Forums
Posted By: L_JAI hoylake / new brighton ww2 ? - 8th Aug 2010 7:53pm
I have just been out with the kids on the rocky little island just off hoylake shore (in between hoylake and hilbre island) and the kids noticed holes drilled into the sandstone. These holes are equally spaced apart and form squares (we spotted three of them), there is also a line of holes drilled into what looks like a flattened piece of sandstone. Does anyone know if anything was ever built there? My intial thought is that it has something to do with coastal defences during WW2.
Also up at new brighton (at the start of the concrete walkway going from the old derby pool to moreton is a large hill with a cocnrete base panel fence in front of it- some graffiti on this refered to it as a gun site, is this true?)are there any pictures ?
and finally does anybody know why they havent built on borough road playing fields near the shafts boys club??? There have been loads of surveys performed and rumours of another estate being built but it has never happened. I heard a rumour suggesting it was because it used to be a quarry for brick making. any info on the above would be great as would old pics of the mount estate!
Posted By: buddy Re: hoylake / new brighton ww2 ? - 8th Aug 2010 7:59pm
Definitely a gun site near Derby Pool towards Moreton - sorry no pictures
Posted By: jimbob Re: hoylake / new brighton ww2 ? - 8th Aug 2010 8:45pm
the playing fields behind the houses on Borough road are where one of the new schools was going to be built. When the council anounced that a acadamy was to be built to take the place of rock ferry high and park high they also mentioned on the side that a boys acadamy was to be built on the school playing field behind the mount estate houses on borough road.
Posted By: Capt_America Re: hoylake / new brighton ww2 ? - 8th Aug 2010 9:39pm
Welcome to the machine L JAI. I am intrigued about the drilled holes, anyone got a clue? Oh amd the gun site had a rocket battery as well there is a fairly pecent topic in one of the forums about it.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: hoylake / new brighton ww2 ? - 8th Aug 2010 10:12pm
The rocket battery was in the dips I think.

The "gunsite carpark" was indeed a ww2 gunsite but the correct location has no remains as far as I am aware, its a bit that juts out into the sea a little bit.

I seem to remember the remains of a sign on the rocks you are talking about, it was fairly heavy because it is tidal there. Maybe some of the other old-foggies can remember better.
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: hoylake / new brighton ww2 ? - 8th Aug 2010 10:35pm
The area by the old Derby Pool site has been rebuilt so much over the last 30 years I doubt if anything original remains from WW II.
Posted By: Tatey Re: hoylake / new brighton ww2 ? - 9th Aug 2010 5:14am
The gunsite you refer to (I think)is the one that was situated at the end of what Google maps refer to as the continuation of Green Lane, we always called it the cinder track as that's what it was made from. Nothing now remains of the site & any debris is under the sandhills. We used to play on the guns as kids.

The holes in the rock near Hilbre may be part of the anchoring devices for the cable that ran to Hilbre Island for the dummy oil burning sites in the war. There are threads on here somewhere on both of these.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral