bit of mid 80s history wanted. - 26th Sep 2010 8:59pm
That was in the dip adjacent to the subway to the foreshore. The Contractor was Alfred McAlpine. They were definitely there in Summer 1985. Might have an old picture in a drawer somewhere...........

The precast concrete units in the picture were/are called Reef Blocks (there were type I and II to achieve interlock). The other type of precast unit (like the ones up against the wall by the subway, and at Harrison Drive, and lining Leasowe Bay slipway edges, and at various other locations around Wirral, were/are called Diode Units (again, two types were made).
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: Bit of mid 80s history wanted. - 26th Sep 2010 9:08pm
Ta! I knew it was there.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral