Forums
Posted By: cathcart holy trinity church. - 1st Jul 2010 6:19am
i went to sunday school at holy trinity in the 50s. would like pictures and memories please.
Posted By: Nigel Re: holy trinity church. - 10th Sep 2010 10:11am
I would be interested in any information on what happened to the church organ after the church was demolished apparently in the mid to late 70's. The instrument was a "Hardy &Sons" N04322 Any information would be of great help Thanks.

http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi?Fn=Rsearch&rec_index=N04322

And where was the church exactly - Ie: at the junction of (Where)?
Posted By: Helles Re: holy trinity church. - 10th Sep 2010 5:49pm
Is this the Hoylake one? The grave yard is still there and has the grave of a Victoria Cross holder quite near the entrance.

Attached picture Holy Trinity Hoylake 002.JPG
Posted By: Nigel Re: holy trinity church. - 10th Sep 2010 5:56pm
Originally Posted by Helles
Is this the Hoylake one? The grave yard is still there and has the grave of a Victoria Cross holder quite near the entrance.

No Helles, It is the Holy Trinity church that was on Price street Birkenhead that I am interested in, sorry for any confusion.
Posted By: bert1 Re: holy trinity church. - 10th Sep 2010 6:20pm
probably been put up before, link for churches

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/chs/birkenhead.html
Posted By: Helles Re: holy trinity church. - 10th Sep 2010 6:44pm
Originally Posted by Nigel
Originally Posted by Helles

No Helles, It is the Holy Trinity church that was on Price street Birkenhead that I am interested in, sorry for any confusion.

No problem. Strange both churches with the same name knocked down though. It would appear that the most popular name for a church in Wirral is Christchurch. A bit more useless info for you!
Posted By: Nigel Re: holy trinity church. - 15th Sep 2010 9:48pm
Originally Posted by cathcart
i went to sunday school at holy trinity in the 50s. would like pictures and memories please.

Was that church once to the left of the working mens club in Hoylake - they still use the graveyard there today? What year was the church demolished?
Posted By: uptoncx Re: holy trinity church. - 15th Sep 2010 10:36pm

Holy Trinity Church, Price Street in 1910:

Attached picture holytrinity.jpg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: holy trinity church. - 15th Sep 2010 10:40pm
Isn't that a beautiful building!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: holy trinity church. - 16th Sep 2010 12:53am
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Isn't that a beautiful building!

A much nicer area without vehicles everywhere too!
Posted By: cathcart Re: holy trinity church. - 16th Sep 2010 5:23am
thanks great picture brings back memories, cathcart.
Posted By: Nigel Re: holy trinity church. - 19th Sep 2010 8:25pm
Originally Posted by cathcart
thanks great picture brings back memories, cathcart.

Were abouts in the church was the Organ? At the back above the door by any chance? Was it removed and relocated before the church was demolished in the late 70's? And if so where is it now? Any help gratley appreciated.
Posted By: Nigel Re: holy trinity church. - 11th Oct 2010 7:52pm
Holy Trinity church, Price Street, Birkenhead. Was unfortunatley vandalised after being left empty and disused. Demolised in 1976 so sad.

Attached picture HolyTrinity Birkenhead.jpg
Posted By: Nigel Re: holy trinity church. - 1st Nov 2010 4:05pm
Anyone any info on this lovely old building please ?
Posted By: Nigel Re: holy trinity church. - 10th Nov 2010 9:31am
I found out were this church one stood!

www.genuki.org.uk/cgi-bin/churchmap?T=SP,CCC=CHS,ID=313
Posted By: kimpri Re: holy trinity church. - 10th Nov 2010 2:22pm
I found out were this church one stood!

www.genuki.org.uk/cgi-bin/churchmap?T=SP,CCC=CHS,ID=313
clicky
Posted By: Nigel Re: holy trinity church. - 10th Nov 2010 2:56pm
Thanks Kimpri1
Posted By: Nigel Re: holy trinity church. - 11th Nov 2010 9:49am
The church of the Holy Trinity, situated in Price-street, is somewhat remarkable, as regards design and architectural ornament; it is in the Norman style, but considerably modified, is built of stone, is 102 feet in extreme length, 56 feet in breadth, and will accommodate 1000 persons. The principal entrance is by a deep, recessed, ornamented doorway, having two windows above supported on small arches, grotesque heads being introduced at the various points of contact; the tower rises to the height of 88 feet, and is highly embellished with mouldings and pierced work. The living is in the patronage of H. Williams, Esq. St. John's church is of new red sandstone, and was built at the expense of J. S. Jackson, Esq., Joseph Mallaby, Esq., and others; it stands in Grange-lane road, and presents one of the most perfect specimens of the early English style in the neighbourhood, is of very imposing appearance, and of large dimensions. In the chancel are stained-glass windows representing St. John, St. Paul, and St. Peter, and in the north and south aisles are others, with various arms. The living is in the patronage of Trustees.

From: 'Bintree - Birkenhead', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 248-255. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50801 Date accessed: 11 November 2010.
Posted By: nickie Re: holy trinity church. - 10th Jul 2011 8:26pm
my grandparents where married in this church ((
its the grassey area on price street in between the buildings ou cant miss opposite the carpark for conway park
Posted By: Nigel Re: holy trinity church. - 11th Jul 2011 1:47pm
Have you any photos of the inside of the church or around it that you could scan and put on here please? That would be a great help?
Posted By: marty99fred Re: holy trinity church. - 13th Jul 2011 9:15pm
Holy Trinity in the early 60s...

Attached picture Holy Trinity 1.jpg
Attached picture Holy Trinity 2.jpg
Attached picture Holy Trinity 3.jpg
Attached picture Holy Trinity 4.jpg

Description: The interior before the vandals got at it.
Attached picture Holy Trinity 5.jpg

Description: Looking along Price Street
Attached picture Price Street 1.jpg

Description: Rear view from Russell Street
Attached picture Russell Street.jpg
Posted By: Nigel Re: holy trinity church. - 14th Jul 2011 9:08pm
WOW, Fantastic! Marty99 truly amazing, thank you so much for posting the photos. Are they from a book or are they personal shots? And are there any more maybe of that Organ visible in one of the shots?

Many Thanks.
Posted By: marty99fred Re: holy trinity church. - 15th Jul 2011 12:12pm
Three of the shots are from old glass slides, the rest are from negs I had access to many years ago. Unfortunately there's only the one shot of the interior.
Posted By: Nigel Re: holy trinity church. - 15th Jul 2011 12:24pm
Originally Posted by marty99fred
Three of the shots are from old glass slides, the rest are from negs I had access to many years ago. Unfortunately there's only the one shot of the interior.

Thanks anyway, Have you still got access to the slides now or do you know were they are? Can you post any more on here? I would be interested in viewing the rest with you if you haven't got the time to post them?
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: holy trinity church. - 15th Jul 2011 12:30pm
wow look at those quality motors om pic 7

the streets are so quiet on all the pics wow
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: holy trinity church. - 15th Jul 2011 2:45pm
My in-laws were married there in 1947.
Thankyou for posting them,I will show them to Mum.
Posted By: bri445 Re: holy trinity church. - 15th Jul 2011 3:58pm
Originally Posted by Robbo_theMan
wow look at those quality motors om pic 7

Vauxhall Cresta estate? Triumph 'Mayflower' Austin/Morris 'Something'?
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: holy trinity church. - 15th Jul 2011 4:24pm
Vauxhall Victor estate, perhaps? Definitely a Mayflower! No idea on the other one!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: holy trinity church. - 15th Jul 2011 4:41pm
I think its a Victor Estate as well, it had some funny roundings on the edges, the Cresta was very sharp lines. Strangely I can't remember Mayflowers. The other car looks a bit Wolsley-ish or some other BMC variant - which would be the norm for the era.
Posted By: bri445 Re: holy trinity church. - 15th Jul 2011 5:15pm
Yes, could be a Victor VX4/90...

Attached picture Victor VX4-90.jpg
Posted By: Nigel Re: holy trinity church. - 15th Jul 2011 8:16pm
In the rear view of the church (from Russell street) What are we looking at directly behind the church? Is it the vicarage? Who was the parish priest here?
Posted By: Onbirkenhead Re: holy trinity church. - 8th Oct 2011 1:19pm
Yes I had a look at the present site the other day after realising my garndparents married there and my mum and aunties/uncles were all christened ther. I sort of like how its been left as a field rather than being built upon. Feels like a little bit of respect for the past. And the little lane is still called Trinity Lane. Please, does anybody have an actual photo of the church round about the 20s or 30s?
Posted By: Nigel Re: holy trinity church. - 5th Oct 2012 8:59am
A view of Holy Trinity church on price street taken from Eldon gardens in 1964 ........ A bit before my time!

Attached picture Holy Trinity-Eldon gardens.jpg
Posted By: Nigel Re: holy trinity church. - 5th Oct 2012 7:59pm
Holy trinity school 1927.

Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: Geoff1954 Re: holy trinity church. - 8th Nov 2012 4:51pm
Hi I'm new to this site...I lived in Ellon street 57 and was baptised in the church in 1955
Posted By: cathcart Re: holy trinity church. - 8th Nov 2012 6:25pm
do you mean eldon street ,did you go to cathcart street.
Posted By: marty99fred Re: holy trinity church. - 8th Nov 2012 6:42pm
In the rear view of the church (from Russell Street) What are we looking at directly behind the church? Is it the vicarage? Who was the parish priest here?

Bit late with the answer to this one, but never mind. The building directly behind the Church was the Church School. For those who are interested, the War Memorial boards from Holy Trinity are now displayed in the searchroom at Wirral Archives.
Posted By: Geoff1954 Re: holy trinity church. - 8th Nov 2012 8:24pm
No I went too trinity street but lived next to Cathcart street annex
Posted By: Nigel Re: holy trinity church. - 8th Nov 2012 9:18pm
In the rear view of the church (from Russell Street) What are we looking at directly behind the church? Is it the vicarage? Who was the parish priest here?

Bit late with the answer to this one, but never mind. The building directly behind the Church was the Church School. For those who are interested, the War Memorial boards from Holy Trinity are now displayed in the searchroom at Wirral Archives.

Where abouts is "Wirral Archives" please?
Posted By: chriskay Re: holy trinity church. - 8th Nov 2012 10:31pm

Where abouts is "Wirral Archives" please?

Shore Rd. Cheshire Lines building.
Posted By: cathcart Re: holy trinity church. - 9th Nov 2012 5:32am
have you any pictures of the area in the 50s or 60s geoff.
Posted By: cathcart Re: holy trinity church. - 9th Nov 2012 5:33am
forgot to add,i lived on marion street,i went to cathcart street.
Posted By: Geoff1954 Re: holy trinity church. - 9th Nov 2012 9:44am
No sorry I've no photos I lived in Ellon street opposite Alex Taylor funerals went to trinity street then hemingford street
Posted By: Nigel Re: holy trinity church. - 15th Nov 2012 5:07pm

I went to view the war memorial board last week, the board itself was originally at Holy Trinity Birkenhead, and was moved in 1972/1974 to St Winifreds, along with the then priest in-charge "Taffy Evans", the board was moved to its present location because St Winifreds in rumoured to be scheduled for demolision.
Posted By: cathcart Re: holy trinity church. - 15th Nov 2012 5:57pm
still dont know where ellon street is or was.
Posted By: Geoff1954 Re: holy trinity church. - 15th Nov 2012 8:45pm
Sorry it's Elldon street my stupid iPad too sensitive lol
Posted By: Nigel Re: holy trinity church. - 7th Jul 2013 5:02pm
A couple more of Holy Trinity I found on Facebook.

Posted By: mikeeb Re: holy trinity church. - 16th Oct 2021 2:50pm
Does anyone know why this land has never been built on, was there some kind of covenant in place to prevent the land being used?
Posted By: Nigel Re: holy trinity church. - 16th Oct 2021 9:18pm
Originally Posted by mikeeb
Does anyone know why this land has never been built on, was there some kind of covenant in place to prevent the land being used?

Not sure Mike why the land has never been built on after the demolition all those years ago. I suspect it may just be a location think, could be due to the fact that it is consecrated land? Maybe its purely out of respect for the past?

Glad Trinity Lane is still there though.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: holy trinity church. - 17th Oct 2021 9:21am
Don't you find it a bit strange though?
Old church grounds hasn't stopped buildings going up in the past. There was one with a graveyard on Conway Street which was covered when they built the flyovers for the tunnel, and the Bus station is covering it now.
Intriguing.
Posted By: Salmon Re: holy trinity church. - 17th Oct 2021 9:37am
It is a grade 2 listed building same as Holy Cross in Birkenhead and probably others . So any changes need special permission from the relevant authorities.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: holy trinity church. - 17th Oct 2021 12:24pm
Originally Posted by Salmon
It is a grade 2 listed building

There is no building there. It was demolished some time in the 70s and the land has been left empty since.

53°23'42.8"N 3°01'21.7"W

Are you confusing this church which was on Price Street with the one in Spital?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: holy trinity church. - 20th Oct 2021 12:40am
Don't you find it a bit strange though?
Old church grounds hasn't stopped buildings going up in the past. There was one with a graveyard on Conway Street which was covered when they built the flyovers for the tunnel, and the Bus station is covering it now.
Intriguing.

Urban myth, there was no graveyard at St Andrew's, there may have been some memorial stones but definitely no graves.

Apparently the Holy Trinity land is owned by Adam's Self Storage, they appear to have obtained that land before they moved in to the T-Systems (printers) building next door. They owned that land in (or before) 2009 and the storage opened around 2011-12 I think.
Posted By: bert1 Re: holy trinity church. - 20th Oct 2021 6:11am
https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/948317/diggingdeeper.html

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C2602681
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: holy trinity church. - 21st Oct 2021 2:03am

The Kew entry is interesting, it indicates that gravestones were removed from St Andrews in 1967 the same year the flyovers were built.

Prior to 1967 there was no real sign of a graveyard, it was just grassland with a few trees. I didn't allow for the graveyard closing so long ago in 1879. I guess the graves had collapsed and been turfed over.

There are marriage records (1900 - 1943) in London, there are baptism records (1839 - 1951) in Liverpool, there are pew rent records (1856 - 1880) in Wirral, 1860 plans in Chester. The church was bought by the Council in 1955 and the records of this are in the Wirral Archive which probably details the land.
Posted By: bert1 Re: holy trinity church. - 21st Oct 2021 7:32am
It appears only a trip to Kew will find the answer to who was buried there unless the records eventually come on line. As I said previously, I do remember headstones being there, what I can't remember, were they above a grave or leaning up against a wall. I wonder what happened to the headstones, were they laid down and landscaped over?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: holy trinity church. - 21st Oct 2021 4:28pm
Originally Posted by bert1
It appears only a trip to Kew will find the answer to who was buried there unless the records eventually come on line. As I said previously, I do remember headstones being there, what I can't remember, were they above a grave or leaning up against a wall. I wonder what happened to the headstones, were they laid down and landscaped over?

Deceased Online are gradually scanning the RG37 records in and they appear to be doing a mixture of graveyards and cemeteries, most sites only concentrate on cemeteries. https://www.deceasedonline.com/serv...RIBUTORS&context=NATIONALARCHIVERG37

The marriage certificates I mentioned earlier as being in London (Presbyterian Historical Society) have been amalgamated with the URC records and moved to Westminster University.

I should also mention that FamilySearch in Salt Lake City have microfiche copies of some of St Andrew's records but as with many sites the search facilities are for individuals, not locations, however the staff appear to offer help for free, I'm busy at the moment but may contact them next year. https://www.familysearch.org/en/
Posted By: mikeeb Re: holy trinity church. - 23rd Oct 2021 12:21pm
The Kew entry is interesting, it indicates that gravestones were removed from St Andrews in 1967 the same year the flyovers were built.

My friends dad worked on the groundworks for the new flyovers and said they dug up an old graveyard. Also said the bodies were all re-interred elsewhere but wasn't sure where.
Sadly I can't ask him for more info about it because he passed away a few years ago.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: holy trinity church. - 24th Oct 2021 4:31pm

My friends dad worked on the groundworks for the new flyovers and said they dug up an old graveyard. Also said the bodies were all re-interred elsewhere but wasn't sure where.
Sadly I can't ask him for more info about it because he passed away a few years ago.

I've come across loads of 3rd party reports but none of the 1st party reports (of which there have been many, including myself) remember the graveyard or clearly remember the location of gravestones or were involved in the re-internment, which is why I had gradually come round to discount it.

3rd party reports have Adolf Hitler eating fish and chips in Parkgate during the middle of the war, they are worth investigating but not taken as gospel without better evidence - which we now have, a re-internment definitely took place in 1967.
Posted By: dingle Re: holy trinity church. - 14th Nov 2021 6:11am
That photo looks like the one opposite Oak and Eldon Gardens. If it is I did Xmas Eve there with my then girl friend Maria Foord. I mid to late 60's.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral