Forums
Posted By: Archaeo Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 28th Jun 2010 8:03pm
Hi All,

I'm an archaeologist from Wirral, and am next year finally beginning my doctorate in Early Medieval Archaeology (not decided a title yet though!).

I've also for the past three years been a professional tour guide in Chester for members of the public and also for school tours.

I'm planning on funding my doctorate by widening my tours to local archaeological sites in Cheshire, and intend on starting a few of these tours this summer. I'm planning on running a 'taster' walking tour concentrating on the Medieval archaeology of Wirral, and am planning on charging £5.00 per head for a tour that will last around two hours. If these prove popular, I'll probably put up the price but expand the tours to suit.

Would anyone be interested in this service? I'm just doing a bit of market research so feedback if welcome.

Cheers.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 28th Jun 2010 8:09pm
I`m sure there`d be a few interested on here, especially if you could tell them new things.
Do you know anything about the new brighton tunnels by any chance?
think
Posted By: Archaeo Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 28th Jun 2010 8:12pm
To be honest, nothing at all! I'm an early-Medievalist at heart, but also have well researched Roman and later medieval Wirral.

There will be things on the tour that you can never read in a book, because I'll be teaching people to read their local landscape. By the end of the tours, you'll be discovering new things on your own if you've got a keen eye and a bit of patience!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 28th Jun 2010 8:19pm
Well it sounds good to me, i`m sure you have a passion for this type of thing or you wouldn`t be doing it, which in turn means it could be a good tour.
smile
Posted By: Archaeo Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 28th Jun 2010 8:20pm
Thanks, well I'll post on here when I've got a date in mind, most likely a weekend afternoon. I've already got a few takers.
Posted By: Toaster Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 28th Jun 2010 8:21pm
withthat
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 28th Jun 2010 8:24pm
Good luck happy
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 28th Jun 2010 10:36pm
sounds good to me bud! sure some of our wiki walkers would be interested! smile £5 per head wow maybe me and d.d. should start charging lol wink
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 28th Jun 2010 10:55pm
yup- i'd be interested too- t.c- i aint forgot about the lasagne promise!! lol popcorn
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 28th Jun 2010 11:08pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
yup- i'd be interested too- t.c- i aint forgot about the lasagne promise!! lol popcorn
i didnt wink
will bring the tribe lol laugh when we get back! grin
Posted By: alidoodle Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 1st Jul 2010 3:36pm
Hi. I would be very interested in joining your tour of wirral. Hope it goes ahead.
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 1st Jul 2010 4:31pm
very keen on this
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 2nd Jul 2010 7:56pm
Originally Posted by deano606
Hi All,

I'm an archaeologist from Wirral, and am next year finally beginning my doctorate in Early Medieval Archaeology (not decided a title yet though!).

I've also for the past three years been a professional tour guide in Chester for members of the public and also for school tours.

I'm planning on funding my doctorate by widening my tours to local archaeological sites in Cheshire, and intend on starting a few of these tours this summer. I'm planning on running a 'taster' walking tour concentrating on the Medieval archaeology of Wirral, and am planning on charging £5.00 per head for a tour that will last around two hours. If these prove popular, I'll probably put up the price but expand the tours to suit.

Would anyone be interested in this service? I'm just doing a bit of market research so feedback if welcome.

Cheers.
any dates in mind yet bud?
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 13th Mar 2011 1:19pm
Anything sorted on this?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 13th Mar 2011 3:02pm
That sounds great, myself and my good lady would love that.
Posted By: Archaeo Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 14th Mar 2011 7:13am
Hi Guys, these are going to go ahead this summer. I'm just finishing a big piece of research off. I think I'll offer a free tour for members of this website first in exchange for feedback and suggestions. I'll post details on the thread once I've working times and dates out.
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 14th Mar 2011 8:29am
look forward to this
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 14th Mar 2011 9:42am
Hi Guys, these are going to go ahead this summer. I'm just finishing a big piece of research off. I think I'll offer a free tour for members of this website first in exchange for feedback and suggestions. I'll post details on the thread once I've working times and dates out.

well looking forward to this deano mate thumbsup keep us updated smile
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 14th Mar 2011 10:34am
lIST FOR FREE TOUR (Even small charge tour)
Who's interested

1 derekdwc
2 TRANCENTRAL
3 RUDEBOX
4 PLUSONE
5 jabber
6 Sedate + good lady
Posted By: Archaeo Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 14th Mar 2011 12:49pm
I think it's best to limit this to 10 for now, and this will certainly be free of charge. What I plan to do is break these up into local areas so they can be walked.

First tour will be from Storeton to Thingwall and I'll mainly be concentrating on the Early Medieval period as this is my area of interest. Topics will cover a general historical outline, evolution of the landscape, boundaries, a bit of archaeological theory and I'll include a printed fact-file to take away, including a copy of the LIDAR survey work I've done of the area.

Glad there's a bit of interest, hope it goes well.
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 14th Mar 2011 1:00pm
I think it's best to limit this to 10 for now, and this will certainly be free of charge. What I plan to do is break these up into local areas so they can be walked.

First tour will be from Storeton to Thingwall and I'll mainly be concentrating on the Early Medieval period as this is my area of interest. Topics will cover a general historical outline, evolution of the landscape, boundaries, a bit of archaeological theory and I'll include a printed fact-file to take away, including a copy of the LIDAR survey work I've done of the area.

Nice one mate Thanks again

lIST FOR FREE TOUR (Even small charge tour)
Who's interested

1 derekdwc
2 TRANCENTRAL
3 RUDEBOX
4 PLUSONE
5 jabber
6 Sedate + good lady
7 poodlepup

only ltd to 10 peeps so names on the list please cool
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 14th Mar 2011 1:02pm
I would also love to be on the list please

sounds great well done Deano

list updated smile
Posted By: hoseman Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 15th Mar 2011 7:32pm
1 derekdwc
2 TRANCENTRAL
3 RUDEBOX
4 PLUSONE
5 jabber
6 Sedate + good lady
7 poodlepup
8 Hoseman
This all depends on date and times tho, work committments etc, but would be VERY interested in this.
Thank you Deano

Posted By: MattLFC Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 16th Mar 2011 9:54am
I love anything to do with the middle ages, and id be interested, but I have reservations regarding the amount of (or rather lack of) medieval history and moreso anything to actually see in that area.

Is there anything to be seen, or is it just as easy (and more convenient) to read it in a book/on the net? Not much point going out if theres nothing to actually see and its all just theory and story.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 16th Mar 2011 10:58am
Originally Posted by MattLFC
I love anything to do with the middle ages, and id be interested, but I have reservations regarding the amount of (or rather lack of) medieval history and moreso anything to actually see in that area.

Is there anything to be seen, or is it just as easy (and more convenient) to read it in a book/on the net? Not much point going out if theres nothing to actually see and its all just theory and story.

withthat
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 16th Mar 2011 11:51am
1 derekdwc
2 TRANCENTRAL
3 RUDEBOX
4 PLUSONE
5 jabber
6 Sedate + good lady
7 poodlepup
8 Hoseman
9 Alex85

Sounds really interesting. Always up for broadening my horizons!

Nelzy may also be up for this. Good walk and some natter!
Posted By: BennyBoy Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 17th Mar 2011 1:44pm
1 derekdwc
2 TRANCENTRAL
3 RUDEBOX
4 PLUSONE
5 jabber
6 Sedate + good lady
7 poodlepup
8 Hoseman
9 Alex85
10 Benno653

This sounds really interesting. I would like to join the tour aswell.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 17th Mar 2011 3:05pm
Originally Posted by BennyBoy
1 derekdwc
2 TRANCENTRAL
3 RUDEBOX
4 PLUSONE
5 jabber
6 Sedate + good lady
7 poodlepup
8 Hoseman
9 Alex85
10 Benno653

Did you forget your username BennyBoy? doh
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 17th Mar 2011 3:16pm
Trancentral thanks for addng my name,can you also make it plus friend thanks
Posted By: hoseman Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 22nd Mar 2011 7:15pm
Any times and dates knocking around for this pub crawl??
Are the rounds in alpherbetical order or do we have to have a penis showing competition to find out? seeyu
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 22nd Mar 2011 8:10pm
1 derekdwc
2 TRANCENTRAL
3 RUDEBOX
4 PLUSONE
5 jabber
6 Sedate + good lady
7 poodlepup
8 Hoseman
9 Alex85
10 Benno653
11 poodiepup plus1

any dates yet bud?
Posted By: davymac Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 23rd Mar 2011 2:36am
Really love the idea of archaeological tour.Fascinating stuff.I would most definately be up for this tour.
Are all the places gone now or would there be room for one more.
Posted By: Archaeo Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 23rd Mar 2011 7:16pm
Hi guys, this seems to be popular with a lot of people. What I propose to do is to run the first as a freebie, then run more every other month and charge a few quid per head which I intend to donate to a local charity, possibly Age Concern or Claire House (I'm planning to contact one of these soon so they can provide receipts, so people don't think I'm pocketing it!). These will definitely take place in the next month or so, therefore I'll get in touch soon with an itinerary.

Cheers
Posted By: Don_Quixote Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 25th Mar 2011 2:56pm
1 derekdwc
2 TRANCENTRAL
3 RUDEBOX
4 PLUSONE
5 jabber
6 Sedate + good lady
7 poodlepup
8 Hoseman
9 Alex85
10 Benno653
11 poodiepup plus1
12 Don (possibly)

As I am looking to be an archeologist this could be a great help to me.... But is only a possobility
Posted By: Don_Quixote Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 25th Mar 2011 2:56pm
Possibility*
Posted By: Wench Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 25th Mar 2011 3:22pm

I love archaeology and would be very interested in going on the walk. One question though - is it going to be a fast paced walk and would it be suitable for someone with limited walking ability?

Cheers, Jac.
Posted By: Billynomates Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 26th Mar 2011 9:22am
Recommend you take out some kind of public liability insurance mate if this becomes a regular thing. Better safe than sorry. Besides which it doesn't cost that much. I used to know someone who did guided walks like these. They also did First-Aid training. Peace of mind if nothing else. Don't let it put you off though.
Posted By: davymac Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 17th Apr 2011 8:32am
Are the tours still going ahead?
Posted By: Archaeo Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 17th Apr 2011 5:55pm
yes mate, I've decided to run these to raise a little bit of money for Age Concern. They're now providing me with a CRB check, and should be going ahead at the end of next month.
Posted By: davymac Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 19th Apr 2011 12:19am
great mate thanks for the info. can you put my name on the list please. Looking forward to this.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 19th Apr 2011 9:46am
I'm still up for this
Would we be seeing the 'saxon bridge'(was in the Fender post) in Landican on the way?
As wench has mentioned would it be an amble or brisk walk ?
Posted By: rocks Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 19th Apr 2011 11:27am
can you put me on the list please
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 19th Apr 2011 4:29pm
1 derekdwc
2 TRANCENTRAL
3 RUDEBOX
4 PLUSONE
5 jabber
6 Sedate + good lady
7 poodlepup
8 Hoseman
9 Alex85
10 Benno653
11 poodiepup plus1
12 Don (possibly)
13 davymac
14 rockferry67

As I am looking to be an archeologist this could be a great help to me.... But is only a possobility
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 20th Apr 2011 7:27am
Few questions,

1.Do we have a date yet?
2.Is it an easy walk for the likes of Wench?
3.Are you allowing more than ten people, as originaly stated?

I would love to be added to the list if possible,please.
Posted By: hoseman Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 23rd Apr 2011 6:13am
1 derekdwc
2 TRANCENTRAL
3 RUDEBOX
4 PLUSONE
5 jabber
6 Sedate + good lady
7 poodlepup
8 Hoseman + miss Hoseman
9 Alex85
10 Benno653
11 poodiepup plus1
12 Don (possibly)
13 davymac
14 rockferry67

Have we any news yet. Its the ideal time of year (NOT raining!!) but not this week as twisted me ankle and missus fed up carrying me around! Dont think she cud manage a mile!
Posted By: rocks Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 23rd Apr 2011 8:58am
Originally Posted by hoseman
1 derekdwc
2 TRANCENTRAL
3 RUDEBOX
4 PLUSONE
5 jabber
6 Sedate + good lady
7 poodlepup
8 Hoseman + miss Hoseman
9 Alex85
10 Benno653
11 poodiepup plus1
12 Don (possibly)
13 davymac
14 rockferry67
15 bezzymate

Have we any news yet. Its the ideal time of year (NOT raining!!) but not this week as twisted me ankle and missus fed up carrying me around! Dont think she cud manage a mile!
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 23rd Apr 2011 9:46am
1 derekdwc
2 TRANCENTRAL
3 RUDEBOX
4 PLUSONE
5 jabber
6 Sedate + good lady
7 poodlepup
8 Hoseman + miss Hoseman
9 Alex85
10 Benno653
11 poodiepup plus1
12 Don (possibly)
13 davymac
14 rockferry67
15 bezzymate
16 Snooze

I would be interested to come on one of the walks - obviously the second round as we've now definitely gone past 10 smile

Might be a good idea to plan the route then walk it to see how long it would roughly take a small hoard of wikiwirralians to do...
First aid definitely a good idea to get, even if its the most basic level.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 23rd Apr 2011 10:40am
yes mate, I've decided to run these to raise a little bit of money for Age Concern. They're now providing me with a CRB check, and should be going ahead at the end of next month.

Think he needs the above sorted before a definite date can be sorted - patience
I think with number of names, if he can manage that many a small charge each as there may not be enough people for a second trip
It is for a charity
Posted By: Archaeo Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 23rd Apr 2011 6:47pm
Hi Guys...impressed about the interest. Everything all sorted now. This first tour will be taking place either 28th/29th May. Like I've said before, I'm going to ask for a small donation for these tours (£2 for first one) with every penny going to Age Concern Wirral. I'm also planning to do a few evening lectures primarily on the landscape of the North West to raise funds for the same cause which I should be able to get a few cool guest speakers for.

I'll post some more information in the next week or two, but essentially I intend to walk from Storeton Hall across to Thingwall (with perhaps a stop at the Bassett Hound if it's hot) then through Landican and back to Storeton. It's about 3 miles, and there's a few stiles to cross, but relatively flat land.

I'm now happy to open this up to any amount of numbers, and promise you'll learn some really exciting new info about this intriguing part of Wirral.

Thanks for your interest and support for a local charity!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 23rd Apr 2011 7:37pm
Hi. Could i request the week later please?
several of us are playing out on the 28th and may need to recover on the 29th. smile
Posted By: rocks Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 27th Apr 2011 1:14pm
can we have a defo date soon please this weekend may not suit quite a few of us
Posted By: Archaeo Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 27th Apr 2011 1:51pm
Rockferry, it was next month I put down, not this weekend. Unless I get major people who can't make it, it will be the morning of 28th May, probably starting around 11am.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 27th Apr 2011 6:35pm
Who's ok for this 28th May

1 derekdwc yes
2 TRANCENTRAL
3 RUDEBOX
4 PLUSONE
5 jabber
6 Sedate + good lady
7 poodlepup
8 Hoseman + miss Hoseman
9 Alex85
10 Benno653
11 poodiepup plus1
12 Don (possibly)
13 davymac
14 rockferry67
15 bezzymate
16 Snooze
17 missguided
Posted By: hoseman Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 27th Apr 2011 6:38pm
Thanks Deano, realy looking forward to this.
Just keep us in the loop, times, dates and locations!
Thanks in advance mate.
Posted By: rocks Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 27th Apr 2011 6:40pm
when i put "this weekend" i meant the one you have picked, 7 people on the list have plans for then, i'll pass your msg on
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 27th Apr 2011 7:16pm
No sorry can't make that date!
Please remove my name and 1 friend,thanks
Posted By: rocks Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 28th Apr 2011 3:03pm
defo cant make that date
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 28th Apr 2011 3:49pm
ok let's try a new list for who CAN make it MAY 28/29 and see how it fits in to deano606 schedule
or whether a new date or if need be a 2nd trip can be arranged for those who can't make that date

1 derekdwc
Posted By: Archaeo Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 28th Apr 2011 8:15pm
guys, I'm happy to make it another date. Don't worry about it. Perhaps suggest a date in early June and as long as its a weekend I should be ok to do it.
Posted By: hoseman Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 28th Apr 2011 8:19pm
I just wanna go out!!!!
I can make any date (except with a young ladeee, as my missus wud kill me!!)
As we have a vast number would 2 dates be better for peeps?
2 dates, 2 lists, 2 trips out for meeee!!! wink
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 9th Jun 2011 8:44pm
deano606
Any update on this please
If it's still on, set a date and we'll do a new list of who is still interested in doing it
Posted By: Jess53 Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 21st Jun 2011 11:20am
Hi would kike to know if any of these would be suitable for less mobile folk? I am able to walk, but not too far these days without the use of a crutch( old age??!!!!)but would really enjoy these.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 29th Jun 2011 7:56pm
Sounds like a good idea! If a series of these walks is to be planned I'd be interested, especially in anything up to early medieval. A three mile plod would not be beyond me.
Posted By: davymac Re: Archaeological Tour of Wirral - 3rd Jul 2011 8:59am
Count me in. Just need to know the dates and times.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral